ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

lapped/coticule.

garyhaywood

just thought i'd give my lpb a quik lapping onmy dmt325. it works great.

Now i took my razor to the lpb on water after lapping . cleaned hone etc. i noticed that there was swarf ocuring very qukly and with back and forth strokes the hone was removing steel very quikly. so i rinsed again and again. still the swarf is being created with 20 x stokes very easily it even felt like i was honing a a tiny bit of slurry. this has never happend before. why would this be ? i should imagine bart could tell me why? the water honing is causing me now to keep rinsing every 10 laps laps . I even lost my hht. i'm hoping it well settle down .

gary

I think that you have a bit of texture because of the DMT lapping on your coti. If you smooth out those tiny scratches, than the stone will work like before.

It will settle down quite quickly. You changed the surface from smooth to rough. Take your slurry stone and and give the LPB a good rubbing should calm it down quickly. It will wear smooth in the time it take it would normally take to hone a razor.

thanxs for replys . makes sense. the surface is fresh and just needs working over. i will wip an old razor over the surface .

tanxs gary.

i've noticed how the surface can change on my other coticules. After lapping.

What has been said.
You lapping procedure left the surface rougher and more easily degradable by running the razor over it. As a result autoslurrying is temporarily more prominent.
I usually give the surface a good workout with a BBW slurry stone, if I had to lap a Coticule. This works well for smoothing out the surface.

Kind regards,
Bart.

yes it was exactly that but only on my lpb. It was seriously auto slurrying. the surface was swarfing up like a synthetic hone would do . I've worked it out on slurry and worked a razor up and down. it does sem to have calmed down. i will try the bbw just to make sure.

thanxs gary

Garry .I know very well that.After lapping, always you have to produce a good slurry and is better with another large coticule.After a good rinsing your LPB will work prfectly.
Best regards
Emmanuel
Personally i never use a DMT for lapping. I rub two coticules beneath the tap.I can promise you that both will be well flattened.
Best regards
Emmanuel

My LPB is the same way Gary. I assume they all do it.I have other coticules of different veins and they do not seem to be as generous with the release of slurry after lapping. Sometimes mine gets so smooth I can see light reflecting from it so it definitely hits both ends of the spectrum.

thats how mine was very shiny glazed. i just rubbed belgium blue on te surface its even beter. good tip bart:thumbup:

i won't be lapping them again. unless i realy need to. good tip emanuel i will rub my 200x60 hybrid side to my other two coticules. the hybrid side will never become uneeven its so hard.

thanxs guys.

Back