ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My first shave with a ray honed razor!

mrmaroon

I shaved tonight and I will get this out of the way right now. I had the most dissapointing shave of my life. Lots of blood was involved and intense displeasure. The displeasure that my razors are not up to par with Rays! :thumbdown: I sent ray my 5/8 radiumite razor. The reasoning behind sending this one was that its the one razor that I can get super sharp - relative to my honing abilities. I wanted to compare my best honed razor with a ray honed razor. As I cleaned off the oil, I couldn't resist testing with the HHT. It was right on par with what I get on my own. I lathered up with my corn-husker/proraso combo and started the shave. I anticipated this razors arrival so I honed as best I could a razor of similar build and proceded to shave half with rays half with mine. I started with rays on the WTG pass. All was well, and it compared similarly to my own. When I was lathering up again I grabbed the razor and wasn't paying attention! It closed on my thumb and cut in about 1/8th of an inch!:scared: Even though this sounds horrible (there was a huge amount of blood) I smiled! The cut didn't hurt at all compared to the cuts I get with my own! Luckily I had duct tape and break cleaner to sterilize and seal the wound :lol:

On to the XTG pass - It was here that Ray's razor really shined through. I got a damn near BBS with minimal effort on the XTG. My own razor had to do some touch ups here and there to really stay on par. I missed a few spots on the XTG with my razor and only one small spot with rays. I lathered up a third time (I usually never do this, only for testing) and finished her off! Ray's razor sliced through the hairs with ease! My razor made 2 smalls specks of blood where I think the hair was tugged out?

Oh yes, I almost forgot! After I finished shaving, I tested rays razor with the TPT (using my now only good thumb) and I had an epiphany of sorts. For some reason as I felt the edge, words were forced into my head as if they were ray's own. "use less pressure honing my son, it will come in time" - okay, maybe not exactly like that but close enough:thumbup:

In conclusion! Ray has a new customer when I need my razors honed again! Ray, I am going to keep this razor going as long as possible, how many layers of tape did you use? Did you dilocut or unicot it? Your the only person who has ever made me happy to cut myself! Maybe I shouldn't send you more razors..... Thanks!

Yes. Our very own Ray is good. One of the best, actually.:)

Best regards,
Bart.

mrmaroon said:
Your the only person who has ever made me happy to cut myself!

Fantastic quote! :thumbup:

Sounds like you had a good 'quick fix' on your thumb. I've also had some pretty bad finger cuts due to my razors. The latest was the worst - I was sanding with some 1000 grit paper along the length of the blade (which had been breadknifed gently), slipped, and the end of my thumb ran across most of the length of the blade with a fair amount of pressure. Lots of blood, and two skin flaps *nice*.

The magic then came from superglue! A rinse under the tap, then a spray of dettol surface cleaner (didnt have any antisceptic) followed by a good few drops of superglue and within a minute the wound was cleaned and sealed. It's almost fully healed now - 8 days later :thumbup:

Yea, at the factory I work at you get drug tested if you hurt yourself. This man cut his finger off and knew he would fail, so what did he do? Sprayed it with brake cleaner, wrapped it in a shop rag and duck taped it. I saw him later and asked him about it. His comment was "If you can't duck it, %&$* it!"

I should also add that this is the first razor I have ever had honed by master. I have since added a little less pressure and my edges are shaping up nicely. Still not there yet.

mrmaroon said:
Yea, at the factory I work at you get drug tested if you hurt yourself. This man cut his finger off and knew he would fail, so what did he do? Sprayed it with brake cleaner, wrapped it in a shop rag and duck taped it. I saw him later and asked him about it. His comment was "If you can't duck it, %&$* it!"

I should also add that this is the first razor I have ever had honed by master. I have since added a little less pressure and my edges are shaping up nicely. Still not there yet.

Now, you haven't dropped out of college, Caleb, have you? working in a factory all the sudden? Because that awakes fatherly feelings in this old man, saying that you should try to finish your school, my younger friend.:sleep:

Nice story though.

Kind regards,
Bart.

No Bart, I work there some weekends and over the summer. The people at work said they would stick my head in a lathe if I stayed there full time :scared:

mrmaroon said:
No Bart, I work there some weekends and over the summer. The people at work said they would stick my head in a lathe if I stayed there full time :scared:
Ah. Excellent! :thumbup:

Back