ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New Torbo Strop

DJKELLY

I will post this in Marketplace just to be safe and not get chided by the Enforcer.

I just received my strop/s from Torolf after a wait of a couple lifetimes. I now have a new favorite. The linen side is just what I expected from all the praise they have received here on TOCB. It works great, and he sent me extra to use with Thiers Issard paste or some such. But the leather.....

Wow, Torbo, it has the best draw I could imagine. Very much like the Kanayama and I don't know anyone who doesn't like that. I am very glad you talked me into the narrower 2 inch model. Just like a narrow hone, it concentrates the stropping effects in a smaller area and is immune to warping.

The handle hardware is the best I own, also. It is very easy to grip the "inverted T" handle in several different, very efficient ways.

All in all, I would highly recommend these strops and know why his logo says "Scrupleworks". Thanks, Torbo. I will honor the craftsmanship that went into this strop. Maybe I should order another so it will get here before I die.

Your sincere and Chrislike exhuberant:w00t: friend, Denny

I have to agree with you on this one
I think I have the hemp stop together with a pike strop given a new live by Torolf and I just love it!

cheers
Stijn

I would love one of these, if I start saving now I reckon I could afford it by the summer ;)

How do I order one?

Regards
Ralfson

P.S I will move this thread to a suitable area
Damn Yankee

Hi Denny,

Glad you like them! I guess those mule drivers could read...:)

I would just mention that what Denny is talking about are strops like the ones that were up in the fundraiser.

regards,
Torolf

I would like to inquire also about the strops. I did see them in the fundraiser, but was wondering if they are ever made/sold on a regular basis.

IsaacRN said:
I would like to inquire also about the strops. I did see them in the fundraiser, but was wondering if they are ever made/sold on a regular basis.
Yep. By that dude right above you in the thread. Tolrolf's the name and I am sure he would love to hear from you in a PM or something.

Right. Torolf kindly sent me a strip to retrofit onto SRD hardware. I was expecting something good. I was not prepared for what I received. I have only used it for about a week so far, but the leather is already the best I have ever used. It is velvety smooth, but without the excessive draw of latigo leather. So far I liked the draw of the Old Traditional best, immediately followed by SRD's Premium IV English bridle leather. But Torolf's is a cut above. Like the linen, the craftsmanship of the leather strop is perfect, making it one of the very best strops I have ever used.

Now I need to talk Torolf into selling me an extra long strip. And take pictures. :)

This calls for a thorough review. Here or on Cutthroat, I don't care.

Kind regards,
Bart

Interestingly enough, Torolf thought that leather was not that good... His "good" one will be interesting to play with

I must say that I truly enjoy the strop that Torolf restored for me. The leather is the original "Belgian Shell" and the linen is Torolf's. This thing is one of my favorites.

Thanks for the the kind words, Robin, I had my reservations for this leather in that width.

I also think this leather provides excellent results. What guides my personal view of it is the thickness. It is a thin leather (1,5 - 2mm) with special characteristics. I prefer a thicker leather, and for example, to use this leather in a SRD/Tony Miller hanger set-up requires the stitching on of end caps, due to the spring. The plus side to this is that it can be rolled without damage.

I attempted to obtain this in a thicker quality, but the tannery closed before it could be arranged.

Deighaingeal, sorry for the misunderstanding, both the linen and leather on that strop are the original vintage. I just cleaned up the linen...

regards,
Torolf

Um, would someone mind sending this thread back to Marketplace? It seems to me as if it would be more appropriate...

No worries, this is all very well within the limits of valuable consumer information. As long as no direct sales are negotiated or blatant advertising is published, the thread belongs here. Well, actually in the Razor's Inn, if we were to apply the section descriptions.

There has to be a distinction between the passionate craftsman selling the fruits of his labor and the profit seeking salesman looking for a platform to market stuff he doesn't really care about as long as it sells at high profit. You are as far on the good side of that line as I can imagine.

Kind regards,
Bart.

My apologies Torolf. I must have assumed by the cleanness of the linen. Either way I am continually impressed, thank you.

Back