ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

M. Peroni Razor?

Snowbeard

Many of us are aware of the M. Peroni Tilted Head (or Tilting Head) razor from France. I've always thought of it as being very similar to (or perhaps exactly like) a Gibbs, cap and plate wise, except with the benefit of standard blades being able to be utilized. Perhaps someone has both razors and can better comment on this speculation.

In any event, would you feel comfortable calling this unbranded Gun Koted razor of mine, purchased from France, an M. Peroni, given its striking resemblance to the Tilted Head? Or does a different name come to mind for anyone?

I've borrowed one of Walid's photos (submitted elsewhere) along with a couple more photos of the Tilted Head from the net for comparison purposes to mine.

Peroni.jpeg
1_d0b489b9e5bddae048b738b1bee1c14e.jpeg
v1_d0b489b9e5bddae048b738b1bee1c14e.jpeg
M. Peroni Razor, 52g, Like Gibbs but takes standard blades, Irus Brand? Gunkoted, France 3.JPG
M. Peroni Razor, 52g, Like Gibbs but takes standard blades, Irus Brand?, Gunkoted, France 2.JPG
M. Peroni Razor, 52g, Like Gibbs but takes standard blades,Irus Brand?, Gunkoted, France 5.JPG
M. Peroni Razor, 52g, Like Gibbs but takes standard blades, Gunkoted, France 4.JPG
M. Peroni Razor, 52g, Like Gibbs but takes standard blades, Irus Brand? Gunkoted, France 1.JPG

Head resembles a Gibbs. If I remember correctly, I started buying Gibbs because their baseplates resembled that of the Peroni that much. Not sure about the handle.

Head resembles a Gibbs. If I remember correctly, I started buying Gibbs because their baseplates resembled that of the Peroni that much. Not sure about the handle.
Hi Richard. Seems to me both the baseplate and the handle are quite similar between the Tilting Head Peroni and my "Peroni"...

I do not see the similarities between handles. The double ring on the base is something loads of Gillettes and German razors had. The three rings higher up look similar, but where's the double ribbed ring near the head? Bottom and top of the Peroni are rounded, where this one is flat and tapered. This is not a Leresche, Gobbs or Peroni handle.
The baseplate however is extremely similar to Peroni or Gibbs razors.
In my opinion you either have a Gibbs that is not often seen, an unbranded Gibbs-clone, or a frankenset.

I do not see the similarities between handles. The double ring on the base is something loads of Gillettes and German razors had. The three rings higher up look similar, but where's the double ribbed ring near the head? Bottom and top of the Peroni are rounded, where this one is flat and tapered. This is not a Leresche, Gobbs or Peroni handle.
The baseplate however is extremely similar to Peroni or Gibbs razors.
In my opinion you either have a Gibbs that is not often seen, an unbranded Gibbs-clone, or a frankenset.
Richard, with respect, I think that you're downplaying the similarities. Yes, loads of Gillettes and German razors have double rings at the base of the handle. But the rings at the base of these two razors protrude in the same way, perhaps a bit more prominently than some others and appear to have similar knurling and gaps between them. And both of these handles have a little "button" at the end which is not found everywhere. And both handles have three light rings further up the handle while the handles themselves have a general "chubby" appearance to them in my eye. The lack of a double ring near the head can be explained simply by the fact that the razors are two different models. One's a tilted head, ones' not. Surely theres got to be some differences in the handle to accommodate these differences? As to my razor possibly being Franken, I believe that I saw Cha-wing!! post the same razor a few years ago on one of his Shave of the Day photos. Perhaps Thomas would be able to chime in (when he gets back from vacation).

Last edited:
Knurling is 4 rows on the Peroni, 5 on yours. Peroni handle is hollow: the bottom is open, yours is closed. There's as many differences as there's similarities, so I'm just not convinced.
We need someone versed in French razor history here :)

Knurling is 4 rows on the Peroni, 5 on yours. Peroni handle is hollow: the bottom is open, yours is closed. There's as many differences as there's similarities, so I'm just not convinced.
We need someone versed in French razor history here :)
Fair enough Richard. Hopefully we'll hear from Cha-wing!! You say it's likely not a Gibbs. This may make sense. Why would they make a razor that takes standard blades that would compete with their own proprietary blades? Myself, I'm ready to conclude, in my own mind, that this particular model of razor 1. comes from France, 2. is not Franken (given my recall of Cha-wing's previous photo). So, to me, it's probably a Gibbs clone... Perhaps time will present one in a case or box, and we'll be able to see for sure. Cheers.

Well, Gibbs actually did make razors that took normal blades ...
Good point.
I am aware of the one Gibbs that took standard blades. The one with the plastic handle.
Are you aware, Richard, of any other "completely metal" Gibbs razors that also utilize the standard blades available today?

Hey efsk (Richard). I see that I've probably misunderstood your last post. If I understand it correctly, you're saying that you have 3 Gibbs razors. You're not saying that you have 3 Gibbs razors that take standard blades, right? It's just the one "Normal" razor that is Gibbs branded and that takes standard blades, correct? If so, no need to post further photos, at least as far as I'm concerned. I think we all know that you're referring to the familiar "Plus/Minus" razor and the much sought after "Réglable".

So, to summarize, if I could, I believe that we've identified the following as being the Gibbs razors, or Gibbs-like razors, that take standard blades. They are:

1. The Gibbs "Normal" (which has a plastic handle, which is an undesirable feature, IMHO),
2. The M. Peroni Tilting Head (which has the nice Gibbs head, but the Tilting feature is also a drawback, IMHO),
3. Gibbs clones, like my example (unless on the off chance it happens to some day be found to be an M. Peroni...ha ha).

Would you also consider this one for inclusion into the category of razors with very Gibbs-like plates and caps, but that also has the benefit of taking standard blades?

4. Olyfa.

Olyfa Razor, 51 g, France 2 (1).JPG
Olyfa Razor, 51 g, France 3.JPG
Olyfa Razor, 51 g, France 4.JPG
Olyfa Razor, 51 g, France 7.JPG
Olyfa Razor, 51 g, France 8.JPG

I've 10 Gibbs, three of which take normal blades. They're shown in posts 1, 2 and 6 here.

The Olypa I'd place in a category of its own. Although you might argue the baseplate of the Zaiss-razors (see Neo-Gam/Lux/Ras thread) is a development of this one.

That's great. Thanks for that.

So Gibbs did make at least 3 razors that took standard blades, and in three different models: "Normal", Differential and Adjustable.
Too bad, IMHO, that they all seem to have plastic handles. That takes the fun out of it for me.

As to the Zaiss razors, they're German of course and I personally think that they're just a tad "too different" from the Gibbs to really be Gibbs-like (although I acknowledge you did say "arguably".. ) To me the Olyfa (not Olypa) is closer to the Gibbs.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Back