ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Merkur 37

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
As a lover of slants, it is impossible not to like the Merkur 37. Basically in production forever, for a while this was the only slant left in production, after a heyday during the 30s-50s where every respectable razormaker had one. Over time, the model has changed slightly, but I've yet to find one I do not like.
For a long time, Merkur also produced for a number of other resellers, such as Hoffritz, Coles, Pomco, and more, and these all had their own branded 37. I'd place those in their own Hoffritz, etc, threads, but it shows how widely spread this razor is.
A longscrew, short handle twopiece imho this is one iconic piece of shaving equipment. On top of it, it shaves great as well.
To start, the variant that was produced since somewhere more recent than the 50s maybe even 60s, up to 2016.
DSC01681.JPG
DSC01682.JPG
DSC01683.JPG
DSC01684.JPG
DSC01685.JPG
DSC01686.JPG
DSC01687.JPG
DSC01688.JPG
DSC01689.JPG
DSC01691.JPG
DSC01692.JPG
DSC01693.JPG

I think this will be the first slant Razor I will buy. However, due to a period of not making any aquisitions, this will not be in the nearby future.

There is a very good reason this design has lasted all these years and it is because it is very efficient and comfortable. Up until recently, this design was the most cloned by no name razor makers. My preference is for the earlier ones that did not have scalloped edges on the cap. I have a Hoffritz, and it was my favorite version of the Merkur 37 until the Parker 55 came out a couple of months ago.

Non-scalloped ones are, as far as I can see pre-sixties, or maybe till midsixties or so. This was the period Merkur made silverhandled razors with chrome heads. In order to prevent the handles from blackening, they had a thin layer of lacquer.
DSC08495.JPG
DSC08496.JPG
DSC08497.JPG
DSC08498.JPG
DSC08499.JPG
DSC08500.JPG
DSC08501.JPG
DSC08502.JPG

Back