ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Inside Ardennes

Drybonz

You guys have probably seen this already... maybe it has even been posted here before... but, if not, here is a YouTube of Maurice at Ardennes on Belgian news.

The shop at Ardennes looks pretty much like you would imagine it... it's really neat to see the guys working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cVcPoYalM

I been many times friend Drybonz there,is a holy place,please believe me.I dont know if you understud what Maurice say,is much job to translate it for you but i can say that this mine exists since 1865.
Best regardw
Emmanuel

Emmanuel... I would like to see it some day. :)

I couldn't understand Maurice, but it was fun to watch them at work.

Drybonz said:
I couldn't understand Maurice
Maurice has a little flemish accent but all the same, it is not very difficult to understand what he says:lol:

Regards

Laurent

BTW : I think he spoke about us more precisely the youngest of us.

chti_lolo said:
If anybody interested I can make a summary of what Maurice says.

Laurent

That would be most appreciated, Laurent!

I watched the video, and thought it would be interesting to know what Maurice and his workers said, but did not wish to intrude on anyone's time for a translation.

Thank you, Laurent..

Sorry it takes me some time,
There might have been translation mistakes and it is not a word by word translation.
So here it is :

Maurice :
Grenat is an semi precious stone, grenat has a dodecaedron shape. The angle of grenat penetrate into steel no more than 1 or 2 microns. For an artificial hone, it is different, the particles act as pins and penetrate deeply into steel.
In a vein, grenats have a size of 5 microns whereas in others maybe 15 to 20 microns. And a grenat of 5 microns is finer than one of 15 microns

Woman speaker:
Coticule stone comes from this quarry in Lerneux and is extracted since 1865. Nowadays, 6 persons work at Ardennes-Coticule

Francis:
It's a pride for our village. When I'm asked about my job, I answear I make the coticule stone which is unique in the world

Speaker
Coticule is extracted with a schist backing. if it gets damaged during it's preparation, it is replaced by another one and glued. The goal of cutting and processing is to get the more pecfect coticule: that is without cracks.

Francis:
Crack or quartz prevent the sharpening of the blade. Cracks damage the edge and quartz scratches the blade. If a coticule stone contains cracks, it is not possible to make rectangular hones with it and we have to make bouts so we have a financial loss

Speaker
Mauris Celis is from Limbourg. This former mining engineer took back the exploitation in 1968. Nowadays he succeeds in valuing all which goes out of the quarry. The production of the coticule is in increase. Thanks to internet 90 % of the production is exported.

Maurice
it is noticed everywhere that the young people, the 30-year-old men begin again to shave with a straight razor. They are a members of internet forums.
They discuss, they discuss, it is enormous! And there, you enter the sector of the hobby. And it is well known that when one buys something for his hobby he spend more money or more easily money.

Speaker
The formation of the coticule goes back up to 485 million years. It is found only here in Lierneux where 10 tons are extracted in a year. Nowadays it still remains the best hone in the world

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate, Laurent.

That adds much to the video..

Thanks Laurent!
I'd seen that video a couple times but had not a hope of deciphering what Maurice was saying (must be that Flemish accent)

danjared said:
I'm amused by the last words Maurice makes in that video.

yeah we discuss we discuss its huge! err whats my post count hahaha

wonderful stuff indeed thank you for the translation :thumbup:

My warmest regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back