ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

FiXXXer

I just received my coticule on Monday, and I've dulled one of my two razors (Gold Dollar, which had a dull spot anyway) to work on Bart's 6 day plan. I haven't gotten it to a point where it can shave arm hair yet, but I feel like I'm figuring out the X-stroke a little bit. My only other straight razor at the moment is a Wade and Butcher, and it's feeling like it needs to be refreshed. If I were to try touching it up on only water, how likely do you think it would be that I'd make it worse than it is right now? I'm guessing it's probably not the best idea, but I'd like to have it sharp enough to continue learning how to shave with a straight.

If you're confident that you can keep the razor stable on the hone (without lifting the spine, or tilting the blade so it catches at the edge of the hone), there is no single reason to be afraid of honing on a Coticule with water. You can literally do 1000 additional laps on an already perfect Coticule edge, and it'll just stay perfect. You won't even loose much steel (as long as you keep pressure at minimum).

A Coticule on water is as gentle as it gets.

Best regards,
Bart.

I'll have to give it a try then, thanks for the advice. Worst case scenario is having to send it out to a professional I suppose, so not really much to lose. :thumbup:

Go for it chap, as Sir Bart said just be sure you dont use any pressure apart from the weight of the blade itself, and go steady. also I would mark the edge with black marker pen to be sure you are contacting it evenly, and keep the hone nice and wet.

Yes, please use free honing service if necessary (not from just anybody, but you know... :thumbup: )

Bart said:
FiXXXer said:
I'll have to give it a try then, thanks for the advice. Worst case scenario is having to send it out to a professional I suppose, so not really much to lose. :thumbup:
You are aware of our http://www.coticule.be/free-honing-service.html, are you? :)

Bart.

Yes sir, I've been lurking here since I first started thinking of buying a hone. The unbelievable wealth of information you've provided here is the main reason I decided to purchase a coticule.

FiXXXer said:
Yes sir, I've been lurking here since I first started thinking of buying a hone. The unbelievable wealth of information you've provided here is the main reason I decided to purchase a coticule.

Its wonderful to hear that Fixxer, and welcome to coticule.be, if theres anything you need to know the guys on here can I am sure give you the best advice and information you are likely to find on Coticules.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back