ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Jim1

Members of Coticule.be,

I am grateful and thrilled to be a new member! I have been exclusively using a straight razor since June of 2009, though I have yet to purchase a coticule or even shave with a coticule-honed edge.

I disobeyed the tenets of many at another shaving forum and learned to hone while learning to shave with a straight razor. Though I have nothing to compare my work to, I can comfortably say I have enjoyed more than a year of excellent shaves on my handful of razors of varying types and grinds. I firmly disagree that honing an edge to shave-ready sharpness is a mystical art, as some would have me believe. I do find it challenging, enjoyable, and rewarding though.

I have grown tired of my two Norton stones, rather, synthetic powder amalgamations, and their incessant need of lapping.

I have grown even more tired of the straight razor forum of which I am a casual member. I saw how the goon squad reacted to 'treasonous' dissenters in the last year or two. I've seen how they've continued the same in the last week or two.

For these reasons, among others, I've come here. I would like to learn more about the stone that threatens the dogma, and perhaps better educate myself should I decide to buy one. Plus, my glances at this site also indicate that its members communicate in complete sentences, freely exchange ideas, and have factual basis in their assertions (all are gulps of fresh air, believe me).

Thanks in advance for letting me participate!

Sincerely,
Jim

Welcome on board Jim,

Hope you will enjoy your coticule journey.

Jim said:
I firmly disagree that honing an edge to shave-ready sharpness is a mystical art
First of all I was thinking like you, but now I'm getting more and more convinced that there are wizards among us :lol:

Regards

Laurent

Jim,

Welcome to the Cafeteria. I don't know anything of recent behavior of any other sites, but I can assure you there's been no drama here for a while.

I would encourage you to take advantage of the free honing offer to experience a coticule edge.

Welcome again, and enjoy your time here :thumbup:

Best regards,

Paul

Welcome, Jim.
You're a man after my own heart, it seems. I too learned to hone and shave all at once. Well, almost; I did have a short affair with disposable edge straights.

I hope you enjoy your time here as much as i do.

Jim said:
I firmly disagree that honing an edge to shave-ready sharpness is a mystical art, as some would have me believe.

Thanks in advance for letting me participate!

Sincerely,
Jim
Then you're firmly correct. If you have a modicum of coordination and bags of patience and with the help of the guys here...it's a walk in the park.
Great fun too!

Welcome to the wizards coven, Jim. :thumbup:

Good wishes,

David.

Welcome aboard, Jim. A very nice introduction you made have, yes. I hope you will truly enjoy the company. :thumbup:

Jim said:
I would like to learn more about the stone that threatens the dogma, and perhaps better educate myself should I decide to buy one.
I'm afraid that - sooner or later - it's inevitable, my friend. B)

Now, I've got no idea what other place are you talking about? mwahahaha! :lol:

warm regards,
Matt

Welcome Jim.

Thank you for your kind words about this forum's aspirations. I've made it my business not to know too much about what's going on elsewhere, but I'm glad the vision we try to honor on Coticule.be does not go entirely unnoticed.:)

Enjoy your stay!

Bart.

Welcome, I joined the forum recently, just started with straight razor shaving, by all means try out the free honing service. I got myself some shave ready razors but Bart send me a razor honed on a coticule and it was a much smoother and forgiving shave. Greets Ron

Hello Jim,

You sound like somebody that fits this place well. So, welcome and enjoy!

BlueDun

Hello Jim and welcome from me too

I hope you enjoy it here, and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Hello Jim,
I must say that there is no magic in my honing, but from what I have heard there is an apparent force leaking the domiciles of Bart, Ralfy and a few others. I have tried no coticule edges myself from one of our great honers, I hope to one day. I can tell you this much, I like the edges that I get.

Back