ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New Coticule/Member

Welcome to Coticule.be
Here you will find all the information you need to truly get the most from your beautiful new stone, hopefully someone with better identification skills will come along, and help to name the layer, please use the search feature and ask questions, I am sure we can help :thumbup:

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

I'm gonna say La Dressante.
Not because I know...but because I love guessing. :/
I'm determined to get one right!

More importantly...welcome to Coticule.be. :)

RicTic said:
I'm gonna say La Dressante.
Not because I know...but because I love guessing. :/
I'm determined to get one right!

More importantly...welcome to Coticule.be. :)

Out of sheer recusancy, I am going to say it's a (rare) glued La Veinette.

It just appears a bit too pale for a La Dressante, but knowing how tricky it can be to go by pictures and how whimsical La Dressante can be, Rictic could easily be right.

Without more data, or even a chance to try the stone, this one might turn out impossible to determine.

Welcome to Coticule.be!

Bart.

I'm going to say La Dressante (to defy Bart?). It looks like it has a couple thin black lines and looks pale like some of the ones I've seen. It also seems to have some of the tell-tale wavy lines that have a "cracked" appearance. Do those look holographic at all? Maybe they're actually cracks; I can't tell. My guess is that it's one of the harder specimens and will oxidize a little bit. It probably is hard to raise slurry on, at least with one of the harder slurry stones. Does any of this seem to fit your experience with the stone?

Oh, and welcome!

Thanks to everyone for their welcome and input.

The stone is indeed very pale yellow and buttery looking. The wavy lines aren't cracks and do look holographic. Although the "t" in the middle with the 'dot' looks like a stress fracture to me. I did feel that it was hard to create a slurry although I'm not that experienced with slurries. I was going to use this as a finisher (well as a start) as I just have three shave ready straights. I did touch up one razor with it and it felt good, comfortable and sharp. I did use a slight-slurry and tried the half strokes ending with quite a few regular water only x strokes. I did not notice the slurry darken and I may have been too cautious in regards to pressure. What would the oxidation look like and effect be? Bart, when you mentioned glued, did you say that in regards to the corner crack/line with the darker deposit?
It is a select grade, 150mm x 50mm.

Zot! said:
Thanks to everyone for their welcome and input.

The stone is indeed very pale yellow and buttery looking. The wavy lines aren't cracks and do look holographic. Although the "t" in the middle with the 'dot' looks like a stress fracture to me. I did feel that it was hard to create a slurry although I'm not that experienced with slurries. I was going to use this as a finisher (well as a start) as I just have three shave ready straights. I did touch up one razor with it and it felt good, comfortable and sharp. I did use a slight-slurry and tried the half strokes ending with quite a few regular water only x strokes. I did not notice the slurry darken and I may have been too cautious in regards to pressure. What would the oxidation look like and effect be? Bart, when you mentioned glued, did you say that in regards to the corner crack/line with the darker deposit?
It is a select grade, 150mm x 50mm.

Yup, it sounds like a La Dressante from the upper part of the layer. Those lines are veins of something. I don't know what. One I just sold has black/brown lines like that. The holographic lines are also found in this part of the layer. I found that a bit of pressure helped with the one I had. The stone I sold was an average speed on slurry and faster than average on water. Remember that you don't need a feathery-light touch like on most synthetics (except on the last strokes on water on a coticule, in which case a light touch helps). You won't really notice the oxidation (if there is any) on these unless you lap it. That's how I noticed the oxidation on the one that is formerly mine. Also, Bart wasn't referring to glue in regards to the dark vein. He meant that the coticule is glued to a slate backing. La Veinette is a thin layer, so they are found as natural combination stones (with a rare possible exception) with BBW on the other side.

You will find that that stone will be a good all-around stone. It will probably be easy to use as a finisher, though.

No, I meant that it is glued to slate. The layer I was talking about is usually naturally bonded to BBW rock, so they don't need to glue it to a slate backing.

With the extra information you provided, it becomes more likely that Rictic and Danjared are right with their determination about La Dressante.

I'm going to ban them both.:lol:

Kind regards,
Bart.

PS. the oxidation effect is that the stone's surface becomes a bit darker from longterm exposure to (sun?)light. The La Grosse Blanche layer, for instance, turns chocolate brown over time. Bot only on the surface. If you use it, the color turns cream again.
The discoloration has no known influence on the abrasive properties. La Dressante doesn't normally show this, unless maybe over a very long time period.

Bart said:
No, I meant that it is glued to slate. The layer I was talking about is usually naturally bonded to BBW rock, so they don't need to glue it to a slate backing.

With the extra information you provided, it becomes more likely that Rictic and Danjared are right with their determination about La Dressante.

I'm going to ban them both.:lol:

Kind regards,
Bart.

PS. the oxidation effect is that the stone's surface becomes a bit darker from longterm exposure to (sun?)light. The La Grosse Blanche layer, for instance, turns chocolate brown over time. Bot only on the surface. If you use it, the color turns cream again.
The discoloration has no known influence on the abrasive properties. La Dressante doesn't normally show this, unless maybe over a very long time period.

Another candidate for post of the year:lol: most usefull? no but sure was fun...

Zot! said:
You aren't making fun of my newbie questions are you? :blush:
Not at all Ron. We were just bantering a bit among the members who typically love to try determining layer names.
If you have any further questions about your Coticule, or its use, don't hesitate asking. That is the main reason why this forum exists.

Kind regards,
Bart

I realized that from the smilie faces Bart. My post was more of a self denigrating, tongue-in-cheek, comment!

Back