ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Need assitance identifying a coticule

mainaman

Finally got my first coticule from Ardennes.
It is select grade natural combo, hope the pics are not too bad and thanks for the help in advance.
a9olg3.jpg

2e2mgyd.jpg

21mb79k.jpg

apb32q.jpg

140az3n.jpg

Does it turn distinctively more yellow when moistened?
In that case, Torben is probably correct.

Otherwise, it could be a La Grise as well. Or perhaps a La Nouvelle Veine.
Some Coticules are not that easy to identify.

Can you gives us a few more indicators?
-Does slurry turn gray after a few strokes (apply a bit of pressure)? Light or dark gray after a few minutes of work?
-How's the "draw" on slurry? on water? glasslike?
-Is there a feeling of suction while honing on water?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Does slurry turn gray after a few strokes (apply a bit of pressure)? Light or dark gray after a few minutes of work?
After 20 half strokes per side the slurry is light gray. After 60-80 half strokes its dark gray.
How's the "draw" on slurry? on water? glasslike?
Draw on slurry is not glass like but its not chalky either.
On water only definitely glass like, if the stone starts to dry a little, some swarf from the razor will release.Not sucktion feeling on water, but then again it might happen if I stay long enough. The razor is shave ready before that though.

A few appearance details that did not show on the pics very well. There are a few orange-red specks, the visible veins are the same color as the rest of the stone. The stone does not turn more yellow when wet. Guys let me know if you need more detail.

That rules out "La Grosse Jaune".
I'm leaning towards "La Nouvelle Veine".
Look carefully at the surface while wiggling it under a light source. If there are "mirroring" spots present, it's most likely a La Nouvelle Veine. If the stone has an even mat shine, it's a "La Grise".

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
That rules out "La Grosse Jaune".
I'm leaning towards "La Nouvelle Veine".
Look carefully at the surface while wiggling it under a light source. If there are "mirroring" spots present, it's most likely a La Nouvelle Veine. If the stone has an even mat shine, it's a "La Grise".

Kind regards,
Bart.
There are sparkling spots on the surface, I'll file it under La Nouvelle Veine.
Thanks for your help Bart and other gents.

Back