ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

LPB Users

Basil

Howdy all,

So I've been playing around with my lpb and have another one on the way. I'll only be using my one stone until I get it right so no worrying about that.

What I've been wondering tho is if anyone who is familiar with this layer has any tips. I know it's gonna take lots of Practice to get it right, but can't hurt to get some tips from other members.

So far I've been spending more time on the water to make sure the edge is there in case I didn't dilute the slurry properly. But how can I be sure what is the right time to dilute?

I usual start with a milky slurry and do about 15 x strokes and dilute down about 5-7 times until just plain water. Rinse stone and razor and then about 50x's Does this sound about right to everyone?

Looking forward to hearing any tips you all may have!

-basil

ust set bevel once bevel is set the razor is nearly there. so just dilute every set with a finger load of water. so long as bevel is set you can dilute . strat with a milky slurry i start with milky to coffee cream slurry . watch bart video in the acadamey note what his slurry is like and how he moves his index finger and how much pressure he seems to be using, that is a guide good giude line. I'vebeen honing for four years and i still watch the video now and then to se if i missed somthing. i think we should have some more video of dilucoting in a video section. This would give us all somthing to learn from. seeing what other guys do differantly . This may help improve how own technique .

gary

I concur. Follow that video closely.

If you're not there, then go back and start over but with half the slurry density and with sets of 17 or so (if i count right) front and back and dilute every set or two until you're at water.

One thing i noticed, is that once you rinse and then go to water for final halfstrokes + x-strokes, you have to watch and utilize pressure.

I just honed a slightly smiling vintage today, and i think i've got it down well. i did some heavy bevel, then a full gradual dilution. switching to water, half the x-strokes with forefinger pressure, then second half less pressure. Switched to x-strokes, and gradually reduced pressure to as little as possible, and kept at it around 20-40 until i was at desired keenness. thorough stropping and it's right there, a decent HHT4.

When finishing under running water, it's easier to maintain super light pressure with even distribution. surface pressure of the water, i think. I get similar results with a light frothy slurry, and get very keen edges.

Garry wrote <i think we should have some more video of dilucoting in a video section. This would give us all somthing to learn from. seeing what other guys do differantly . This may help improve how own technique .>

I think that the reason Bart doesn't put up other video's is because every stone is different in the way it's got to be used to obtain optimal results. The video is just a directive. I got the pleasure to see Bart at work recently, he honed two of my razors on two different stones. The method was different, he has honed a lot of razors on a lot of stones and just developed a feel for what he has to do to obtain good results. And I think everyone has to learn on his own stones to do just that. When he was busy on the second razor on a La Grosse Blanche it didn't go the way he liked, reason for that was that he was doing a lot of talking with me and my wife, once he concentrated it took maybe two minutes and the results where there. It's a bit like learning to shave with a SR, it takes a lot of practice to become proficient at it. Buy I too would like to see some other video's by other people to see how they do it. Greets Ron

yes i thought just that . I'd like to see how others are dilucoting. i watched bart hone after a thew bears that even better:D

gary

I find my La Petite Blanche more difficult in the finishing stage than my La Veinette,even if it seems faster on water with half X-strokes (the water becomes a little grey). I can get HHT-3 on thick hair with my La Veinette but only a HHT-2 with my La Petite Blanche. Don't know what doesn't work:confused:

I have watched many times Bart's video in slow motion but couldn't discover "the secret" of X-strokes on water.
So maybe next time, I will make another try after some beers:D

Regards

Laurent

So you make a slurry and then dilute it.

But what happens after you give the bear a beer?...

I notice, with my LPB, there is a nice feedback that will clue you in as to when to dilute. At the beginning of each dilution you feel a very light resistance during your strokes... then when it is time to dilute again the resistance is gone and the strokes feel more "glassy". It's one way I can tell when it is time to dilute.

Today I try to hone a vintage Le Grelot (same blade as http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1837.html)on my La Petite Blanche 175*40. As there were very small teeth in the middle of the edge (due to collision with the previous scale) I did 2 sets of 30 half strokes to be sure to get rid of the teeth. Then I thought to use a method described by Gary and David (Rictic) : go from milky slurry directly to water stage, but decided to do two more dilutions. At first, after diluting the contact with the surface hone is grainy then it is slick when the edge undercuts the slurry. But after the water stage I can't get more than HHT-2 near the toe and heel and 1 in the middle. I decided to go back with misty slurry (4 rubs) and used 6 stages of dilution then go to water stage and finishes with 100 X trokes on water only allways trying to put some more pressure to make the wave going from the heel to the point. But nevertheless can't get much more than a good HHT-2, and HHT-1 in the middle.
So is there something wrong in what I've done?

I then used My La Veinette from misty slurry (2 rubs) an get HHT-3.

PS : My La Petite Blanche was lapped on the BBW side of my La Veinette

I've had similar problems with my lpb. i spent some time getting achip out of my mates razor with lpb. It was a big chip. i got it out with some work. i did dilucot and the hht was'nt great. So i worked like hell on water. i got some improvemant but not brill. The next day i decided to work the bevel on slurry and checked the hht before diluting. I was getting a 2 of slurry. so i just went straight to water. I then got a nice 3/4. the shave was very smooth and sound as. i took a razor that was passing hht 4/5. I did 20 laps on my lpb with one rub of slurry stone and barley no slurry then i did 50 water. I performed the hht and was surprised how it had dropped realy dropped.This would never of happend with any of my other coticules. the reason i did this was to tame the edge. I have since worked on a couple of razors and the shaves of been good but not stella as ralfy would say. the lpb is not my most sucessful coticule, yet. I had a similar problem with my leslat yellow side. I went back to it a thew weeks ago and it became my favourite as the edges were unreal. How i did it i still don't no. I got a violin of that . One set of half strokes and 40 x strokes and i got a 3/4 of the hone.

What i would do if i was you or try as i would , is set bevel and end with 30 light laps on slurry. Quikly check hht. If you get a violin. You should be able to work the edge up on water. If you get nothing no sign of hht. Dilute and carry on with another set. then repeat 30 light strokes. check hht . So just monitor any progress. You may come to a point where your ready to hit water stages.

i'd like to hear how others are getting on and any good tips. I no paul gets on with his. i'm sure lpbs are all similar but can be differant. i think you can over do the dilutions and loose the edge , i have found less is better well has worked better for me. I use just normal pressure. I also found loading the hone with water every 10 x strokes in finishing stages makes some differance. As the layer of water creates a nice cushion for a lighter stroke, also steadier more controlled stroke. these lpb are fast on slurry faster than the everage coti on water. I don't see why it should be a problem getting a keen edge. I will give mine some more time and see how it goes..

gary

Gary, my best recommendation is to use it exclusively for quite a while. :)

You're observations are accurate, but I don't find there to be much difference in the performance of the several examples I have in my collection.

in all onesty i hav'nt shaved of my lpb that many times. the shaves have been ok. most guys would probably be more than happy. i no i could get better. i have had better shaves of coticules. i have to say my lpb is a pleasure to hone on. Its feels real nice and looks bueatiful.i think my problem is i'm judging the razor based on hht, instead of both shave . i'll get a three of strop and dout the razor and honing.

gary

If I understand what you just said correctly, I'd say you can definitely get better results then. HHT3 is well within reach of the LPB off the stone. That's what I always got prior to going to stropping when I was doing HHT obsessively... Now, I'm not doing it at all.

paul that is me i obsevily do the hht. I came to the conclusion at one point that a 3 of the hone with a thick hair. That never fails to give me a good shave.

well i have just whipped out my lpb. i have used a blade that does'nt seem to give me a great hht as it has been honed to much. wider bevelnow.

i dulled the little henkells. made a skimmed milk slurry as you recomend by your self . with skimmed milk slurry i'm just so surprised at how quik the lpb goes to work. It realy is fast as lightening. bevel was set in a jiffy. the sound you mention i hear it very clear. I diluted very very pracise with a half load of finger loaded with water .not a full drop. the abrasive sound stayed with me for about 6/7 dilutions. Then the sound faded away . My stroke was slower than normal. reason for this was so i could listen and feel what was happening. feed back etc. i then moniterd the hht , i was getting a violin of thin slurry after 30 normal x strokes. All is looking good. i did another 2 sets on half strokes. then finished as usaual . the hht on a medium hair was a 3 with a nice tug and shunt. that feel i no very well, that tells me the razor is shave ready. This razor has gave me no joy just latley. the toe end has been giving me some asle. This time round with the lpb has gave me a perfect hht of the hone. i'll post how the shave goes. there is no dout the lpb is as good as any other coticule i have honed on, when it works for me:)

practice makes perfect.

So this time i took a nice relaxed aproach. steady controlled strokes diluted pracise and not care less. listend very care fully to the sound of abrasiveness. Took it on board. for the next timei hone on this coticule.i did notice the abrasive sound to glassy feel. Towards the half way stage of honing. certanly hit the hht i was wanting. I no this razor will perform well, just by the kind of hht i got of the hone . So very happy so far.

gary

Finishing on LPB has been inconsistent. I've assumed it was my stroke not being steady enough to keep it flat on a narrow stone. When I tried to finish on the LPB, HHTs were 2-3 with mostly 2s. I'd then switch to a slightly wider Dressante and 3s were easier to obtain.

What I've told others that ask - is that my finishing on the Coti (either) is less consistent than other stones. I can get a shavable edge, but not that keen. Yet for taking a blade from set bevel to just ready to finish, I've not used or wanted to use anything else. Its pleasant and effective. I assume pilot error/skill level for the spotty finishing results.

I've just shaved of my lpb. the shave was fine . with and against the grain was no problem. there was no iritation after 4 passes. normal y i'd do just two. i just needed to give a good testing. As paul said to me the edges feel so dull yet give a clean shave. typical coticule edge does have that feel. This edge was very dull and forgiving as in feel. the razor went throuight stubble with ease . So i could shave every day with this edge with no problems. It reminded me of a vintage coticule i shaved of. the shaves of coticules can vary. this wil be due to the level of sharpness you reach. The hht was a 3 and a four closer to the holding point with a medium hair. So the shave was smooth forgiving absalutley no pulling what so ever . No resistance all i needed was my usaul guidance as i shaved. Very good result and much closer to a 10 this time . I'm sitting at my computer right now and feel as though a razor never touched my face, thats how i like it
gary

Back