ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Is this a Thuringian?

Andreas63

Hi!
I found this hone at a local e-shop: I used it after the Naniwa Superstone 10 000 and it gave a sharper edge than the Naniwa. I like it :D :lol:

Different from my coti (la verte) but a very good edge anyway.

Is this a vintage Thuringian? It is a very very smooth hone...the slurry coming from this hone during the lapping procedure (Norton 320grit) smells like chalk.

Thank you in advance :)

Andreas

Well, the wording on the box is right, and it has a very similar color. I'd say chances are high...

5"x1" is also a very common size for a Thuringian hone. And the writing is in German. I also reckon there is a good chance it's a Thuringian.
PS. That's the first time I've ever seen a measuring tape marked only in metric. Very confusing at first.:blink:

Thank you for your answers JimR and Rosco :) :)

I'm glad to hear to the chances are good that it's a vintage Thüringer...anyway it gives a very nice "crispy" edge so I'm going to test it with other razors.

The hone mesures 5"x1.2"...more or less

That looks like a nice Thuringian.:thumbup:

I've edited your first post, make the pictures show in the post.

Kind regards,
Bart.

If its a Thuringian then well done :thumbup:
I know nothing of these except they are highly rated, maybe you can let us know how the shaves are?

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Thank you for posting my pictures Bart :)

Dr Ralfson: I've used this hone on two Heljestrands, a 5/8 and a nr.31 (a 5/8 too), both are full hollow. I've shaved with one of them and the feeling is different compared to my coti (which is a "la verte" type).

The coti feels smoother and the Thüringer feels more "crispy"...but in a positive way...no nicks or scratches or razor burn...only a different feeling compared to my coti. May be the razor is a little more sharp...The edge polished by the Thüringer is a little more shiny too.

It's nice to have both...:lol: :lol:

If I may make a suggestion?
Try to finish with the Coticule, after the Thuringer, and also vice versa.
That will surely give you some interesting insights in the nature of both hones.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
If I may make a suggestion?
Try to finish with the Coticule, after the Thuringer, and also vice versa.
That will surely give you some interesting insights in the nature of both hones.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Interesting suggestion: I'll try it and let you know :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back