ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My "new" NOS S.R Droescher Coticule (choice grade).

Disburden

Well, I bought this one on the SRP classifieds because I couldn't resist. It is a Vintage coticule, so I know nothing about it and it was almost brand new in the original box, hone is still stamped. I lapped it when I got it today and it is brighter than in the picture before I lapped it. My La Nouvelle Vein is more of a bright yellow with wood patterns on it while this hone is blush pink and not nearly as fast in slurry. I dulled an old razor I use for practicing on glass and honed up the blade in less than five minutes on this one, it was a lot easier to dilute than my other coticule (la Nouvelle Vein) and so far I am in love:love: . It is a glued BBW combination stone, I haven't tried the blue side yet but the slurry came out very bright purple when I lapped that side also.

After honing with this I can easily see using one hone for life...maybe....
vintagecoticule2.jpg

vintagecoticule.jpg

After Lapping, next to my first coticule and slurry stone:
DSC01063.jpg

That's a nice one. Great to learn that your first acquaintance went very well. :thumbup:

I knew I had more information about these vintage Coticules, but alas, I can't give you any further information about this one. Maybe that Smythe, or someone else, knows a thing or two about S.R. Droescher.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks, Bart!

I tried to search the internet about this brand of coticule and all I could find were razors and Eschers from their brand but nothing on the Belgian stones.:confused:
I was surprised that it was this easy to hone a blade from dull to finish, literally taking just several minutes at the most to cut through hair on my leg without a sound.
Now I am trying to resist dulling another razor just for the sake of rehoning it. :lol:

Well I tell you this... information is scarce about SRD Belgian razor hones. But here is what I know about SRD.
Severin Robert Droescher (SRD with an arrow trademark) was a New York importer and razor manufacturer operating between 1891-1924.(and I believe the razor manufacturing facilities began in 1916 in New Jersey).

Of course most of us know about S.R. DroEscher (German) razor hones but he was also the sole distributor of Apart and Celtes razor hones and even had his mark on a double sided (ceramic) razor hone of the same type.

He manufactured/distributed several excellent models of open razors including much sought after Gold Bug razor and a beautiful "Black Smith" razor with blued tang and gold lettering.
It should not be surprising that he also imported Belgian razor hones… but this is the first one I have herd of... and in NOS condition… truly a valuable collectors item.

Thanks so much that was more information that I was even expecting. I love this stone, I lapped it but kept the stamp on for obvious reasons. :love:

Another funny thing is on the box for this hone it says that you can use it with oil and I heard that if you use oil the edge would be finer. Has anyone used a coticule with just oil before and then used it again for slurry/dilucot methods?

Nick,

I haven't used it with oil. But, if you do, I see no reason to think that it would affect anything after that point. Let us know what you find out... sounds like you got some 'xperimentin' to do B)

Paul

yep. I've used it on the vintage I just sold to Denny. It didn't hurt the hone at all (non-porous) and really helped to improve the edge off that stone. I tried again when I first got my La Dressante ea Blue, and couldn't tell the difference. Bart's tried it but, IIRC, didn't find much difference. If it helps, my guess is it helps guys who can'y get the most from their coti's...

I'll go dig up the old thread.

richmondesi said:
Nick,

I haven't used it with oil. But, if you do, I see no reason to think that it would affect anything after that point. Let us know what you find out... sounds like you got some 'xperimentin' to do B)

Paul

I just don't want to clog the stone with oil. lol

Something bad happened, I was using this stone the other night and the bbw backing slid right off from the coticule, probably from old glue drying out..

I reglued it with super glue as its all I had on hand, I didn't want the stone to break without support.

Back