ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Just another honing story

Matt

Hi gents,

1. [li]Just wanted to quickly say hello and that yesterday I took my Solingen SiGi, which I wanted to hone since Friday!! I ran it through Dilucot, trying to do it as empty minded as possible, just concentrating on strokes and counting, chatting with my girlfriend in between, hence losing count from time to time, but still diluting all the way down. Somewhere I realised (and realised I had found out it long before, only I forgot, :lol: ) that the blade was slightly warped, so I started to pay a little more attention to shifting the contact area between the blade and a stone. Also I was adding a little extra strokes to the concave part on the narrow end of my n[sup]o[/sup]25. Final stage, light strokes, water, light strokes, okay, let's HHT. I asked my beloved Anna for a sample (really thin hair so I took it the hard route) - HHT-0 but then she said she had treated it with something-something after the shower. Well so I switched to my own ready to test sample (these are really thick, on the contrary) and bang, a good hmm, HHT-4 I presume, is this possible off the hone? Maybe with my hair it is. I gave it a good stropping with a new strop from Gary and it was popping hair very nicely, I dunno if HHT-5 is ever possible with my hair. Too bad it was too late to try it so it's waiting silently in the drawer until I get back from work, I will keep you updated on this.
    [pre]

[/pre]
    The point is: maybe it looks that I was really focused on every little detail (so the description looks, doesn't it). But I really tried not to think 'I have to make it sharp, I have to'. I was only concentrating to perform all the strokes correctly, as repeatedly as possible, as quick as long my technique didn't suffer, even a little carelessly, to make it more with my subconcious, so called 'muscle' memory, than in a aware super-controlled manner. Maybe some small distractions helped, too. I guess that with some time the thinking will go away for good, haha. :)[/li]
    [pre]

[/pre]
    [li]Now, this might be the most stupid question around, but do you guys bother about these hollowed stamps on the leather? I can clearly feel them under the blade during stropping, so should I shorten the stroke not to reach them, or it does no harm?[/li]
    [pre]

[/pre]
    [li]Last but not least: I wanted to tell you the short story how the strop was getting to me. I ordered it from Gary and he sent it to me on April, it was July and it still wasn't here. Gary was so courteous to refund my expense, and unfortunately I couldn't purchase another one from him because it had been the last one... Nevertheless, the parcel somehow found its way back to Gary after 3 months, and he was so nice to let me know and take time to send it to me again. Kudos for Mr Haywood.[/li]

kind regards,
Matt

As promised I'm updating the info, I shaved with it yesterday - it's been quite long since I've shaved with such hollow ground, recently I was using either a Wapi or this hefty Sheffield blade. Seems like J.B. Holland (not mentioning the Wapi) is stiffer or less ground - yesterday's SiGi gave me a little unpleasant kind of 'flexy' feeling; of course (again) ATG pass was on the verge of being successful - in more denser growth areas it was impossible to glide the blade straight ATG, I had to move it at an angle. Still, I can feel some leftovers here and there, also there was some alum sting.

Probably keenness hasn't reached its maximum, I will Unicot it and if is still sucks I'm definitely going to send one of my full hollows to Bart - eventually. In spite of opinion that full hollow grinds are the easiest to reach good keenness I find them the most difficult shavers.

Obviously, if I had such a razor a year ago, I'd probably be quite happy with it, but as we say it here - the appetite grows as you eat. :thumbup:

regards,
Matt

Back