ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

How much tape is to much tape..

jfdupuis

For some reason I tend to get on some razors (usually with wider bevel)a better edge with more layers of tape. For example I just honed up my Super Doll with two layers of tape then two more for the unicot for a total of 4. How many layers do you guys think is too much and what are some of the negative effects for doing so?

Thanks

JF

jfdupuis said:
For some reason I tend to get on some razors (usually with wider bevel)a better edge with more layers of tape. For example I just honed up my Super Doll with two layers of tape then two more for the unicot for a total of 4. How many layers do you guys think is too much and what are some of the negative effects for doing so?

Thanks

JF
More than two layers of tape is to too much .You can do it if the steel is very hard to avoid
microfactures.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Please give me more explanation abought your question.
Emmanuel

sorry about that..I guess my question is..why is two okay and 4 too much? I understand that you might have to let a big more sag in your strop to effectively hit the tiny bevel.

Well.1) adding more layers the angle becoming more obtuse 2)do not forget that tape is lexible.
More tape more flexibility more angle instability.

rgds
emmanuel

jfdupuis
Are you content with my answers or you need more?
Emmanuel

thank you for replies. We will see how the edge performs when I shave tonight. I plan on having a backup razor handy in case this one does not perform to my standards.

Cheers,

JF

I agree with Emmanuel, for me 2 layers is always enough, and more than 3 cause more trouble than they are worth, despite popular belief I find a little slack in the strop works wonders too.

The reason you seem to get better results with more layers, is the bevel you create is smaller, and smaller bevels respond more easily to honing.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

well tried the razor and very underwhelming. THe problems I was having with the Fily 13 appears to be over though. Had a very nice 2 pass shave with it.

Back