ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

One of these days......

king

...when your smile is from ear to ear :lol:
So, today morning I recived Gotta razor in trade. The razor is in perfect condition (NOS) but it was not shave ready at all and it had just one little chip (barely visible but it could be feel by TNT) 0,5 cm from the heel.
I decide to hone out chip first with the coarser stone that I have (Naniwa 1k). First I did few dulling strokes on glass. Then I put one layer of electrical tape to the spine and honed untill chip is missing. After that I dull edge once more time and made bevel repair on Coticule. When razor start to shave arm hairs I proceed with dilutions. After 10 sets of dilutions razor shave arm hair easily. Then I follow next Dilucot steps. After finishing on water HHT was something between 3 and 4. Finally strop on linen/leather and HHT is excellent 4.
After all I am glad because this is the first time when there are no steps back (one rubbing by slurry stone...few more dilutions...water....strop etc...). This time Dilucot success from the first attempt.
Just one bad thing is that chip did not missing completely but I think it will not ruin shaving quality because it's near heel. Also I think it will going out in next few touch ups.
Maybe someone will ask why I proceed with Coticule untill chip is gone??? Hm, because I can not feel it by TNT and I tought it's gone but at the end it was still present (much more smaller than when I start to hone it out but still present :mad: ).
I also think to start all from the beggining but I do not want to wipe out this nice Dilucot sucess ;)
So, thanks to all for great advices on this Forum.

Kudos. Feels good, huh? :thumbup: The process of learning and advancing is truly a great experience. I'm happy for your success, keep it going.

best regards,
Matt

Perfect . Now you are the <honing King>.Don't hone more to extinguish the microchip especially
near heel. Continuous honing on the 1K stones you increase the edge width and the injury is more than a microchip.Enjoy your razor .I have a Gotta 8/8 ,is an excellent shaver.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Ecellent!

Enjoy the shaves and your success.:thumbup:

A very small chip, certainly when its corners are nicely rounded by slurry hone, usually stays unnoticed during the shave. If, so my advice is always to allow the chip to disappear as the time passes by, during the occasional rehoning when the razor demands it.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Wonderful indeed :thumbup: congratulations on the success, and here is to many more happy honings and smooth shaves, as said from me on the small chip, if you do not notice it when shaving, it will slowly be worked away as you touch up and eventually rehone, however if you enjoyed honing the razor, and feel inspired to repeat your success, you may well enjoy working on it again to remove the chip.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Thx for nice words.
For now that chip does not represent problem till shaving so I will let it and honed it out in next few touch ups.

Back