My Test Revisor

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
Dear Dr. Bartrayralpaul, Just received my 6/8 Revisor that I will use to shadow tests in the grand experiment. I can't remember the model number, but it is one notch above basic and has a nice inlay in the middle of one scale. I was surprised at the amount of warp I can see when laid flat on the stone in the pull stroke position. I used a narrow la dressante bout finisher (of which some of you are familiar) for the major work of honing this beast and finished on a very narrow piece of les latneuses. It easily took a very keen edge.

Just curious, but is there a method of actually bending a warped blade back to straight? It is done with rifle barrels so why not with a blade? I would imagine a set up with a wood backer on the spine and either hammer taps or constant pressure being applied. I am not really going to ruin this new blade, but it is a little disappointing. On the other hand, as a partially recovering perfectionist, the warp just adds a little touch of character.

Slightly Sad in the South, Denny
 

BlueDun

Well-Known Member
Razor blades are hardened to a quite high degree. And hardened steel does not really like to be bent. Do NOT try - or if you can't resist wear protective gear as such steel tends to break and sent shrapnells all over your face!
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
shaved said:
Did you try to send it back and get a straight one instead? Would be easier and less risky.
Thought I would check here first. I have other warped blades that function beautifully, so don't know that i want to send it back after I chose to hone it. Denny
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
shaved said:
Did you try to send it back and get a straight one instead? Would be easier and less risky.
Thought I would check here first. I have other warped blades that function beautifully, so don't know that i want to send it back after I chose to hone it. Denny
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
I would send it back before trying to straighten it as you have a much better chance of breaking it than actually correcting it. If you're inclined to keep it, and you don't mind, then that's the easiest thing to do, but I feel I'd send it back if it were significant enough of a warp for me to feel compelled to mention publicly... Of course, I keep most stuff to myself when it comes to product complaints
 

wdwrx

Well-Known Member
When I was started re-scaling razors, I managed to bend a couple back into shape. One with a couple wacks of a hammer, and one in the vise. Worked pretty good. Then I tried another, and before I'd even put as much pressure as i could with my bare hands, the thing broke and shot a couple pieces around the shop. All of 'em were cheap razors, so with only a 66% rate, I'd recommend sending it back. My rule of thumb is that anything worth more than the cost of postage ain't worth me screwing with.
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
richmondesi said:
I would send it back before trying to straighten it as you have a much better chance of breaking it than actually correcting it. If you're inclined to keep it, and you don't mind, then that's the easiest thing to do, but I feel I'd send it back if it were significant enough of a warp for me to feel compelled to mention publicly... Of course, I keep most stuff to myself when it comes to product complaints
Sounds to me like it is really, really a bad idea to try to straighten it out. I have shaved with it and it works just fine, and I have no knowledge of Revisor quality control, so I am inclined to keep it. Paul, you make it sound like I screwed the pooch bringing this up. What up wit dat? Sincerely, Denny
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
Warp.

Let's start by saying that I don't make this post to defend anyone or any firm.

With that said, allow me to make a statement:

All razors are warped.

There probably is not one razor that is mathematically completely straight.
So why don't we notice? I many cases because they are straight enough for us not to notice.
But in many other cases also, because they were smarter in the old days. They used to put smiling edges on razors. And a smiling edge overrules warp.
I attempted to explain that in
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
.

Hence, I believe the question needs to be asked: how much warp is acceptable? Without actually knowing this for fact, I don't expect that razor manufacturers use some kind of measuring device to weed out razors that are "too warped". So it is probably a matter of a personal nature. I have met one razor so far that I considered too warped. I still managed to sharpen it, and by some strange coincidence, it was one of the smoothest razors I ever had. I gave it away to a guy who never had an irritation free shave in his life, and it became his favorite razor, because it did just that: give him an irritation free shave.

It was a brand no longer in production, hence a return was not an option.

But in this particular case, if you are not happy, I believe you should tell the seller. He has a right to know, as he has the right to make you happy. Either by convincing you that the blade is perfectly within tolerances, or by offering you a replacement if it's not.

Nonetheless, if it sharpened perfectly and it shaves perfectly, than it is a perfect razor in my book. :)

Kind regards,
Bart.
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
DJKELLY said:
Sounds to me like it is really, really a bad idea to try to straighten it out. I have shaved with it and it works just fine, and I have no knowledge of Revisor quality control, so I am inclined to keep it. Paul, you make it sound like I screwed the pooch bringing this up. What up wit dat? Sincerely, Denny
Denny,

I didn't mean it like that at all. I'm referring to my own pattern of behavior and not projecting what I do into what I think others should do.

Some will bring up a slight flaw, but if I mention it, it's because I feel it's a pretty big deal usually. That's all I was saying. By that, I know how I would handle it based on my subjective standard. I'm not at all passing judgment on you or your thread. :)

Best,

Paul
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
Thanks for the clarification, Paul. I still feel like there are conventions in this milieu that I don't fully understand. If anyone has parochial interest in Revisor Razors, I surely meant no offense. I have heard nothing but good about them and in truth, am perfectly content with mine, warp and all. Your friend, Denny
 
Top