ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

ID Please

Emmanuel

Go people for an ID from a greek friend. The coticule is more yellow than pictures. The side large line is gray and not blue to say that is a LA NOUVELLE VEINE, Your reply will be appreciated.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I think this is a glued Les Latneuses, similar to n°51 of the Vault.

I would predict this one is very fast on slurry and relatively speaking also site fast on water.

Kind regards,
Bart

Thank you Bart.Is fast on slurry and moderate on water. Gives a very smooth edge .It is a little hard ,as i heard in the coticule be Les Latneuses is very soft giving a butter felling.Thanks
Best regards
Emmanuel

I have no idea where you read that, but I can tell you there is a lot of nonsense told about soft and hard Cotiucles.
For starters, there is the so-called "nail-test". It is said to try to scratch the stone with a finger nail, to determine wether it is soft or hard. I find this a dubious test. There are almost no Coticules that are softer than a fingernail, but most cases the fingernail will be abraded by the Coticule, which leaves a trace on the stone, just like a pencil would also leave a mark. Some people misread this as the fingernail "scratching" the surface.

When it comes to hardness, I can say this: of the entire Vault, there are perhaps 2 or 3 La Dressantes that I think are harder than average, and 2 La Veines aux Clous and one La Dressante that I would qualify as softer than average. Off all others, including all Laes Latneuses I ever tested, there is no hardness difference that I can discern with the methods known to me for making such an estimation. I can add that the hybrid sides indeed appear harder.

I have no clue what "butter feeling" means.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks again Bart.No in doubt at all concerning your writings.I can accept that i have a large experience about coticule honing and shaving but i know very little about coticule layers. What I've noticed ,some coticules are matt releasing easily slurry and others show some shine realising slurry by more effort.The seconds maybe have harder binder like the nouvelle veine that i tried,which gives easily a ready edge than others.I believe is a question if the binder of all coticules has same hardness ,assuming that garnets are always same.Whats your opinion about that.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I don't have the answer, Emmanuel.
All I know is that I have tested these few Coticules that qualified as hard by all standards (resilient to release slurry, etc) and that sole of these were definitely at the fastest side of the spectrum. While the 2 Coticules in the vault that were clearly "soft" were also definitely very slow.
When we correlate the readiness to release slurry of a Coticule to its abrasive speed, I can confirm you only one thing: there is nothing to predict out of that.
What we do know, is that the granets are not always the same. Garnet content can vary from 10 to 40 %, and also the size, and possibly shape of garnets is subject to some variation. There is a lot we don't know about the abrasive properties of Coticules in relation to their mineralogical composition.

Kind regards,
Bart

Back