ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Leopard wood

torbenbp

Gents.

Just finished a set of scales made of Leopard wood..what is left is finishing them.

Any suggetsions about how to treat this fine wood? The easiest way would be linen seed oil, but I dont think it will bring out the best in the wood.

CA would perhaps be a better soultion? This is the first time I work with this wood and I really would like to make the very best of it.

Regards

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!

arhhh darn...forgot that..
Just one picture though and a pretty lousy on it is..needed more light.

31749_1430449834216_1021973112_1272106_5091885_n.jpg

Regards

Hell yes! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Looking good, looking good... Actually the shot is OK, no colour casts, why more light? White is not white enough? :)

Seeing what Mr Ray does with CA I guess it wouldn't look bad in this case either....

regards,
Matt

Seeing what Mr Ray does with CA I guess it wouldn't look bad in this case either....

Yeahh...but that is Mr. Ray... But guess I will give it a try..just hate that stuff!

Regards

Ray...

Hmm CA..thats what I got..and allready gave it 2 times. The wood seems to crack up a bit in the surface, so went for the CA solution.

Regards

torbenbp said:
Ray...

Hmm CA..thats what I got..and allready gave it 2 times. The wood seems to crack up a bit in the surface, so went for the CA solution.

Regards

Torbs,

You need to start having a little patience before you just jump into finishing. Bringing out the beauty of the wood is usually done 2 steps before you start putting the final finish on. Something as simple as a mixture of 1/2 boiled linseed oil and 1/2 turpentine would have "popped" the grain right out. Then we could have worked on your "cracking up issue".

Since you have started sealing the wood with CA, it is unlikely any grain popping can happen. Just continue to coat the surface with CA and sand it with 320 grit paper every 4 coats. After your 12th coat, sand to 2000 grit and then polish the surface.

Good luck,

Ray

a mixture of 1/2 boiled linseed oil and 1/2 turpentine would have "popped" the grain right out.

In that case,I`m glad I did that!

And you are right Ray...have absolutely zero patience with my own work :sneaky: Lesson learned and remembered. Thanks Ray. Will post pics later.

Regards

dang Torb, you sure do great work. I need to find some wood and have a go at this. At least I know ive got some excellent resources:thumbup:

Nice job...again!
MrMaroon

No where near finished, but anyway..No wedge,need pinning and final polishing

31749_1430686400130_1021973112_1272711_7571048_n.jpg

31749_1430686480132_1021973112_1272712_485274_n.jpg

31749_1430686520133_1021973112_1272713_4426082_n.jpg

Well, next time I`ll ask Ray for advice before starting

Thanks Ray...will follow your advice and do better next time. Still have three slabs left:thumbup:

Regards

Darn..that is two slabs...

I am like a fish!
My mouth is open and closed but no words come out.

Day-yam Torbs old buddy thats beautiful work, stick at it with the ca, its really rather durable once you get a good build up :thumbup:

Well Ralfy...hope you follow Ray`s advice better than I did. Hope you make the best of your Leopard wood and lets see some pics when you have a go at it.Remember...no room for mistakes when cutting it:w00t:

regards from a guy that really really really hates CA!:-/

I had never heard of Leopard wood, but that sure is a neat looking set of scales.
Perfect proportions as far as I can tell.

Just one small remark. I would be absolutely great if you could manage to have the spine of that frameback close flush with the curve of the scales. It looks like it's almost the case, maybe some final tweaking with the curve is in order?

Please understand that I'm better at critiquing razor scales than in building them myself.:blush:

It's great work.

Bart.

Sir Bart..you are right to some point...this is an exacat replica of the original ivory scales.
They were slightly cracked as they were extremely thin.. But the originals showed the same curvature and if I was to extend the curvature of the frame it would be like a fat old lady at the wedge end..B)

Sir Bart ..I value your opininon highly. And I feel like you have hidden your mastery of scale making..? Scales are done by now,will post pics later.

Back