ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Jowika dressed in black (bog ) oak.

macrob

Producer/ Dealer
Hello.
This is my latest restoration project. Jowika Solingen just over 6/8 . Scales are made from bog oak finished with CA (super glue).
100B3730.jpg

100B3680.jpg

Regards.
Maciek.

first I would like to give you a warm welcome.
and secondly that looks like a very nice job you did there

kind regards
Stijn

A warm welcome from me too Maciek

The razor looks lovely, the scales are a bit slim on the pivot for my taste, but hey I never claimed to have good taste :p

Good work indeed old chap

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Hello Maciek. Polish origins? :)

I second Ralfy about the pivot end, too skinny IMHO and out of proportions. Apart from that, looks really good. BTW, I've never seen Jowika in this shape.

cheers,
Matt

Hello.
Thank you Lads for your kind words.
Matt, I'm Polish but i left our beautiful country few years ago and moved to Ireland (beautiful as well:) ).
Regards.
Maciek.

I have oportunity to made few shaving brushes from Bog Oak (Gold and Copper) and in my oppinion it is big mistake to fiish it with CA. Bog Oak has very nice structure, especially black, so most pipe makers finish it this way:

-sanding up to 800 grit dry sandpaper
-sandblast piece (after that fine grain will be visible)
-applying one thick coat of Carnauba wax
-heat piece with heat blower that 1st coat of Carnauba reach inside the blank
-leave for 24 hours to dry
-applying few more thin coats
-buffing between coats

CA, varnishing, epoxy etc...definitely not for me when working with Bog Oak.

I would say that bog oak doesn't need any finish at all:).It should be stabilized by laying in the water for hundreds or even thousands of years.Correct me if i'm wrong. CA gave it a glossy look and i like it.
I must remember your advice and try it out in the future cause i still have few chunks of that wood in my shed.
Regards.
Maciek.

macrob said:
I would say that bog oak doesn't need any finish at all:).It should be stabilized by laying in the water for hundreds or even thousands of years.Correct me if i'm wrong. CA gave it a glossy look and i like it.
I must remember your advice and try it out in the future cause i still have few chunks of that wood in my shed.
Regards.
Maciek.

You can read something about bog oak down (btw. if applied correctly as stated above Carnauba also will give it nice glossy look, not glossy as CA but definitely more natural than CA). Renaissance wax also performs well if you do not have Carnauba.

http://savrseno-obrijani.blogspot.com/search/label/Četkice od Abonosa (Shaving Brushes - Bog Oak)

Thank you King. Very interesting article.
As far as i know seasoning of bog oak is a very difficult process because this wood likes to crack very often. Any tips where to store them ? I'm keeping mine in my garden shed.
Regards.
Maciek

macrob said:
As far as i know seasoning of bog oak is a very difficult process because this wood likes to crack very often. Any tips where to store them ? I'm keeping mine in my garden shed.
Regards.
Maciek

I have opportunity to work with dry wood blanks (drying process of almost 2 years in controlled atmosferic conditions) so I do not have problems with storing them, but as you told cracking is common problem especially when turning is done. If you ever try to turning blanks you have to do that on low RPMs with very sharp tools.

Back