ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Oil on blade...

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about how messy putting oil on a blade can be...and I thought about maybe soaking a linen strop in baby oil or something? That way you could just do 10-15 passes on the strop and a light coating of oil would go on the very edge...Anyone ever tried that?

Cheers,

JF

I was actually thinking in the same direction but not on a strop maybe just on a piece of cotton something like Dennis mentioned here

regards
Stijn

Hi,

I use one of these, an abura tsubo. Not as nice perhaps as the traditional bamboo version Robin mentions in another thread, but mess-free. There is hard cotton batting in the container, which is filled by unscrewing in the middle. Then the red cap can screw off, exposing the cotton, for easy application.

k310582a.jpg

I just use hot water from the tap and a bit of tissue to wipe the oil off.

regards,
Torolf

It looks handy indeed if you coat your razors every day after use but I think you can accomplish rather the same by taking a empty jar (e.g. from pills, the old dafalgan, ...) put oil in it and ad some wadding(you know the things women use to remove make-up)

regards
Stijn

jfdupuis said:
Cool! and how do you wipe it off? Do you run it under water or do you use a tissue?
So far I have been just wiping it off with a piece of toilet paper. Putting the blade under hot water probably will partially wash vasoline off and also melt it, thus making it even easier to wipe. But I have never apparently needed it. It's so sticky that you really need just a little, and you can see clearly if the blade has been thoroughly covered. When I'm about to hone a razor, I use petrol distillate to clean the vasoline off, but maybe hot water and paper will be enough?

cheers,
Matt

I have a thin, long bottle with alcohol and few drops of mineral oil.

Before I use it, I shake the bottle. Then I dip the blade. With synthetic scales, I dip the pivot area too. For scales made with wood, horn, etc. I avoid dipping the pivot area. Not sure what heavy embedment of alcohol will do for those material. I just rub the same mixture on the metal with my hand around the pivot area and blow around pivot - hoping it will disperse, or at least moisture will be blown away.

Alcohol evaporates leaving a thin film of oil. That is the hope any way.

Vaseline might be the better option for longer term storage. I need to get some.

For what it is worth, I have an old horsehide strop that I neatsfoot oiled. After a shave I do my stropping on it and that seems to work well for my razors.
Respectfully
~Richard

urmas said:
I use sometimes tea-candle and sometimes Ballistol. However, the candle is somewhat more conveinient to use. I got inspiration from there:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Jl...AEwBjigAQ#v=snippet&q="tallow candle"&f=false

What a wonderful article :thumbup:

I lightly oil the blade with 1 drop of Gun Oil, then carefully wipe it over with my finger, the 1 drop does both sides and if it seems too much, i wipe my finger dry, then wipe the blade over again, until its only just moist, of course great care must be taken at the edge, I use a slight stropping action ACROSS the very edge, to keep my finger safe.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

It's too dry to worry about such things in the Chihuahuan desert. I use a humidifier to *add* moisture. :p

Thanks Ralfy,
I'm using oil exactly like you... scary, how similarly two people may act.

Warning to my fellows:
I'm afraid that you shouldn't use technical/mineral oils on your razor blade... that means... on your face. And thats because, they might contain harmful additives.

Regards,
Urmas

Thank you for your concern Urmas.
Rest assured that I clean the blade with a small piece if tissue paper before each shave. :)

Kind regards,
Bart

Back