ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

I thought it was lost forever.

kinematic

A few years ago I bought my first Coticule, I was looking for a good whetstone for my chisels and it was relatively cheap. I didn't know anything about Coticules and I was very suprised by how fast it was. Unfortunately I lost it about 2 years ago but today my girlfriend found it. It's a small stone (only 10x4 cm) but what it lacks in size it makes up for in speed. Even without a slurry the stone turns dark-grey very fast. It also hardly produces any slurry during sharpening but it's still very fast. It's a hard stone but it feels very smooth and soft, almost velvet like. I'm glad to have it again, I thought it was lost forever.

abbe2373461668.gif
e09b9873461669.gif
13c67173461672.gif
086bdd73461673.gif

Click on the thumbnails for a bigger size.

Nice!!!:w00t:
I love lost and found stories. lucky you.
Maybe Bart can tell whet layer it's from.

Could be possibly "La Petite Blanche", but I'm far from sure. The color seems not right. It also appears to be a glued combo? If so it's form the pre Ardennes era. "La Petite Blanches" have a blue section in the Coticule slice, but on this one it looks more like manganese than blue. Perhaps it's from a layer I'm not familiar with, maybe even from on now closed mine.

Best regards,
Bart.

It's definitely not glued. It's hard to tell from the pictures but trust me. I also bought it directly from Ardennes wich is also why I know it's not glued. As for the lines in the Coticule, I also think it's manganese. As I understand it manganese is one of the main ingredients in forming garnets. That could explain why it's so fast, it's likely to be packed with garnets.

Back