ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Linen/fabric component

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

well I finally got my kanayama 30k for christmas. The leather component is amazing! The cotton component is very nice, but it does not seem to boost the HHT at all. Any suggestion where I could get a good linen/fabric component? WHat about this one?http://thesuperiorshave.com/Strops.html

Check the Walking Horse $35 fabric strop.

I wonder if the kanayama cotton strop is still effective even though it does not seem to increase the HHT at all.

Cheers,

JF

The issue with the kanayame cotton strop has been discussed somewhere in another thread but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Also, if you'd like a replacement, I heard good things about the linen sold by Torolf, a member here (TM280).

jfdupuis said:
Hey guys,

well I finally got my kanayama 30k for christmas. The leather component is amazing! The cotton component is very nice, but it does not seem to boost the HHT at all. Any suggestion where I could get a good linen/fabric component? WHat about this one?http://thesuperiorshave.com/Strops.html

I wonder if the kanayama cotton strop is still effective even though it does not seem to increase the HHT at all.

Cheers,

JF

this is my experiance , you realy want genuine linen. neil miller at the stropshop sells linen strops . email him he will help you out.

gary

jfdupuis said:
Hey guys,

Cheers,

JF
Hello Gary
I have a K strop 30000 a long time.The linen of two vintage strops from my father have nothing to do with K strop.The vintsge strop linens working perfektly,both are woven in V weaving in a
natural brown/gray color,no stiff and quite thin 1,5 mm.This linen kind improves the HHT clearly.If after the coticule honing the HHT is 3 ,60 strokes on the linen transforming the edge
to 4-5 HHT.Easily you are going direct to the face.Convercely the K linen reduses the sharpness
certainly and saying this because has been tested many,many times.
Thats the reason that i chenged the linen with a 2,5 " genuine linen in V weaving fron a supplier in UK.No more investigation no more headache.I believe that this helps.
Best regards
Emmanuel
Athens
I hope it is not all Greek to you
Dear jfdupui That post was posted as message 16126 .It helps?

Hey,

Well after some recommendations, I went ahead and ordered a replacement linen component from Torolf. That should make my Kanayama strop into the "perfect" strop. Can't wait!

Am I the lone weirdo here who couldn't care less what the HHT result is off the linen?

I literally never thought to test it off linen.

I test of the stone, then test off the leather, and everything always improves. That means all is well in Paulville...

richmondesi said:
Am I the lone weirdo here who couldn't care less what the HHT result is off the linen?

I literally never thought to test it off linen.

I test of the stone, then test off the leather, and everything always improves. That means all is well in Paulville...
Heck, Paul, I check htt after an hht just to see if the test changed the edge. Cat walks in the room.....new test. I find almost every linen, pair of jeans, inside my left arm, or just about anything else I strop the first half dozen times increases hht quite a bit and that leather smooths out that edge. All except my favorite strop's linen, the Kanayama 50K. I hate it to be that way, too. I hope Bart comes up with something cool after receiving and testing his. I'm at a loss without mechanically changing the surface of the linen. My teeth are still chattering from the last time I tried to overcome my failure. Sincerely, a little, Denny

I actually don't mind the "feel" of the linen. I find stropping on it to be quite nice, but the results are not all that great.

JF

^ This is my experience.
If it cleans the edge up for the leather I don't care about the HHT. I can get that result elsewhere.

RicTic said:
^ This is my experience.
If it cleans the edge up for the leather I don't care about the HHT. I can get that result elsewhere.

That's my point. If the HHT (or more importantly the Shave) is good off the leather, why bother? :huh:

it has been said that agood linen does improve a HHT. can the leather boost HHT with out the use of a good linen. i have found i get better shaves and better hht of my linen/leather. i have had in the past HHt of the hone as good as if i have stropped, in this case i would say the leather only would be fine. its just not that often i get a good 4 of the hone, if i did then leather would be fine . the linen defanatley helps me get that 4. Why bother with HHt at all? just shave if the shave is good then thats all that matters.

gary

rich mond you must be getting very good hht of hone, so leather is all you need .
other guys may struggle a little my self included so i find linen helps me get there.

garyhaywood said:
it has been said that agood linen does improve a HHT. can the leather boost HHT with out the use of a good linen. i have found i get better shaves and better hht of my linen/leather. i have had in the past HHt of the hone as good as if i have stropped, in this case i would say the leather only would be fine. its just not that often i get a good 4 of the hone, if i did then leather would be fine . the linen defanatley helps me get that 4. Why bother with HHt at all? just shave if the shave is good then thats all that matters.

gary

rich mond you must be getting very good hht of hone, so leather is all you need .
other guys may struggle a little my self included so i find linen helps me get there.

No, that's not my point Gary. I get a 2 or 3 off the hone, then I strop. After stropping on linen and leather, I test the HHT and it's always improved. Why bother breaking down which part is doing it? That's why I'm saying. I think linen and leather is important, but I'm not understanding the obsession with testing off linen

What I meant by my experience was, as jfdupuis points out, that the Kanayama linen isn't at all great for the HHT and indeed, not as bad to strop on as I'd previously heard.
If I get a 3 (for arguments sake) off the hone, the linen may knock a point off, but at least clean it for the leather, which in turn brings it back a point, at least.
I doubt the linen was designed for anything else other than cleaning the edge for the leather.
If it doesn't improve the HHT...I can live with that because the shave is still good.

Wouldn't mind one of those v weave linen's though, just to see the difference.

the reason i tested my tony miller cotton, tony miller linen , and my kanayama linen.

was because i noticed somthing was differnat. the cotton did hardly any thing, the kana linen did nothing at all. i found the leather helped but not enough. it was when i compared then i found the tony miller linen literaly gave me a boost in the hht, then the leather just finished it of. i wanted to use the fabric that seemed to work , and so now all i use is tm linen. the cotton was'nt far behind.

i don't test of linen as a rule .i hone and like your self i make sure i can pass hht level 3 cath and pop, somtimes even better, somtimes just below ,then i just strop linen / leather kanayama leather /tm linen. the i will test on finer hair for hht. Alaways a nice improve mant, and generaly a good shave.

i've had the tony miller linen a bout 4 years now may be just under . its nice meterial that works. this is why i would recomend it if any one asks. same goes for the dovo linen all though i still prefer my tm linen.

cheers gary

Lots of chatting here! I like it! I'll let you guys know how the new linen performs when I get it. At the moment I used the webbed fabric from SRD then the linen from Ambrose and Kanayama leather.

Gary, where would you place the Neil Miller linen amongst those?
Assuming you've tried it that is.

i've had a sample of neils linen and its good as tony millers, the genuine linen is the one you want from neil.

i have never stropped on neils linen but i'm sure it would be as good . lets wait and see what jfdupis finds?

if you check stroshop neil actauly say in his opinion linen is better than cotton or canvas .he also says its a little more abrasive or though i should imagine if its like mine it does'nt feel abrasive.

RicTic said:
Gary, where would you place the Neil Miller linen amongst those?
Assuming you've tried it that is.
I am not Gary but i unscrwed the screw,threw away the old linen, installing the new one.
I hope it helps
Best Regards
Emmanuel

Well, that makes sense. If I had a problem I guess I'd test it more. I've been using TM linen, SRD Poly weave, and SRD Cotton, and I've not really seen any detrimental qualities of one over the other at the end of the full progression. To me, testing after the linen would be like stopping to do a TPT after each dilution.

If I found the final result was lacking (after leather) repeatedly, I would probably change out my linen too, I guess. I do wonder about the Horsehide though because I've never found one that was really able to boost anything in terms of performance except after quite an extensive break in period (literally months of use, like 6). My Hand American horsehide still isn't really cut out for the task, yet. I'm hoping to break it in and make it effective, but right now, it's not. Of course, it didn't come with a linen component, so that may be a contributing factor. My TM Horsehide wasn't all that great either until that break in period (and that's with the exceptional linen component.

Back