ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

OMFG!!!

DJKELLY said:
Sliver is a little bit of a misnomer for Chris' stone. He had mentioned needed something in the range of a slip stone for woodworking tool maintenance, so I cut a 45mm wide bout on a bit of a diagonal so he could get it into smaller applications. On one end, it is probably a bit over an inch wide and half that at the other. I would imagine (I'm on the road) it is about 3.5 inches long.

I would suggest a stone as wide as a razor box or so and just long enough to do safe half strokes. Gary can attest to the efficiency of that small a stone. I have several stones I am thinking about cutting down and will send you one. It is really not a problem and certainly cheaper than a motorcycle. I don't know which layer, probably a la dressante, but it will be great for travel and practice. I think a narrow hone has several advantages over a wider one, and wide ones have some, too. I almost always finish on a narrow Les Latneuses. Send over your address, Gman. Denny

I can indeed . There is no dout a small hone works just fine.40mm wide is just great even 30mm. As for lenght, 100mm or just over is fine.

gary

I have a la Petite Blanche thats the size of my index finger, its more like a slurry stone than a hone, and its a dream to use, the small point of contact with the steel allows it to cut very well indeed, and it doesnt notice smiles or warps at all, the knack is keeping the slurry hydrated, and of course a steady stroke is vital, but once mastered its wonderful.

Someone :sneaky: sent it to me with my Les Latneuses, knowing that I would be very tempted to use it as a hone and not a slurry stone, I am very grateful that "he" did, it has become one of my "Secret weapons" for problem blades :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I think I really like the narrower width. It took a bit of getting used to, and I know i blew more than one stroke on it, but I could see the effectiveness of it. And it's got such incredible feedback.

I did a part shave with a Dovo done on the Les Latneuses, and it was as nice as anything I've used yet. Considering the guy who honed it originally has "honed thousands of razors" it doesn't even seem like the same razor. Huge improvement.

Considering I started with monster 8"x3" bench stones, I find that the smaller ones are much nicer to use.

wdwrx said:
Considering the guy who honed it originally has "honed thousands of razors" it doesn't even seem like the same razor. Huge improvement.......

Hahahaha it's amazing what a little love for the task, the right tools, and attitude can do....

Even for a Canuuk hahaha

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

garyhaywood said:
I can indeed . There is no dout a small hone works just fine.40mm wide is just great even 30mm. As for lenght, 100mm or just over is fine.

gary

That is very correct. In fact I brought a couple of small hones with me from Ardennes today. I promised Maurice I'd make a video about the use of small Coticules for razor honing. They cost 25€, provide as good an edge as any Coticule, and there plenty of choice.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I'm enjoying and getting better results off my La Grosse Blanche bout, over my La Dressante au Bleu regular hone.

Back