ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

nº 36 Has arrived

Paul

So, over the weekend, I missed the mailman twice with a parcel:( , and I picked it up today to find that nº36 had made it's long journey halfway around the world to its new home. :w00t:

I was working with a Gong razor that I had honed and accidentally chipped last week:blush:. After removing the little chip, I wasn't quite getting the keenness that I wanted on my shaptons (before my trip to the PO), so I decided to give it a go on my new beauty. Well, the dilucot worked very well, and I easily got HHT-3 results off the stone. It improved to HHT-4 after stropping, and the dry-test shave patch felt great. Good start! I'll update after the actual shave :thumbup:

Cheers all!

It's really interesting going back and rereading the description of this hone. You tried to tell me how it provided a sensation of "exceptionally fine abrasion", but I didn't expect this. It feels incredible. :thumbup:

richmondesi said:
It's really interesting going back and rereading the description of this hone. You tried to tell me how it provided a sensation of "exceptionally fine abrasion", but I didn't expect this. It feels incredible. :thumbup:

:thumbup: +1 on that one!

I had no idea at how different coticules could feel untill #29 arrived with its very distinct and noticable draw. So far I have only used my coticule bout from ardennes which I previously thought had some draw, but Gary had described it as like honing on glass. I completely appreciate that comment now I have tried another coticule with much more feel.

Im still undecided as to which I prefer more 'feelwise', as I dont yet have the experience with #29. But it seems like I can get a lot more from the feel alone from 29 than the bout, rather than relying on the TPT or HHT.

First shave off of nº 36 was incredible. Two day's growth and zero prep (literally which is rare), but this worked out really well. The shave was smooth and comfortable, and there was no sting from my Trumper's Curzon AS which is uncommon. I'm excited to use it on some more razors :thumbup:

It's an amazing hone, Paul. I'm very sure you're going to have a lot of fun getting completely acquainted with it.
I have really enjoyed reading Gary's posts about his n°21. They started kinda cool, and you could really notice him falling in love with his La Grosse Jaune, post after post (in various threads).
You can call me sentimental, but having assessed all the hones in the Vault, during several honing sessions spread over several days, I really feel connected to all of them, and it's nice to notice how they find good homes and are used with enthusiasm.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart,

Sometimes I envy your position of being able to play with so many great stones, but then I think about the day you take them back to the mine. I bet you do take some pride in seeing these going to guys who appreciate them. I am starting to feel like I'm embarking on a journey, and it's exciting. :thumbup:

Bart said:
You can call me sentimental

Bart you are sentimental.

Sorry, carry on Bwhahahaha!!

Lovely to see 2 people bonding so well with their hones, it takes more time and experience than most think, to truly get to know a stone

Back