ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

La veinette first timer

Deckard

Bought a la veinette a few months back from Ardiness, (had an unexpected work bonus:) .
Anyway thought I'd familiarise myself with it so tapes up a problematic razor and raised a slurry.
This took a little longer than the dresante which I have learned as I'm newish to this method of honning.
Dulled edge on glass,then took razor through paces until poping arm hairs nicely ( am bald on left arm:O ) they popped so easily so thoght I'd scope edge at 100x and could hardly discern any of my usual chiping problems. So impressed with this I tested hht at 2 straight of bevel set.B)
WOW, to say I'm impressed is an understatement, dread to think where this will go after dilutions and finishing.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? It's amazing that just changing hones can make such a big difference to a given razor.

La Veinette is one of my favorite layers. It is so easy to use and results in amazing edges. I'm glad you are enjoying yours!

Same here my friend i believe is one of the easier layer.I can say that is comparable with my old heritage coticules.I believe that will become one of your favorites hones.
Best regards
Emmanuel

As said from me too, its my favourite stone, it can take a bit longer to finish than others, but the shaves are divine :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

i have had a thew differant layers. some of been easier than others. I found my leslat yellow side to be difficult at first. six months later i went back to it. I got some of the best edges of it with the very first honing. why i don;t no, but thats just how it seems to go at times. i just honed three razors on my new vintage from bobby. each one and one being a wedge came up with a good 3 of the hone , i love it.
when i do dilucot i set the bevel and once set i do 30 light x's on the same slurry or with just another drop of water. if and i do get a hht2 of the slurry, i would go straight to water with half strokes and finish . i guarantee your razor will give a great shave and the hht will improve to 3/4 after stropping. i've also carried on through dilutions after geting hht2 of bevel setting stages and for some strange reason lost the hht2, so if you get it i'd hit the water and see what happens. may be i lost the hh2 dueto to many extra strokes i'm not sure . i do no there is a sweet spot and if you get it then go straight to water and you will be done.

gary

La Veinette is also my favorite layer and all the ones I've tried are very consistent and seem to be very easy to use. Fast on slurry and slow on water that leave a very smooth edge. I haven't experienced any slurry dulling and they just seem to be great all around hones.

When people say fast on slurry, approximately how many strokes (X-strokes, half-strokes) are we talking about? And the transition from bevel-setting to finishing: how many strokes and dilutions over how many strokes could that conceivably take assuming a problem-free razor. How much time could I expect to spend on the finishing relative to the bevel-setting?

I'm just trying to get a rough feel for what to expect from my La Veinette.

fast on slurry. make a good milky slurry. take your razor and 2x30 back and forth strokes with light to medium pressure, you should see the slurry turn from creamy white to bluey grey, the next set even more.so i would say fast on slurry 60 hal;f strokes you should notice the slurry turning , bluey then eventauly darker. just get any old razor and give it a blast.as for dilutions from 10 to 20, depending how much slurry you started with. don't worry to much, just follow barts video. and dilute untill you are down to dirty water. this could take 10 to 20, in the past i did more . i now average 10 to 15. i don't count i just hone and dilute. Finishing on water can take 50 x strokes to 200 x strokes . it just depends how your hht is of the stone, if after 50 you getting a nice 2/3 your doneif not kep going. thats the only advice i ca give you, the rest is down to you practising as regular as possible. if all fails and your not keen enough , you cando unicot, this will work, much more consistant, and it will give you a good bench mark , as to how a coticule edge should feel.
other than that ask ralfy to hone your razor and that will give you an even better bench mark.

gary

SlowRain said:
When people say fast on slurry, approximately how many strokes (X-strokes, half-strokes) are we talking about? And the transition from bevel-setting to finishing: how many strokes and dilutions over how many strokes could that conceivably take assuming a problem-free razor. How much time could I expect to spend on the finishing relative to the bevel-setting?

I'm just trying to get a rough feel for what to expect from my La Veinette.

For me, I take about 3 sets of 30 half strokes to set the bevel, then I do say 8 or 9 sets of half strokes adding a finger of water each set, I start with 15 strokes per set and increase as I go to say 25, then I rinse everything and do 2 sets of 30 half strokes on water, and finish with 2 sets of 30 regular X strokes again on water, whole process takes 10 minutes.

So the bevel setting is very quick, it takes just a few minutes, the dilutions take the longest, and finishing is quick again, taking longer than the bevel setting but still only a few minutes

The problem can be when I dont hit the HHT I am after, then I can spend anything from another 5 minutes, to 20 minutes working at it. I would still say a "difficult/ doesnt go to plan" honing job only takes less than 30 minutes.

Of course everyone is different, and when I first started it would take hours, we did the old Dilucot back then, and didnt use half strokes as we diluted, man that was hard work at times lol.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

On my La Veinette, I have just followed the dilucot standard procedure.

I'm not sure that all La Veinette have the same speed with slurry but I have also a La Petite Blanche which is faster on slurry than my La Veinette.I remember I can remove very small teeth (almost non visible with naked eye) on an 3/4 hollow blade with just 30 half strokes. The difficuly for me is allways to reach the keeness I'm looking for.

Regards

Laurent

Thanks for the tips guys! My newest stone is a La Veinette, and it has been a bit of a challenge. I guess I'm used to stones that are fast on slurry and fast on water, or slow on slurry and slow on water. Going between the extremes in speed has been a learning experience. Monday I got a razor to a HH3, after only three days worth of attempts :confused: :scared: :lol: Anyway I wish I had read this thread before that, but I'm happy to have a good reference for next time.

Do most of your La Veinette's have a silky smooth feel to them? Mine feels much smoother than most of my other Coticules, (only my LGB being close). Its not exactly like a thuri feels, but its a little closer to that hard glassy texture than to the feel of other layers. I dont know if that makes sense, but its the best analogy I can think of.

after reading this post, it made me change over two my little 150x40mm la vainette . i acatuly was given this stone by steve at invisable edge, for a very good price , that i could not refuse. i must say it is like honing on valvet, feels more softer surface, than my last one. This LV, cuts well on slurry, not as quik as y leslat or la patite blanche. i did a wedge and managed a hht 3 nearer to holding point a 3 ish with a stiffer hair further away. i decided to give the wedge a unicot edge . just to try on the lv. the hht of unicot was a usaul very responsive 3 ht. i'll test of that tomorrow. then i did a dilucot on a full hollow, ended up with a nice soft good hht 3. i'll also test that, and compare. all in all i would say its one of the nicest coticule surfaces you could possibly get, along with many others. i find the more softer pop in the hht scale to provide a nice soft very forgiving edge , i think my lv will prvide just that.

gary

Loric said:
Thanks for the tips guys! My newest stone is a La Veinette, and it has been a bit of a challenge. I guess I'm used to stones that are fast on slurry and fast on water, or slow on slurry and slow on water. Going between the extremes in speed has been a learning experience. Monday I got a razor to a HH3, after only three days worth of attempts :confused: :scared: :lol: Anyway I wish I had read this thread before that, but I'm happy to have a good reference for next time.

Do most of your La Veinette's have a silky smooth feel to them? Mine feels much smoother than most of my other Coticules, (only my LGB being close). Its not exactly like a thuri feels, but its a little closer to that hard glassy texture than to the feel of other layers. I dont know if that makes sense, but its the best analogy I can think of.
mine defanatley feels silky/soft, te slurry stages feels silky soft and water stages fels just the same.
gary

Mine is definitely soft and velvety feeling too, and as Gary says the HHT and shaves have a nice soft feeling to them too :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I have a little 25 x 160 mm La Veinette bout I got from Jarrod. It quickly became my favorite stone. Mine is the fastest stone I have on slurry and does a wonderful job on chipped bevels. I wouldn't call it slow on water, but I don't have nearly as much experience with other layers as most of the guys here. I do find that for touch ups starting with a milky slurry helps. And for finishing, which takes anywhere from 60-200 laps on water depending on blade, I use some pressure for the first half or more of the laps. Silky is a good word to describe the sensation while honing but with a fine-grained raspiness under the silk.

I like this stone so much I'm considering selling everything but it and my Verte and looking for a 35 x 175 mm version.

Back