ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

la dressante au blue

garyhaywood

received my la dressante au-blue combo,

The hone is 175x40 and is the perfect size . i orderd the hone from ardaneese and i asked for a medium cutter, not fast. As i find a slower cutting coticule easiest to reach keeness. i sold my nu 3 and replaced it with the combo. it just so happend this was a combo so i thats the reason i wanted it.

i have worked with da's and duble duck and my dovo from setting bevel to finishing on coticule with dilucot method , oh and my stubben TI.

The hone generates slurry and loads of it with just a light rub.

the hone easily sets a bevel that has been dulled on glass with just 30 to 60 normal or baack and forth strokes. No problems there.

the hone has nice feel not as glassy as my burton yellow side but a nice textured feel which i prefer.

The ti at the end of dilucot has struggled on hht for some reason. After 30 on water the hht was not bad. I performed 20 laps on water at a time. I checked HHT each time. There was big improvemant each time. this hone seems to improve on water very well. Judging by the HHT that was all good after 100 laps water.
all in all every razor has improved real nice on final stages.

The shaves of this coticule are very smooth indeed. the actaul edge feels sharp/smooth, where as some coticule edges can feel smooth but dull on your face/either way both edges shave justa differant feel.

I actauly shaved a customer with da the other day ,well he is a tennant above my shop so i just grabbed him to try the da i just honed.

As i could not feel the edge i could feel the da glided nicley . the lad i was shaving said it was the best edge i had shaved him with, he also said it felt smoother:thumbup: i also shaved a customers head with same razor and he never batted an eye lid. so i'm happy once again. I've put my other hybrid and my 21 away for a while and i'm going to work on this combo for quite some time. that way i'm sticking to one coticule. using all 4 of them is throwing me out a little and i just carn't make my mind up which one to use. So thats why i'm sticking with the combo for a while. not tryed blue properly yet . apart from i set bevel on yellow i worked bbw slurry i hit the water on yellow and managed to get hht on da. Not brill but i could not of done that 2 years ago with my old combo.

That's a great post Gary. You're the first one to write a thorough report on "La Dressante au Bleu". I have one in the new batch for the Vault, and really look forward to testing it. When I did a few quick tests on samples at the quarry, they really felt great. Maurice said they are considered to have very small garnets. Your first results seem to confirm that.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
That's a great post Gary. You're the first one to write a thorough report on "La Dressante au Bleu". I have one in the new batch for the Vault, and really look forward to testing it. When I did a few quick tests on samples at the quarry, they really felt great. Maurice said they are considered to have very small garnets. Your first results seem to confirm that.

Kind regards,
Bart.

small garnets what differance does that make ?

i just shaved of TI and i have to say its very smooth i honed this one pritty well/ i would say the hone helped on this razor .also the dovo was very smooth the one that i honed on layer of tape . i shaved with them both left side and right side. I carn't complain about either and both edges were smooth as in magical smooth. no crispiness at all . i reckon when i get a crispy edge it due to honing not being where it should be. I'm just going to do one rub on hone and hone TI just a little more then finish on water just to see if i can get a drop more out of it. I was going to try a thew laps on escher with water but realy does'nt need it . i supose i could and if i did'nt like the edge i could drop back to coti with 20 laps .

these arn't the clearist and don't justify it like it is as i can see it.

i just performed a boost touch up and the hht is defanatley a little more responsive a good 4 and poping fine hairs. I actauly dried the hone at the very end rubed with clean paper towel. I coated the hone with water and did 20 extra laps and the hht improved of the hone.

What a wonderful review Gary, very thorough and interesting read mate :thumbup:
So has this become your fave? and have you tried the BBW side yet?

tryed blue side but not shaved of the blue side yet.i'm going to try the dilublue keep you posted

.All the stones i have are nice i'm just sticking with this one for a while. I'm also trying to stick with one razor to shave with as i'm getting much use out of my razors. To much rehoning.

Just this one for some reason seems to work well with water.Somtimes you can do 300 laps on water and there just does'nt seem to be any big improve mants. i was surprised how a thew more laps on water did the trick pritty well. You could be hitting violin hht and a thew laps on water the hht improves drasticly that what i like about this hone. for some reason it seemed to work on my harder steel ti's much better unless i just got lucky .On my hybrid i could'ntquite get there. I have one more TI i will taking to this hone

since i have honed 5 more razors on this hone. This hone never lets me down with hht, i'm getting very good results even with my DA's.

since i have shaved with the edges the hone gives me.The shaves are nice and smooth, but the one differance with the edge i have noticed of this hone but not my other's, is the edge actauly feels sharp/smooth. if you understand my meaning. compared to smooth shaving but that dull feel on your face which i normaly experiance.

Gary,

Looks like you received a real great stone from this little discussed layer. I have to admit it is tempting to follow in your footsteps on this purchase although I'm still learning quite a bit on my one and only.

Kind Regards,
Schatz

if i was you i'd stick and learn on the one you have. it will work for you just the same in time.

i have four coticules , i have owned probably ten plus, i never had a bad one they all seem to do the job well.

Gary,

Thank you for your learned advice to keep practicing on the one coticule I own. It sounds like a very wise suggestion.

It looks like I have received a similar hone Gary. I only wish I was the tenent whom lived above your fine shop. I can image walking down the stairs to be randomly grabbed by the the mad barber who insists upon giving me fine shaves from razors freshly honed by a Coticule. Hmm. What a great thought I can picture it now. I haven't had time to play with this stone but I am glad to read your review and am in awe of Bart's extensive knowledge who was able to identify my first Coticule an 8" x 3" la dressante au blue and point me to this post.

Cheers,
borebrush

[IMG=860]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9262/coticule.jpg[/IMG]

borebrush said:
I only wish I was the tenent whom lived above your fine shop. I can image walking down the stairs to be randomly grabbed by the the mad barber who insists upon giving me fine shaves from razors freshly honed by a Coticule.

I can see that you have not Met Gary !
(jk) of course Gary mate

Bwhahahahaha

My finest regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back