ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New Twin

Jantjeuh

Hah, I can not believe the razor I got in the mail today!

Look at this guy, I bought it second hand from the net. And I don't know what it costs new, but it's flipping new!

Look at this baby!

The pic is a little blurry, but the razor is in top notch condition, I am truly amazed and very happy :w00t: It needs a new bevel because it seems to have been honed on asphalt or something lol, but that can be fixed and is to be expected. But damn, I don't know what to say? What do these razors go for new? I doubt that a Henckel is less than 100 EUR? My *new* razor has more rust than this one.

twin.JPG

The one thing that strikes me, is that this blade is VERY small compared to the others I have, it's a super lightweight, like it's made from carbon fiber or something.

However, it has some tiny nicks in the edge, very small, do I hone it normal or do I breadknife them out? I'm thinking of taking my time and honing like usual, no breadknifing

It's a 4/8 blade. Due to the lower weight, make sure it is very keen, or you won't like the shave. When keen enough, they truly offer a unique shaving feel, very eh... well... eh, "light".:rolleyes:

I "breadknife" only frowning edges, heavily rusted edges, and edges with chips that occupy more than 2/3 of the bevel. Otherwise, it will not safe you much time and only introduce possible difficulties (See Ralfy's recent thread http://www.coticule.be/the-cafetaria/topic/76.html)

Bart.

How do you see the 4/8 just from the pic? Amazing.

It didn't need breadknifing, it's soft as butter compared to the Bartmann & Sheffield steel, I wonder what steel it is. It's really extremely soft.

I'm going to follow your tutorial to the letter as an experiment, to ensure maximum keenness then :)

Don't have the power to shave anymore tonight, but after following the unicot method with the tape and so on, it doesn't pass the HHT. It is like I'm cursed to never experience to joy of a working HHT :mad:

Will shave in the morning, I really like the blade. I'm considering keeping this one and giving my brother another bigger one that is a little easier to shave with then :sneaky:

Bart, I checked the blade size, and it's exactly the same size as the Dovo Astrale you honed for me when I visited. However, this one is very hollow, the Astrale almost looks like a wedge compared to this one, without exaggerating.

I'm really not convinced this is an old razor, it has NO hone wear on the spine, the only wear it has now is where my tape wore out before I noticed...

Maybe it's a 5/8 after all. Maybe in between. I was only guesstimating.:D

Please tell me something about the hair you use to perform the HHT.

It belongs to my beautiful girlfriend :blush: It's not very 'fat', not sure if that would play any role in it. I remember the hair you used was definitely fatter (I'm not finding the word here, but I mean like, you habe people with thin hair, and people with ... *fat* hair, thick?), but not too sure now anyhow.

Anyway, I really followed your description, boy does that method work fast! And the coticule has the same dimension etc... And the steel is definitely not hard, I'm going to call this one my butter knife or something, that's how easy it was to hone.

I'll let you know how it shaves!

Is that a Henckels?
Not sure if discussing prices would do any good because razor prices tend to rollercoaster depending on buying “mood” and how much “tout” certain razors get.
But that Henckels (and I suspect it may be somewhat larger than 4/8th… 9/16th?) in such good condition it should fetch a pretty penny… have a look at these past auctions to get an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...07014&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=130339952126&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=260499951282&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

If it’s new it should have little or no bevel and be very easy to hone, I would imagine would need much fewer strokes than a regular eBay butterknife. And knowing the Henckels reputation should be great shaver.

Yes I would like to know how she shaves.

Jantjeuh said:
It belongs to my beautiful girlfriend :blush: It's not very 'fat', not sure if that would play any role in it. I remember the hair you used was definitely fatter (I'm not finding the word here, but I mean like, you habe people with thin hair, and people with ... *fat* hair, thick?), but not too sure now anyhow.
I think it's "thick" hair. The idea is to use hair that shows a number of possible outcomes correlated to sharpness. There are 2 obvious possibilities: The first is that maybe you haven't managed to make a razor that sharp yet. I highly doubt that. I have talked complete newbies through the Unicot method and they could pop hairs right off the hone. So I guess it's the second possibility: the hair is not responding very well. Tell me it isn't dyed, is it? In any case, you need to "harvest" the hair in a freshly washed condition. Natural oil interferes with the cut, we don't prep our beards for nothing.:rolleyes:
Screw the English language.:lol: I'm going to talk Vloms to you. Jan, ge hebt stug haar nodig. Hoe stekeliger hoe beter.
I use a strand of my youngest daughter's hair. It's fairly sturdy. Coming straight off the hone, I pick a thicker one. Testing after stropping, I use the thiner ones.

Best regards,
Bart.

Jantjeuh said:
It belongs to my beautiful girlfriend :blush: ......

Wait till she is asleep, then get a pair of scissors and snip a few at the root, that's the bast part... don't worry, she wont miss it:sneaky: ... I think?....

Just pray she doesn't wake up and catch you red handed.... errrr... scissor handed?:confused:

She would get a heart attack :D

Yes the hair is dyed, is this a problem then? :cry:

I'm about to shave with it, very curious :love:

My razor is exactly this one if I'm not mistaking: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280417107014&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D280417107014%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

So seems like I got lucky! Anyhow, I think it looks very plain, I'd never have paid that much for it.

Post shave comments:

Close but no cigar!
WTF was ok, but I could feel around my chin that it is not a sharp or comfortable as the Bartmann.

Now it is extremely hollow, so perhaps they are less comfortable to shave with, I don't know.

Anyhow, went all three directions, no cuts which is great, but the ATG under the chin area is not close. Another ATG pass would have solved it, but I used the same routine as for my other razors.

Not sure what I can do to improve it, perhaps I'll try the dilucot method?

Too many variables to really tell what's wrong.

Let's save us both a lot of time. Tell me when you have time for a visit at my place. How far apart are we? 40km? An hours drive? The beer's on me. If you like, I can set up a "shaving night" where you can meet some other straight shaving fellows as well. The wifes are always present too so bring your girlfriend. They usually have more fun than us gentlemen. (They generally get drunker too, but then again: they don't need to shave, some time after midnight. :D )

Bart.

Hey Bart,

I'll have time the weekend of 19 - 20 December, and I'll be staying at my parents place which is next to/near you (and even my home is near, I think it was about 30-40min drive, nothing special). I'd love to pay you a visit again for sure. I think it's the only weekend between now and 2010 where we didn't book any trips!

My girlfriend is not ready to go to a shave night yet, that I promise you :) But thank you for the invitation on her behalf :p

Me on the other hand, need to show you the Bartmann also! B)

Hi and congrats on a super new razor
I do not own a henckles but understand them to be a very good razor indeed :thumbup:

A little Hijack here
Sir Bart, what is the problem with dyed hair? I use my wifes Pink hair and also it is fine, very very fine, I cannot even see it without my spectacles.

Jantjeuh said:
Hey Bart,

I'll have time the weekend of 19 - 20 December, and I'll be staying at my parents place which is next to/near you (and even my home is near, I think it was about 30-40min drive, nothing special). I'd love to pay you a visit again for sure. I think it's the only weekend between now and 2010 where we didn't book any trips!
I'll try to set something up on the Saturday 19th December. I'll keep you posted.
Jantjeuh said:
My girlfriend is not ready to go to a shave night yet, that I promise you :) But thank you for the invitation on her behalf :p

Me on the other hand, need to show you the Bartmann also! B)
She probably has a completely wrong idea about it. It's not that different than a cozy evening with some friends at home.

By all means, if you can't convince the girlfriend, do convince the Bartmann to accompany you.:w00t:

tat2Ralfy said:
Sir Bart, what is the problem with dyed hair? I use my wifes Pink hair and also it is fine, very very fine, I cannot even see it without my spectacles.

I don't know. Dying does things to hair. Cheap dying products make the hair brittle, but some products counteract that by adding all kinds of ingredients to strengthen the hair-fibers. It just seems best to use freshly washed untreated hair.

But, if your Alicia's hair works for you, and you've calibrated your expectations on it, by all means, don't change a winning team on my behalf.

Bart.

Well thats just it, her hair is HARD to catch and pop
If I use someone elses, or better yet a badgers hair I get an easier pop, I guess at least I know if I get a pass on Alicia's the edge is very SHARP!...lol

I use the arm hair test too but on my legs and stomach, I think you can get some real feedback popping 1 hair at a time from different areas on yourself

Back