ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

I'd like a mellower edge

life2short1971

Is there a technique I can use to to to get a mellower edge from La Veinette than I am getting? I have gone from not passing an HHT to consistent HHT4 and I can do this this with just the coticule now and no use of BBW but I am finding the edges a little too brisk now. My La Petite is a hair better but still between engaging and brisk. I am open to suggestions and Thank you.

Well m not sure how useful my input will be.

Once I took a stropped edge finished on my BBW with misty slurry and shave tested. Ive got a wiry beard, and Im guessing I need a keener edge than I'm getting now (I'm working on that). Anyway, I tried to hone the edge keener by doing light x-strokes on water on the BBW. It lowered the feel of the hht, but the test shave was quite different.

There was slightly more tug, but the shave was more forgiving of pressure. Less irritation with heavier pressure. It wasn't duller, because it was still cutting hairs closer than my pre-BBW shaves.
Mellowed edge?

Perhaps try that, a few on the BBW on just water? I've read that a coticule on water puts high finishing keeness, which doesn't seem to carry to
My BBW.

life2short1971 said:
Is there a technique I can use to to to get a mellower edge from La Veinette than I am getting? I have gone from not passing an HHT to consistent HHT4 and I can do this this with just the coticule now and no use of BBW but I am finding the edges a little too brisk now. My La Petite is a hair better but still between engaging and brisk. I am open to suggestions and Thank you.

Thats very odd, I find the La Veinette edges to be extremely smooth and forgiving, they most certainly get even smoother as they get sharper too.

Are you getting HHT-4 along every inch of the blade, and is this after stropping 60/60 clean cloth and clean leather?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

My La Petite Blanche edges are bordering on mellow, but not quite there. La Grosse Blanche edges are as mellow as I've experienced.

yes I'm getting HHT4 across the whole blade. I do at least 60/60 on a Tony Miller Latigo with the cotton linen. I have heard the cotton of Tony's strop is naturally abrasive although quite mild. I do find the LPB slightly mellower than th La Veinette Paul.I am not getting bad shaves fromeither of these stones I just got used to mellower shaves I was getting before my edges took a jump in keenness. To think about it this started with the TM linen. I ave a different linen coming from Torolf via Chris so maybe I'll wait for that before I make any changes.Doens anyone have experience with the grey cotton linen from Tony Miller?

I don't know the composition of it, but I have a grey TM linen component (I just assumed it was linen). It works very well. I hated the latigo though (my favorite is easily the English Bridle from SRD)

I too have no experience with that strop so cant say. Is this problem with one single razor or many? also do you use the Unicot or Dilucot method, I am thinking if the strop is not at fault it could be down to your bevel angle, and adding a layer of tape may mellow the feel of the edge

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

The edges are acceptable I am probably just being to critical. I will try taping the spine and see how that refines the edge. I hadn't thought of that because there is no problem passing the HHT with flying colors.Thank you Ralfy and Paul.

What you need to do, Scott, is to swap hones with me. You get my La Grise, and I get the La Vienette :lol: :lol: !

Try not stropping before each shave. leave the stropping alone for two or three shaves. then the edge may be more mellow.I've been constantly honing back and forth from my lv and lpb. I've not noticed much differance i would say both edges to me are just smooth and comfy. As for a mellow edge , crisses vintage coticule gave me the most mellowest not the sharpest of edges but the shave was literaly that mellow you would of thought it was a butter knife. may be you need to adapt to the more keener edge then you will like it. then when you get a les par edge , more mellow you won't want that.I'd settle for an edge that feels smooth and does'nt pull.

gary

Yes you can realy get stuck in with a less sharp and forgiving edge. Which does the job nicley. i have had hht 5 and the shaves have been less comfy for me only slight. Some wher round a 3'4 depending on your coti will give me a nicer shave .I guess the shave will let you no how it realy feels . this also depends on the razor and if your skin is in good shape on the day you shave. I can shave with the same razor and get a realy nice shave then another day the same razor feels not as good . just prep and my skin needing a little break was the reason why.

gary

If you find your edge too harsh, refinish with a few light laps on a hint of slurry. I would start with 5. You can always add more later. This should dial back your edge to a better comfort level. It's what I do with the edges for a friend with extremely sensitive skin.

Kind regards,
Bart

As with any new stone there is a learning curve and no matter ho similar they are they are all just a little different.My harshness from my La Veinette didn't seem consistent from a fairly consistent vein of stone so I followed up my honing with more laps on very light slurry then water and after another 100 or so laps and some refreshment of the water on the stone I got a quite acceptable shave that I don't think I can beat without a La Grosse Jaune or most likely La Grosse Blanche to finish with. It was the edge I have been used to getting from other stones like Les Latneuses or La Petit Blanche. Once I again i have been shown that the stone doesn't matter as much as the person holding it but I would like to thank those who responded to this thread.

“A Man Must Be Big Enough to admit His Mistakes, Smart Enough to profit from Them, and Strong Enough to correct Them.”
:thumbup:

Bart

Very classy, Life2.

Borrowing from Churchill - my honing skills are humble - with much to be humble about.

Back