ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Merry Christmas

Paul

I've determined that I'm giving my brother one of my most recent Gold Dollar razors honed entirely on my newest lovely number 23 from the vault. I have done everything but the shave test. The razor is on HHT 4 right now, and I'll probably give it another 100 laps with just water to try to get that last bit of keenness. I'm still just enamored with the idea of using this little guy to set the bevel and finish on. I have hardly touched my other stones since getting my coti in and have been doing a lot more honing than normal lately :)

Success! I did another 100 laps on water only and stropped it until I attained my first HHT-5 on my coticule. I'm really excited. However, I'm rethinking my gift idea:D

Great, 100 laps should just about get you there:thumbup: , now lets hear how the shave goes.

... Never was a fan of "Less is More":lol: .

Smythe said:
Great, 100 laps should just about get you there:thumbup: , now lets hear how the shave goes.

Yeah, I've always wondered about that, too. I've tried that approach and found my resulting edges to be below my standards.

This may be better suited for another thread, but could someone explain over-honing to me? If steel is removed everytime and you are doing edge-leading strokes, how does over-honing happen? I've never come across anything about the subject that I could make sense of.

richmondesi said:
Smythe said:

Yeah, I've always wondered about that, too. I've tried that approach and found my resulting edges to be below my standards.

This may be better suited for another thread, but could someone explain over-honing to me? If steel is removed everytime and you are doing edge-leading strokes, how does over-honing happen? I've never come across anything about the subject that I could make sense of.

:D
Join the club!

"Less is more" has a nice ring to it, but on Coticules, I never got that adage to work. Quite frankly, I haven't been able to make it work on my Choseras either, but thàt might be incompetence of my part...

Overhoning: it's Christmas eve, for crying out loud. No time now to swear in the church.:D Start a thread about it early next year. I promise we'll kick some ass.:O

Best wishes,
Bart.

Bart said:
richmondesi said:
Smythe said:

:D
Join the club!

"Less is more" has a nice ring to it, but on Coticules, I never got that adage to work. Quite frankly, I haven't been able to make it work on my Choseras either, but thàt might be incompetence of my part...

Overhoning: it's Christmas eve, for crying out loud. No time now to swear in the church.:D Start a thread about it early next year. I promise we'll kick some ass.:O

Best wishes,
Bart.
:D :D :D
:w00t:

Shave Test was fantastic. It was not my all time best edge, but it was better than several in my rotation and quite good. I'm not sure how much of that is my honing, the coticule, or the steel in the Gold Dollar razor.

There was very little alum sting. In fact, I didn't feel the need for it at all (I wouldn't have even used it except I know that's one of the benchmarks used to judge an edge by Bart). I ended up with a very comfortable BBS, even though the shave started out bad due to some terrible lather. I was so excited about the test that I really rushed the lather and ended up with a foamy air-infused mess. Once I got that fixed, the resulting shave was stupendous. :thumbup:

That's another "win". :D

richmondesi said:
Smythe said:

Don't worry my friend, stick around, in the coming year we will don our Straitjacket err..., that should be "Flak Jacket" and "bust" those razor honing myths... but for now enjoy the season.

richmondesi said:
Shave Test was fantastic. It was not my all time best edge, but it was better than several in my rotation and quite good. I'm not sure how much of that is my honing, the coticule, or the steel in the Gold Dollar razor.

There was very little alum sting. In fact, I didn't feel the need for it at all (I wouldn't have even used it except I know that's one of the benchmarks used to judge an edge by Bart). I ended up with a very comfortable BBS, even though the shave started out bad due to some terrible lather. I was so excited about the test that I really rushed the lather and ended up with a foamy air-infused mess. Once I got that fixed, the resulting shave was stupendous. :thumbup:

That's another "win". :D
Niiiiice... for your first few attempts with that Coticule... it can only get better.:)

Smythe said:
Niiiiice... for your first few attempts with that Coticule... it can only get better.:)

I had my wife feel it, and she responded "oh my goodness:O ... It's always smooth, but that's so much softer and smoother than normal":thumbup:

I've been partial to natural stones already, but this is great!

richmondesi said:
I had my wife feel it, and she responded "oh my goodness:O ... It's always smooth, but that's so much softer and smoother than normal":thumbup:

I've been partial to natural stones already, but this is great!

Well done Paul well done! as said on everything in this thread from me, and my tru test is always my wife, if she says its smooth then believe me it is!

Sorry to swear again but the "O.H." word! oh my! those synthetic boys have a completely different slant on things dont they?

tat2Ralfy said:
Well done Paul well done! as said on everything in this thread from me, and my tru test is always my wife, if she says its smooth then believe me it is!

Sorry to swear again but the "O.H." word! oh my! those synthetic boys have a completely different slant on things dont they?

yup;)

Back