ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Micro Fastener Source

DJKELLY

Would someone give me a hint at the best place to get micro fasteners for scale work? Some of the places I have looked want a king's ransom. I was a mechanic for years and like the idea of threads, but don't really know if it will take away from the elegance of a nice item. I am usually much more concerned with function over form. Thanks, Denny

Dennis,
You can get them at http://www.microfasteners.com/. I never use them as the final pin, they are un-attractive, in my opinion and require constant re-tightening. I do use them for assembly work and that is where I find them very useful.

Ray

My biggest problem is since I reuse the fasteners from project to project the bags of 50 go a long way. I agree about them being ugly for final, but I do leave them in all the way through the first shave, just because I hate when I really like a set of scales, but the edge doesn't hold up. I have one set of scales that is on it's second blade (first was dropped while prepping for pinning).

OK, can you give me the size of the standard used for scales and normal cap screw head style. I don't want to buy the assortment and would appreciate your trail blazing. I am leaning toward hex head, but don't know if there are any disadvantages. Associates, what size are you getting with the Revisors? I put in an order for a nice Revisor (obviously not with microfasteners) so I can participate with all the honing that's going to go on. Yours truly, Denny

The benchmark Revisors are 6/8" wide blades, full hollow ground, double shoulder.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
The benchmark Revisors are 6/8" wide blades, full hollow ground, double shoulder.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I am sure they are lovely, however.......

I believe Denny was asking about the size of the micro Fasteners?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

You want size 0 microfasteners. That's 1/16" diameter. I'm not sure if the pivot pin hole in the Revisors is closer to 1/16" or 5/64" (I think that's the size, would have to check when I get home) but probably 1/16". You also want size 0 washers. When you're looking for the fasteners, you'll probably see 0-80 and 0-90. Make sure that you get the same for the bolts and the nuts. The 80 and 90 are the thread count.

EDIT:
All the razors I've seen with holes larger than 1/16" plus epsilon have a hole that's still noticeably smaller than 5/64", meaning that in any case, you'd want a size 0 bolt.

tat2Ralfy said:

I interpret Dennis' post as if he was asking 2 questions. One about the micro-bolts, that I can't answer because I don't speak "imperial scale", and I know he needs an answer in inches.

Here's what I read as his second question:
DJKELLY said:
Associates, what size are you getting with the Revisors? I put in an order for a nice Revisor (obviously not with microfasteners) so I can participate with all the honing that's going to go on.

Did I misunderstand?

Kind regards,
Bart.

My bad, I think you are right Sir Bart?

TBH though I am not sure how Denny can help with the great experiment? although to be fair I am not yet in possession of all of the facts.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:

Kind regards,
Bart.

I am sure they are lovely, however.......

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Atta boy, Dr. Ralfson. You are correct. And Bart, how very continental of you to assume I don't understand the metric system. Base eight, right. You might be surprised to know how much the metric system is used in the America automotive industry, of which I was a part for many years. In addition, I have built furniture converting every measurement into metric and it was still much, much easier than using "standard" as it is called here. I have often wondered why we don't at least have rules and tapes in inches and tenths of inches instead of the archaic 1/16ths, etc. I still have trouble believing we were so stupid to reject the metric experiment twenty or so years ago. I have to special order tape measures that are metric only rather than imperial and metric on the same tape.

Honestly, I was pretty scattered in my post. I read that you were using microfasteners for the project razors and thought they would be the right size and style for me to order for my own use. I believe I now have enough information to make an informed choice. Thanks to all.

Since I have no idea what the great experiment will be, I indeed, might not be able to help, Doc, but I am disappointed to learn I have no chance. I'm a really good dilucotter, a fabulous dilucotter. :rolleyes:

As to the Revisor--I have heard nothing but good from you gents for whom I have great respect, about their performance. That alone, is reason enough for me to order one, but I also would like to shadow the techniques brought out in the experiment with a blade of the same type.

Your troglodyte friend, Denny

Dennis,

it is not I that doubts your knowledge of the metric system, but I know you need to place the order at Microfasteners.com in their imperial system catalog. I have ordered there myself, long time ago, and I had a hard time figuring out what to order. I eventually got it right, but I don't remember the exact specs of my order anymore. If you hadn't received an answer by now, I would have been looking it all up for you.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
Dennis,

it is not I that doubts your knowledge of the metric system, but I know you need to place the order at Microfasteners.com in their imperial system catalog. I have ordered there myself, long time ago, and I had a hard time figuring out what to order. I eventually got it right, but I don't remember the exact specs of my order anymore. If you hadn't received an answer by now, I would have been looking it all up for you.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I know you would, Bart, because I know you. And you are correct in that I have not placed an order at said site, so don't know their procedures at all. I just can't help my smartass self sometimes. Been reading Ralfson too long. Sicnerely, Denny

DJKELLY said:
I have often wondered why we don't at least have rules and tapes in inches and tenths of inches instead of the archaic 1/16ths, etc.

They exist, and I've had the misfortune of encountering them. They're totally useless in the real world since no one uses tenths of an inch except 0.5 and 1.0, of course.

Ya, try spending much time building with a proper ship tape then getting one of those 1/10" tapes and screwing up your kayak! I have built using proper 8s and SAE 1/16ths as well as metric, but the tenths piss me off. I prefer all or none. Imagine grabbing the wrong tape then cutting a piece the wrong length. At least between metric and standard I can quickly tell the difference at a glance.

danjared said:
DJKELLY said:
I have often wondered why we don't at least have rules and tapes in inches and tenths of inches instead of the archaic 1/16ths, etc.

They exist, and I've had the misfortune of encountering them. They're totally useless in the real world since no one uses tenths of an inch except 0.5 and 1.0, of course.

If you design and build your own furniture or cabinets, tenths are extremely easy to use as long as you use the same tape or rule. Even if you use standard or imperial, you are asking for trouble if you don't stick with one particular tape for the whole project because they are all fractionally different. Even better than both is a story stick that uses no units whatsoever. Now, how to sharpen a story stick?

man... Canada has it bad. We tried to change, sometime in 1976. But it never really took. The metric system just makes so much sense, but now we have this strange mix, most people around here (Canada) think in Imperial measurments, but most evrything we buy is labeled in metric. I've done a few metric projects where the plans are supplied in metric measurements, but all the material is imperial. It just makes no sense!:confused:

I don't which is worse. At least Canadia (yes, Canadia) is trying. I can't believe Quebec would not be completely metric! Us rednecks just rejected it outright.

Even Belgium isn't completely metric. When I buy unplaned wood, it's all inches and feet. But as soon as it's planed wood, everything turns into millimeters.

Heck, even Romania isn`t completely metric. Especially when it comes to construction and piping, everything is in quarters of an inch... Go figure... :confused:

Back