ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My "first" coticule

jkh

Well, not really. I had a vintage coticule/BBW for a short period of time, but didn't take the time to learn how to use the stone. Needless to say, my results were not good, so I sold the stone. I have been using a set of Naniwa SuperStones and have come to hate how often they need de-swarfing/lapping and the amount of space the take up. I'm pretty new to honing, so I still have a lot to learn.

Enough blathering on, here are some pictures of my new Coticule. The dimensions are approximately 40mm x 175mm. I asked Bart to recommend a size and he suggested a 40mm wide stone - I couldn't be happier with the size.

Thanks to everyone for making this place such a wonderful resource.

P1000829.jpg

P1000830.jpg

P1000831.jpg

P1000833.jpg

It comes off the fast side of La Dressante.
The stone will serve you very well, Jeremy.:thumbup:

If you hate lapping and de-glazing synthetic waterstones, you will certainly enjoy a Coticule.

Keep us posted on your progress?

Kind regards,
Bart.

That looks very nice. I think one that I have is a dresssant or a nouvelle vein coticule. bart, you need to get cracking on that layer chart!

You will have a lot of fun with that. It is my favorite size as well. I even cut up my norton lengthwise to get that size.
Regards,
Mrmaroon

Bart said:
It comes off the fast side of La Dressante.
The stone will serve you very well, Jeremy.:thumbup:

If you hate lapping and de-glazing synthetic waterstones, you will certainly enjoy a Coticule.

Keep us posted on your progress?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Cool, thanks Bart B) I have finished day two of the instructions in the "To all aspiring razor sharpeners" thread. I'm feeling pretty good about the x-stroke. Because I have a little (emphasis on little) honing experience, I have also been working on half strokes, which feel totally foreign. With the x-stroke I mainly guide the razor with my thumb and index finger. The half strokes screws that all up, since the index finger is on the blade :( Ah well, it'll improve.

Is the finishing process different on a fast stone? Not that I am ready to "finish" a razor, yet. Bart noted it was a fast stone above and when practicing x-strokes with slurry it turned gray/black pretty quick, so it seems to be a fast stone.

Cheers,
Jeremy

It is a very fast stone. ;)

For gripping and turning the razor, I personally use the same approach for stropping and honing.
Although not the only valid way, you can check it out in a video about stropping. Somehow, switching from that grip to one that puts the index finger on top of the blade, is quite natural. In the Dilucot video, you can see both grips in action.

The finishing process if always the same: start with 30 lightest possible laps on plain water and take it from there. There's no real harm in doing more, but at a certain point there will be no further gain.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back