ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Nakayama Coticule finished edges comparison

maro said:
Not that I was born with DE shaving skills but... haven't you ever seen your grandpa, daddy, uncle or whoever shaving over those 15 years? :blink: As far as I remember, I was spying on my "forefathers" to learn the shaving technique.
No, my grandfather died when I was 4 and my other grandfather I saw only occasionally on Sunday afternoon, when he was already cleanly shaved. I've never known my dad to use anything else than an electrical shaving apparatus. They gave me one at the age of 14, not long after, the motor burned through. I tried a Braun later on, but it felt like it was yanking the hairs out my face. It was horrid. :cry:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Rosco said:
Bart said:
I think if I were to apply all I learned about shaving ever since, I would probably get stellar results with a DE, a MachIII or any other wet shaving device for that matter.
I always got a pretty close shave from a Mach III. I don't think I get a better shave with a straight. The difference is that now I don't have a constant red patch under my jaw from all the ingrown hairs and whatnot.
However, the more I shave with a straight, the more I think that it is not the tool but the technique which makes the difference.
I used to foam up and scrape off in whatever direction was quickest/easiest. Now I lather with a brush. I shave with the pattern of my beard growth in mind. I know that shaving WTG only, causes much less irritation. And while I now love shaving with a straight, and wouldn't use anything else, I think I could now be very happy with a Mach III or similar.

I really do think that's the case. I hated shaving when I used cartridge razors. So, I'd try and shave as quickly as possible. I used the canned goo, and would shave ATG for the most part. The shaves were close, but my face would get raw and I had ingrown hairs all the time.

I'd try all the 'new and improved' multiblade razors that came out in an effort to ease the 'pain' of shaving.....to no avail. That's not surprising, as I was essentially doing 4-5 passes ATG. :scared: Also, I used quite a bit of pressure.

It was a vicious cycle -
- I hated shaving - so I paid no attention to it - so I rushed the shave - so I got crappy shaves - so I hated shaving.

When I started 'traditional' wetshaving, my attitude changed - Shaving was going to be fun, so I took the time to learn the proper technique, so I overcame mistakes, and now get great shaves.

If I used the same approach (better technique, better products) with a cartridge razor, I'd probably get great shaves. Still, I have no desire to return to cartridges.

I sometimes rushed shaves, but I remember in my cartridge razor days that I would still be a perfectionist and take forever. :p

I did use canned goop, though.

With all due respect to those who claim they have shaved and it was "like wiping whiskers off their face," or "like shaving with a velvet squeegee," I'm skeptical that it is possible to get such a shave on a person who has a normal (whatever that is) face, with normal (whatever they are) whiskers. Maybe it's possible for a person with particularly light whiskers--I wouldn't know about that.

I have been shaved by and I have been shaving with, a straight razor for over 40 years. I have been shaved by barbers around the country and overseas. My own shave is darned good on the first pass and damned good on the second--and I never shave against the grain. I own and have used double edge razors, injectible, cartridge, Schick, Mach II, III, whatever is the latest thing (I like to experiment). I have used straight razors honed by well known honemeisters using just about every hone known to man. Never have I had a shave, by any means at all, that was "like wiping whiskers, or using a velvet squeegee," or whatever is the du jour hyperbole.

I wish there was some way for me to get together with a person who has such a razor, because I'd like to see if it is p[ossible, and how it's done.

Fdennis,

That's a great post. You're right of course. I don't think it's possible to shave without a sensation of shaving.:rolleyes:
But, in my case, it does not hurt, at all, to sever the whiskers from my skin. I presume it's the same for you. And I like to think that is a goal that could be within reach of all man: the shave without discomfort and without skin irritation post shave.
fdennis said:
I have used straight razors honed by well known honemeisters using just about every hone known to man. Never have I had a shave, by any means at all, that was "like wiping whiskers, or using a velvet squeegee," or whatever is the du jour hyperbole.

I wish there was some way for me to get together with a person who has such a razor, because I'd like to see if it is possible, and how it's done.

Maybe if we were to lather up with Nair. Yikes. :D

Kind regards,
Bart.

I guess my post sounds (reads) a little sarcastic, and if it does, I apologize to anyone who was offended. But I'm serious. If there is a way to get a shave like that, I want to know how to do it. All my adult life (mostly) I've been on a quest for a better and better shave.

Dennis,
this interesting post.
I think there are two things to consider, your skin might be very sensitive thus the feeling of roughness during shaves.
The razors you have experienced were not honed to the best potential, some razors just can't take that super smooth edge.
Example of a razor that can provide one of the smoothest shaves: Filarmonica, Fridour, and some Japanese straights that I have experienced. there are other brands but filly and fridour come to mind as more popular.

My beard is pretty tough, and I can get some good shaves off Nakayama. My mandatory test of how good the edge is it has to be able to do ATG under the chin with no WTG pass, with no irritation.
If you are based in US, and have a razor that needs honing, I can run it on the hones for you so you can give it a try.

Back