ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

In praise of narrow stones

Matt

Hello again,

This is going to be nothing new for many people, but I will share my experience with a very narrow stone honing. Upon my first coticule purchase one of the two slurry stones I received was a rectangular, lengthy, narrow piece, measuring 13×100 mm. I didn't thought of using it as a regular hone back then, but now when my confidence in technique has grown, I took it a while ago and honed a warped Solingen razor, rescaled by Ray, on it.

Many (me included, formerly) fear that they won't be able to maintain a steady stroke on such narrow stones. It might be true to some extent, but there's a tip I'd like to share. Instead of stiffly holding the stone let it have some room to rock sideways in your hand, just a little bit. Even if you unintentionally tilt the razor to one or other side, the stone will follow its movement - provided your grip is not too tight and, of course, the spine is in proper contact with the stone.

The razor honed perfectly, something I could never achieve before on my own with this razor and wider coticules. Kudos for narrow stones! :thumbup:

best regards,
Matt

I can only confirm this. I have a 20*120 mm stone(les latneuses) but some times I tilt it on te side and hone on the side then it's about 1 cm wide and I love it.

kind regards
Stijn

Good to hear it went well, Matt. Neat little tip to allow the hone to follow the razor. One of the virtues of handheld honing.:thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart

Matt agree with you.Basically i believe if someone is capable to hone a razor on the narrow hone is capable too to hone it on the larger too. The different is just the easier manipulation due to the size and the weight.But the advantage of the narrow seems clearly honing an unbalanced razor.The unique disadvantage of the narrower is that tend to give frowning edges (this is valid for the inexperienced person).
Best regards
Emmanuel

I'm in complete agreement. My honing took a quantum leap forward when I got a 30mm hone and started holding it in my hand. You are spot on; if you hold it loosely it rocks a little in your hand and uneven pressure is self correcting. I have a little 18 x 85 bout and I can even hone on that with little trouble. On my 50mm I have trouble with warped blades, and shrieking and chipping, 30mm and below it is not a problem.

:thumbup:

As some of you will know, I too completely agree :thumbup:

When Sir Bart sent me a finger sized "slurry stone" with my Burton series #2, I couldn't help but try it (he has since confessed to hoping that I would lol) and it works wonders, yes it takes good co-ordination, and it is sometimes tricky to hit the toe spot on, but the edges it delivers, esp on warped or smiling blades are oh la la ;)

Regards
Ralfson

BTW, you can see the stone I was referring to here (the last two photos).

And it's La Petite Blanche! :w00t:

Back