ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Les Latneuses

tat2Ralfy said:
And may I ask Dear Bart, two questions which spring to mind?
Yes you may.
tat2Ralfy said:
How long is this going to run before we know the answer and I presume the top 2 will get to choose their stone, leaving the 3rd place guesser with the remaining stone?
Let's say, till the end of this month?
tat2Ralfy said:
And can we please have some info on your beloved L#4? size and performance etc?
I'm not sure you really want to know.:blush: It's too wide for my liking. 6cm X 20cm.
It performs fast, in the same league as the other Les Latneuses, and it also has that perfect combination of slight draw and a feel of ever-so-fine-but-very-present abrasion. Another thing the sound engineer in me particularly likes about these Coticules, is how they make a razor psseeeeup pssseeeup, while it travels over the surface in a most sonorous way. I really should start bringing some of my gear home to make recordings. It's also amazingly fast on water, but not as fast as L#3.

Does that satisfy your curiosity? :)

Bart.

Bart said:

Almost Kind Sir, another thing I was wondering was how these act as finishers? they sure seem to cut fast on water only, how does this affect the finished edge?

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:

Almost Kind Sir, another thing I was wondering was how these act as finishers? they sure seem to cut fast on water only, how does this affect the finished edge?
Now what do you think, my dear dr. Ralfson?

Sorry, I know better than that of course Sir Bart, with no slurry dulling and light pressure I would imagine these are as good as finishers get

I honed 3 Double Arrows and one Dovo Prima Klang on these 4 hones. Dilucot edges. HHT-3 on all of them. I test shaved the Prima Klang and one of the Double Arrows. Nice keen, vivid edges: smooth, forgiving and they leave the skin pleasantly rejuvenated.
I would not have bothered Maurice about it, if I didn't think these specimen are something special, nor would I have add 10 EUR to the price. Yet I do not want to hype them. They are Coticules. I wouldn't be able to tell the edges I got of these Les Latneuses apart form a lot of other Coticule edges. The Double Arrow was still a Double Arrow and the Prima Klang remained a Prima Klang.

Bart.

Smythe said:
BTW, can we change the wager.... errr... the estimate, before the end of the month?:)
Yes, but not in a new post. Too complicated. Just edit your original post. Fair enough?:)

Bart.

Well, i worked out my coti density to be 3.1076 grams per centimeter cubed...and as the Latneuses are SUPERfast, im guessing they have more garnets for more abrasion (a total presumtion and estimate - please dont quote me on this). So i guess the density of the Latneuses cotis are slightly higher than mine (2-3%). Using this, and the size (Cm^3) of L#3 (guessing the thickness to be 1.2cm) I have worked out the weight to be 218g.

IF im close, can I purchase L#1?

thanks!

Here's a random guess: 260 gm. Could be miles off, but thought I'd give it a shot. I'd love one from that vein & if I weren't so broke after buying that Nakayama, I'd definitely buy #2. :)

I want to be in!:rolleyes:
It seems that Ralfy is the closest to the average of everyone's guesses so far... And Towliff with his well-advised calcultion is a half standard deviation lower... So i'll choose a half standard deviation more, that is
281 grams

james said:
... And Towliff with his well-advised calcultion is a half standard deviation lower...

Aha! but did anyone stop to think that these are neither combo or slate backed stones Hmmm??

Bwhahahahahahaha

tat2Ralfy said:
Aha! but did anyone stop to think that these are neither combo or slate backed stones Hmmm??

Bwhahahahahahaha

A-Ha! good point dear Ralfson, I took into account the amount of blue in my combo to work out purely the coti density (i used the blue slurry stone gary sent me to work out the blue density - cant remember what it was, but it was ever so slightly LESS than my coti density). All i can say is "fingers crossed" From the sounds of it, it could be a while before any more of this layer surfaces from the mines again. :(

Hmmm, I take another chance to lay my hands on my first coticule. L#3 is quite charming, so I go for that one.

And I go for 306g. The number came out of the blue ... :p

Gentlemen,

On my digital kitchen scale, the hone in question weighs...

[note]265 grams[/note]

That brings me to the following list (I'm using forum monikers where there could be confusion):
1. Babydom with 267g
2. PA23-250 with 260g
3. Dr. Ralfson with 250g

Should any of these three gentlemen decide not to make a purchase (for example because you're not interested in the second or the third choise available), I 'm adding two name to a reserve:

4. James with 281g
5. JimR with 240g

We now have to wait on Babydom to state his choice. Next PA23-250 can make a pick. And Ralfson must do with the leftover:lol:

I'm going to add a custom storage box for these hones. They deserve it, and so do the fine gentlemen that will be supporting the website with their purchase.

My sincerest thanks to all of you,
Bart.

Back