ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Ideas on Vein or characteristics based on appearence

Gunner777

This Coti was a gift and a rather small one. I have never seen one that looks like this one. It does raise a slurry without using a slurry stone which is light gray in color. It's a pretty hard stone that works pretty well as a finisher.
Any thoughts as to which vein it may come from or other thoughts will be greatly appreciated:)

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

As a weird coincidence, that one resembles n°27 of the Coticule Vault (repository-I). I was talking about it in another thread yesterday. Unfortunately n°27 had some issues that forced me to abort testing it. But obviously, that does not mean they yours need to have these same issues.
I do remember that the guys had Ardennes has no real idea about the layer it came from. Based on my limited experience on n°27, I'd say that this is a slow Coticule with only very little slurry dulling effect and a "mellow" finish. But that's just a first impression about n°27, if it wouldn't have had that chipping problem.

Here's my initial post about it:
http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/3284.html

The recent thread were it came back up is here:
http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/9987.html

I believe these are so unique in their appearance that we could safely baptize them "speckled Coticules". I always wondered if there were going to turn up more of these. Thanks for posting about it. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
The recent thread were it came back up is here:
http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/9987.html

I believe these are so unique in their appearance that we could safely baptize them "speckled Coticules". I always wondered if there were going to turn up more of these. Thanks for posting about it. :thumbup:
Yes - this coti is very interesting and does look really similar to the one linked from yesterday. If I were a betting man (well, I've been known to wager once or twice...), I'd say that both of these stones are dominated by quartzite (the white part) with a lower garnet content than usual. That would at least partially explain why both hones were described as being slow (or slow on slurry with +++ on sharpness), and as hard/good finisher with little slurry dulling effect. Very nice!

Bart your description of it's characteristics is pretty much right on the money for this one. It is a hard stone and extremely smooth. I did lap it when it arrived but didn't notice any orange specks per se. To the naked eye they look more brownish and pink in color. It does leave a smooth and sharp finish after I used another Coti of a more traditional type then went to this one. After using this one I went to the strop and it shaved well. I did another razor with CrOx after this speckled one and it was super smooth. In fact I was very surprised.
As I said I've never seen one like this and I have to say I like the results it gives. I did check my edges with a 30x loop and there were no chips or defects from using it. There isn't a great deal of feedback. I sure wish I knew what someone with the right gear and experience could figure out about it's makeup. A good way to describe the feel when I run my finger over the surface is smooth as glass.
That sure is a big time coincidence that another similar one just came up:) Thanks for all the information. I'm really glad I posted on this one:thumbup:

Phil

The orange specks in the specimen I was able to test, were really easy to spot.

I never concluded that all stones with specks would be infected by that, and it sure would have been a valuable finisher without the orange stuff.

Enjoy yours!:thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back