ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

I need a frend with a lathe

Smythe

Is there anyone with a lathe?... preferably in the US (for reasons of economic shipping).

I have a project coming up and need different sized wheels turned from wood (or plastic if possible)… metal would be ideal, but I that may be too difficult to work and expensive to ship (plus wood works for the purpose just as well)… any wood will do, and doesn’t have a solid one-piece, it can be put together and then turned… so long as it’s strong and won’t fall apart under pressure.

4, 6, 8 and 10 inch diameter at 1&1/2 to 2 inch wide if it’s possible.
Of course nothing is free... especially for the amount of work this may involve, and I will be more than happy to compensate for your troubles... so Anyone out there please let me know.

Hmmmm... not sure if this should be in the marketplace WTB/WTT....

I wish I could help you, but I'm moving soon and don't think I'll have access to a metal lathe in my new location (and don't think I have enough time to do it before I move). Good luck. I'll let you if my situation changes.

Smythe said:
Not if you plan an illustrated thread about what you're up to with those wheels...B)

Good luck with the search,
Bart, without lathe.

danjared said:
I wish I could help you, but I'm moving soon and don't think I'll have access to a metal lathe in my new location (and don't think I have enough time to do it before I move). Good luck. I'll let you if my situation changes.

Thanks, the project is still in the wind (hopefully before September)... metal lathe is great, so long as you don't mind turning wood.

Bart said:
Smythe said:
Not if you plan an illustrated thread about what you're up to with those wheels...B)

Good luck with the search,
Bart, without lathe.

OK I will let the cat out the bag... plan to build-a-better grinder... most folks use belt sander to grind those near wedge razors... I beleve a belt sander is the worst machine to grind/re-grind razors beccause (like the Dremel) the tool runns too fast so there is verry little control.
I plan to do it the old fashion way... with abrasive wheels... incidentally the inspiration was from the "Torbens Razor arrived today" thread
http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/294.html

A few months ago I kludged together a few tools, and a makeshift wheel and built a prototype and ground a few razors better than expected, but the reliability of the machine left much to be desired (it was a kludge) so now i plan to do it better... on the cheap of course... if all goes well i will publish my findings, and then maybe belt-driven razor-grinding may be a thing of the past, and we hail the return of the wheel.

Bart!! Thanks for the link… I had no idea they made wheels up to 1200 grit, and in 4, 6 and 8 inch size…:thumbup: indeed I searched some time ago but couldn’t find any.

I may just get those wheels if making them from wood proves to be impractical… but making my own wheels may be cheaper… and certainly more fun!

I have an acquaintance who has a lathe and makes pens. I'm not sure if it's big enough to do what you want, but if you want, I can ask... Additionally, I have another buddy who made pipes for a bit. I bet he has one that would do it.

hmmm...

richmondesi said:
I have an acquaintance who has a lathe and makes pens. I'm not sure if it's big enough to do what you want, but if you want, I can ask... Additionally, I have another buddy who made pipes for a bit. I bet he has one that would do it.

hmmm...
Yes, even 6 inches diameter I quite large for the average lathe… consider this: A Compact Disk is 4&1/2 inches, and a large frying pan is about 10 inches.

Now a Metal Lathe that can handle 10 inches is a HUGE machine… Standing on the floor to chest height is about the size of a 6 seat dining table, and is about as heavy as a 6 passenger car (don’t think my wife would be pleased to have it in the apartment), that lathe will easily manage a one inch diameter pen blank but it’s overkill. However a smaller table-top lathe designed for pen blanks would have quite a difficult time managing a 4 inch work-piece… let alone 10 inches.

On the other hand, the average woodworking lathe could manage 6 inches… I know some folks use them to turn salad bowls, and that’s exactly what I want… well, not the salad bowl.

Yes please do ask.

I will.

On a side note, I know a guy with a huge metal lathe like you referenced. Problem is, even though we are friendly, he'd probably charge for its use. He's not known for his generosity :lol:

Smythe said:
richmondesi said:

hmmm...
Yes, even 6 inches diameter I quite large for the average lathe… consider this: A Compact Disk is 4&1/2 inches, and a large frying pan is about 10 inches.

Now a Metal Lathe that can handle 10 inches is a HUGE machine… Standing on the floor to chest height is about the size of a 6 seat dining table, and is about as heavy as a 6 passenger car (don’t think my wife would be pleased to have it in the apartment), that lathe will easily manage a one inch diameter pen blank but it’s overkill. However a smaller table-top lathe designed for pen blanks would have quite a difficult time managing a 4 inch work-piece… let alone 10 inches.

On the other hand, the average woodworking lathe could manage 6 inches… I know some folks use them to turn salad bowls, and that’s exactly what I want… well, not the salad bowl.

Yes please do ask.

I gave it some thought. If you'd like a 10 inch wheel, send me a design and stock so that it arrives by Wednesday this week, and I can do it for you. I can't make all of them for you in time, but I can make you the 10" one while I still have access to such large industrial metal lathes. If you have a CAD file, I can also have it CNCed for you. (The student shop here has a HAAS CNC lathe in addition to normal ones.) I won't charge you for the work, just ask that you pay shipping and for materials.

As said on the size Cedders, I would love to help but alas my little Metal lathe cant handle things that big, oh yeah and theres the 6,000 mile thing too!.....lol

My warmest wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

danjared said:
I gave it some thought. If you'd like a 10 inch wheel, send me a design and stock so that it arrives by Wednesday this week, and I can do it for you. I can't make all of them for you in time, but I can make you the 10" one while I still have access to such large industrial metal lathes. If you have a CAD file, I can also have it CNCed for you. (The student shop here has a HAAS CNC lathe in addition to normal ones.) I won't charge you for the work, just ask that you pay shipping and for materials.
It’s a very simple, the exact same shape as an ordinary grinding wheel but made of wood… so think of a round chopping block 10 inches in diameter with a ½ inch hole in it. The only complication is that the face should be square and parallel to the hole so here is no wobble when it’s mounted on the machine.

I did a search on ebay and found various sized round wooden chopping blocks, the only thing that would need to be done is to drill a hole in the center, then chuck the block at the center, then balance the wheel and square off the face… done.

tat2Ralfy said:
As said on the size Cedders, I would love to help but alas my little Metal lathe cant handle things that big, oh yeah and theres the 6,000 mile thing too!.....lol

My warmest wishes
Ralfson (Dr)
That’s OK Ralfy… I thought of you first but 6,000 miles also came to mind…
But still, we should discuss making dies to stamp out bearing/washers in one pass. I will send you a diagram when I get the chance to draw them up.

Also… one of these days we should discuss plans for an automatic preening machine.

Yes... it's summer... and the Mad Scientist in me is awake... now where's that "evil laugh" smiley?

Back