ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Less digital for a change

Matt

Hello!

Computers. Don't get me wrong, they're great. I love computers, I earn my living with them, for many years I've been using them for photography, too (yes, I remember those old days, when you had to have your pictures printed in a lab, or - far more romantic, as well as proper way - do your enlargements with your own hands in the darkroom). I happen to play sometimes, as well. You can do nearly anything by means of a computer, but sometimes, it's so impersonal. Well, it's a tool, like any other, a screwdriver isn't in any way more personal, but computer is so digital, so perfect. Generalizing a little, any two computers can do the same job to the n-th decimal place. Like modern typesetting, where every letter in a book looks exactly the same - while not that long ago, there were regular leaden fonts, and anyone who wanted to look a little more closely would notice, that each letter was just a tiny bit different than the next the same character. I could go on like this for long and I believe that many will share the sentiment and get the point.

So this is about taking a little break from a perfect, digital world. :) Everyone should try it from time to time :)

regards,
Matt

PS. BTW, this is a sneak peek at the restoration of this old blade. :)

--------------

[c]
cVvYVHw0
[/c]

Thats very cool Matt :thumbup:

And not so far from how I have done the same in the past

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

P.s you didnt take that with a digital camera did you? :p

Haha, of course not, dear Doctor, I run to the computer and place the print against my screen every time someone wants to see it, it's so hard to type this way, lol

I recently bought a french curve for this reason. Good stuff. I can hardly wait to see the results :thumbup:

nice way to go Matt, computing is easy and good, as long as you know how to do the same job with just your hands and your head. For building my fishing rods, I started to use computers to calculate the space between the rings but discovered a "visual" method, that is faster, easier and better because none of my rods are exactly the same. Keep the good job on

Hello Matt,
Good post!
I found the French curve to be a wonderful adjunct to computer knowledge. I mechanical draufted/ designed with pencil on paper or vellum for years. CAD is cool and I use it for many things. I use the computer for rescales by scanning and cut and pasting many copies of the blade onto paper so I can see many differing scale designs. I also use vellum paper to swing the blade outline from the pivot to assure clearance.
~Richard

Back