ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

meeting in the netherlands

Snuff

Hi fellow shavers,

I got a invitation to attent a meeting in the netherlands, it's all about shaving and barber materials. If your interested you can visit http://scheermuseum.nl/

greets Ron

Should have thought about the link myself, thanks.

Stijn if your interested you can ride with me, they asked if another person from Torhout could ride along. Leo Debrouwer is also coming and probably his friend Peter.

Greets, Ron

Same here. I don't have too much time for the moment :blush:
But I sent them an email, I would suggest that those interested do the same thing.

I would attend if I can fit it in my agenda. I tried to sign up on that website, but did not find a link to do so.

Kind regards,
Bart.

There is some more information on the site now: http://www.scheermuseum.nl/content/barbiersbeurs-het-spoorwegmuseum-utrecht

As I understand it, about seven hone enthousiasts (of which five from Belgium!) have confirmed they plan to attend. I hope to be there too. If anyone would like to see or try any stone type or particular stone I have, just let me know: it'll be my pleasure to comply with such requests!

I must admit that I completely forgot about this.

But I plan to attend. If there are any Belgian members planning to visit the meeting in Utrecht on October 9th, please post in this thread so we can make carpooling arrangements.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I can't go but Leo and Peter normally are, I think however that they plan on taking the train. (btw any plans for another meeting this year? The one planned in Brussels didn't take place) have a nice day, Ron

snuff said:
I can't go but Leo and Peter normally are, I think however that they plan on taking the train. (btw any plans for another meeting this year? The one planned in Brussels didn't take place) have a nice day, Ron
Ron,

Hendrik is busy planning a meeting in Brussels.

I've sent an e-mail to Leo to inquire if we can travel together.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Now that sounds like fun. Too bad it's about 1500 km. one-way. Oh, the perks of moving away to near the polar circle...
I think the North Cape is actually closer now than Utrecht is. Maybe it would be possible to organise something up there. :w00t:

Leo said he wouldn't attend. It appears that only participants who've paid for a display table will be allowed to exchange stuff, which seems to have put him off.
I used the contact form to inquire if there was interest in a Coticule sharpening demonstration, but didn't receive an answer.
Without any company to travel together, I decided to accept another invitation on Sunday.

Maybe another time, we'll be able to make better arrangements for a group visit to the Scheermuseum.

Kind regards,
Bart.

The rule about the display tables made many people think twice about attending, I tried to communicate with the organisers but they insisted that no visitor could buy anything from the people who where displaying there stuff in Utrecht. If anybody attends the meeting I would love to hear how things turned out. I can't go because my father is very sick.

Bart, I think they never answered your question about the coticule demonstration because there is already someone who is sharpening razors at that meeting.

snuff said:
The rule about the display tables made many people think twice about attending, I tried to communicate with the organisers but they insisted that no visitor could buy anything from the people who where displaying there stuff in Utrecht. If anybody attends the meeting I would love to hear how things turned out. I can't go because my father is very sick.

Bart, I think they never answered your question about the coticule demonstration because there is already someone who is sharpening razors at that meeting.

Thanks for the additional information Ron.
I guess we'll be meeting up in Brussels anytime soon. :thumbup:

Bart.

Bart said:
I guess we'll be meeting up in Brussels anytime soon.

Really looking forward to it, I'm sure I'll pick up a few useful things from you guys that will improve my shaving and honing. Greets Ron

Too bad you aren't coming, and worse for the reasons: illness (beterschap thuis!), disappointment and lack of response. The latter doesn't sound like Theo Doeleman (proprietor of the Scheermuseum and organizer of the meeting) at all. I know him as a fine gentleman, passionate about his hobby and generous in sharing both materially and in knowledge.

Whatever happened, I'm sure lack of response wasn't due to there being someone else available for sharpening. On the contrary, Theo was, ís much looking forward to getting together as many enthousiast as possible, from all exotic corners of the barbering hobby. When he told me four or five people were thinking of coming all the way from Belgium especially for the honing side of things, I positively heard a tiny bit of pride and a huge amount of joy and anticipation in his voice.

No doubt, he'll be disappointed to hear something went amiss. As he was disappointed about the strict provisions the Railway Museum set regarding buying/trading/entrance to the museum, even though he managed to find a sponsor to bring down the fee to around €5,-

Anyway, I too was really looking forward to meeting you guys IRL and I'll keep a keen eye on developing plans to visit the Scheermuseum and/or a meet in Brussels. If anyone does decide to come next Sunday, my advice would be to forget about email and web-forms, and just call Theo on his home number published on his website: +31(0)514-581524 (home after 6pm).

I just got a email from Theo, the price has gone down to 5 euro indeed and the rule that only the people with display tables could buy/trade/sell is also out the window. I really hope that they get a lot of visitors, it's not easy to set up such a meeting after all.

Yes, I received that e-mail too.

I'm prepared to reconsider my plans for the weekend and try to be present from around noon. But not if I have to take the trip all by myself. I'm willing to collect passengers in a circle of 30km around Heist-op-den-Berg or in the vicinity of the route between my place and Utrecht. It's about an hour and 45 minutes driving and I would leave around 10.30. I would aim to be back home around 19.00h, so we could stay in Utrecht until 17.00h.

Bart.

That's great!

Have you found fellow-travellers yet? I'm asking because if you are coming, I'll leave the Coticule section to you, and concentrate on other hones to bring. If you're not coming, I'll make sure to include a good selection of old barber Coticules in different styles.

Selecting is difficult: for the general public it's best to show an attractive cross-section of commonly used razor hones, and not to go into too much detail on varieties and rare finds - exactly what the hone afficionados would want to see and try and talk about...

On my list so far are mainly a lot of Thuringians with various labels and shapes, on request by a hone collector (from outside the shaving world) writing a book on European hones. Amongst those a number of Eschers to demystify differences between colours and companies.

And further:
- vintage Turkey/Greek/Cretan hones
- Vosgiennes/'brown Eschers'
- Schwedensteine
- La Lune/Special Stone
- Charnley Forests & Co (Llyn Idwal, 'toad-stone', and some unidentified stones)
- The Scots (Dalmore Blue and Yellow, Tam O'Shanter, White TOS, Water of Ayr)
- Silkvein
- Gotlandsbryne
- Due Medaglie fine and coarse
- Yliskylä/Orivesi Slate

To retain overview other stones, including the large categories of Welsh slates (Salmen/Master/Yellow Lake etc) and Japanese hones, have to stay at home - unless someone has a request.

All of the hones I'll bring (except the few unlapped) may be used by anyone who wants to try.

Back