ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Multiplying Naniwa's

decraew

All the talk lately about smaller hones being more practical got me thinking.
I still have a set of naniwa super stones from before I started using a coticule (I still use them occasionally).
One stone measures about 20.5cm x 7.5cm.
So I was thinking of maybe cutting them in two so as to obtain two hones of +/- 20 x 3.7cm.

Does someone have thoughts about why I should or should not do this ??

Thanks,
Wim

I say "it's your hone, do what you want". Since it is a synthetic and easily replaceable I don't see any reason why not to cut it down unless you feel that the stock size is right for you. I have started using smaller hones, but that is just what I like. Let us know the results, I may have to pull out the old diamond saw.

I cut down my set of naniwa´s and so far it seems like there actually easyer to use now.

Dont cut exactly in the middle unless you plan on giving one set away,
a slim and a little wider one is probably usefull at occations

Gary and I cut and shared a norton 4/8k (but dont tell anyone...lol)

And we both agree it works wonderfully

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
What? When? What did you use? Crafty, indeed! Heck, I am using my slurry stones with good results now. Pretty soon I will be honing on one garnet particle. Infinite number of hones? CAD? Denny

They can be sourced pre-cut too.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chedpro7pa.html
25g7x5j.jpg

matt321 said:
Dorothy: Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Bluebirds fly. Birds fly Over The Rainbow. Why then, oh why can't I? If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why cant I?
The Winkies: [singing repeatedly] Oh we oh, yooo ho!
Wicked Witch of the West: And now, my beauties, something with poison in it. Poppies... Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleep. Now they'll sleep!

Bhahahahahaha (evil laughter) :D :D

Bart said:
matt321 said:
Dorothy: Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Bluebirds fly. Birds fly Over The Rainbow. Why then, oh why can't I? If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why cant I?
The Winkies: [singing repeatedly] Oh we oh, yooo ho!
Wicked Witch of the West: And now, my beauties, something with poison in it. Poppies... Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleep. Now they'll sleep!

Bhahahahahaha (evil laughter) :D :D

Hahahahaha

DJKELLY said:
tat2Ralfy said:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
What? When? What did you use? Crafty, indeed! Heck, I am using my slurry stones with good results now. Pretty soon I will be honing on on garnet particle. Infinite number of hones? CAD? Denny

I used a bandsaw (metal cutting) and it wrecked the blade, but left us with a pair of very useful Nortons to play with.

Photo1479.jpg

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I am not surprised about that wrecking the blade thing. I build golf clubs and used a high dollar band saw to cut a graphite shaft. Worked great--once. Trashed the blade totally. If my experience with a hacksaw is any indicator, it would take ten or twenty blades to cut a coticule. Those nortons look completely different. Later, D

DJKELLY said:
I am not surprised about that wrecking the blade thing. I build golf clubs and used a high dollar band saw to cut a graphite shaft. Worked great--once. Trashed the blade totally. If my experience with a hacksaw is any indicator, it would take ten or twenty blades to cut a coticule. Those nortons look completely different. Later, D

Your experience with a hacksaw is a poor indicator :lol:

You can easily cut a coticule with a hacksaw and one blade. I didn't even feel the need to replace my blade after.

richmondesi said:
DJKELLY said:

Your experience with a hacksaw is a poor indicator :lol:

You can easily cut a coticule with a hacksaw and one blade. I didn't even feel the need to replace my blade after.
Well, I either had a hard coticule or a soft hacksaw blade. I used two and quit, and they were Lennox brand, professional blades. I now keep the tile saw at the ready. Sincerely, Denny

p.s. I am getting old, frail and senile, not necessarily in that order.

DJKELLY said:
Well, I either had a hard coticule or a soft hacksaw blade. I used two and quit, and they were Lennox brand, professional blades. I now keep the tile saw at the ready. Sincerely, Denny

Considering I hacksawed steel pipe on a regular basis with standard hacksaw blades, I find that hard to comprehend. I literally had my coticule hacked in less time than it would take to get out my tile saw. It was simple and easy. Long strokes, there's a reason for that long blade

richmondesi said:
DJKELLY said:

Considering I hacksawed steel pipe on a regular basis with standard hacksaw blades, I find that hard to comprehend. I literally had my coticule hacked in less time than it would take to get out my tile saw. It was simple and easy. Long strokes, there's a reason for that long blade

My experience too.
This is what they used in the old days:
zaag-c2f6c99f.jpg

They just roughed the edge on the blade with a file, and added sand and water into the groove.

By the way, they sell hacksaw blades with wolfram carbide nowadays, for sawing ceramic tiles, etc. I have one... :p

Kind regards,
Bart.

janivar123 said:
I cut down my set of naniwa´s and so far it seems like there actually easyer to use now.

Dont cut exactly in the middle unless you plan on giving one set away,
a slim and a little wider one is probably usefull at occations

Do what he said. I did this with my Norton and it was very handy having 2 different sizes to choose from. I found the narrow stones much easier to use than the full size hone. Don't have any real use for them now though, so I will be selling them in the marketplace when I get around to it.

Tank you very much Bart.
I sent an e-mail for you.
Best Regards
Emmanuel

Back