My "first" coticule

jkh

Well, not really. I had a vintage coticule/BBW for a short period of time, but didn't take the time to learn how to use the stone. Needless to say, my results were not good, so I sold the stone. I have been using a set of Naniwa SuperStones and have come to hate how often they need de-swarfing/lapping and the amount of space the take up. I'm pretty new to honing, so I still have a lot to learn.

Enough blathering on, here are some pictures of my new Coticule. The dimensions are approximately 40mm x 175mm. I asked Bart to recommend a size and he suggested a 40mm wide stone - I couldn't be happier with the size.

Thanks to everyone for making this place such a wonderful resource.

P1000829.jpg
P1000830.jpg
P1000831.jpg
P1000833.jpg

Bart

It comes off the fast side of La Dressante.
The stone will serve you very well, Jeremy.:thumbup:

If you hate lapping and de-glazing synthetic waterstones, you will certainly enjoy a Coticule.

Keep us posted on your progress?

Kind regards,
Bart.

mrmaroon

That looks very nice. I think one that I have is a dresssant or a nouvelle vein coticule. bart, you need to get cracking on that layer chart!

You will have a lot of fun with that. It is my favorite size as well. I even cut up my norton lengthwise to get that size.
Regards,
Mrmaroon

jkh

Bart said:
It comes off the fast side of La Dressante.
The stone will serve you very well, Jeremy.:thumbup:

If you hate lapping and de-glazing synthetic waterstones, you will certainly enjoy a Coticule.

Keep us posted on your progress?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Cool, thanks Bart B) I have finished day two of the instructions in the "To all aspiring razor sharpeners" thread. I'm feeling pretty good about the x-stroke. Because I have a little (emphasis on little) honing experience, I have also been working on half strokes, which feel totally foreign. With the x-stroke I mainly guide the razor with my thumb and index finger. The half strokes screws that all up, since the index finger is on the blade :( Ah well, it'll improve.

Is the finishing process different on a fast stone? Not that I am ready to "finish" a razor, yet. Bart noted it was a fast stone above and when practicing x-strokes with slurry it turned gray/black pretty quick, so it seems to be a fast stone.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Bart

It is a very fast stone. ;)

For gripping and turning the razor, I personally use the same approach for stropping and honing.
Although not the only valid way, you can check it out in a
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. Somehow, switching from that grip to one that puts the index finger on top of the blade, is quite natural. In the
, you can see both grips in action.

The finishing process if always the same: start with 30 lightest possible laps on plain water and take it from there. There's no real harm in doing more, but at a certain point there will be no further gain.

Kind regards,
Bart.

sparq

Congrats, she is a pretty one! She also seems quite similar to my very fast La Dressante, including the red dots in its sides. (see it here:
)

jkh

sparq said:
Congrats, she is a pretty one! She also seems quite similar to my very fast La Dressante, including the red dots in its sides. (see it here:
)
Thank you for posting that link. Wow, that is a nice collection of stones you have there :w00t: