ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Opinions requested.

Hello folks, I've got a question for ya.

Just recently I purchased my first straights, and now I am looking for my first hones.
I've seen a listing on ebay for three water stones at roughly $50 bucks together.
The coarsest is a 160 x 60 x 16mm 5000 grit stone.
The next is of the same size, and 8000 grit.
And the finest of them is a 150 x 50 x 17mm 12000 chinese stone.
I don't believe these come with any slurry stones.

Here's a link if you'd care to peak;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360226728785&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any and all advice shall be muchly appreciated. :w00t:
Thanks

David

The Chinese hone has a good reputation. It's a very slow hone, known to give an excellent edge if you take the time it takes.

About the 2 unbranded synthetic hones, I know nothing, so I can't offer any advice on these.

Quite frankly, I would postpone buying hones right now and first learn the skill it is to shave with a straight razor. It takes the average person a few months to reach a minimal level of competence. Sharpening razors may sound like a simple task, yet most people struggle for a while before they get the hang of it. During the learning curve, you'll need to be able to assess your own results. That's next to impossible if you have to second guess whether a bad shave was caused by lack of shaving technique or a lacking razor's edge. There's plenty to learn in the beginning: optimum beard preparation, mapping your face for direction of growth, learning how to guide the razor, figuring out how to get the tricky spots smooth, maintaining the razor with a good strop. (Stropping technique itself has a learning curve that resembles that of learning how to ride a bike). So there's months of fun tackling the various challenges ahead of you. Sharpening your own is the crown to put on all those acquired skills.

The setup you're suggesting for sharpening razors would probably be ok and the price seems sweet, but I think you run the risk of buying a setup that you wouldn't buy again after a few months of practice. If it's having sharp razors you worry about right now, I'm sure we can arrange help for you at the cost of postage.
Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks Bart:D , that all makes a great deal of sense. It is as if you have said that a time or two...

I actually forgot to ask if you still had any da's I could get from you (this post was a rewrite as I lost internet connection in the middle of the first attempt's composition) that I could make my learning razors, as I'd like to keep my Henckels in a good shape for once I'm ready for a nice blade. I figure if I'm going to risk learning the hard way I'd want to do it on something I wouldn't cry over. ;)

Once more, thanks!

David

That setup was precisely what I bought as my first hones.

The 12k is a extremely slow performer and personally I didnt like it one bit.

The 5k & 8k are no where near the promised grit size. Have a Naniwa 3k that feels finer than the mentioned 8k. I really wont recommend any of them.

If you will go for a synthetic there are better options, Norton,Naniwa DMT etc.

Or you could have you first razor honed by Bart or Ray. I believe both of them offer this service for _one_ razor as a part of the free honing service.

Then you could concentrate on stropping and spend time determining the right hone for you.

Best advice I can give....Surely there will be other opinions as well;)

Regards

If you really want your own setup may I suggest that you add something in the coarser range (~1000).
Bevel setting on a 5000 is something you do not really want to go through.
That said I fully agree with Bart's statements.

Regards
BlueDun

Ohhh bugger...hadnt seen Sir Barts posting...

Well if you want, you can lend my hones,doesnt use them anyway.

Regards

Cinemaphile said:
Thanks Bart:D , that all makes a great deal of sense. It is as if you have said that a time or two...

I actually forgot to ask if you still had any da's I could get from you (this post was a rewrite as I lost internet connection in the middle of the first attempt's composition) that I could make my learning razors, as I'd like to keep my Henckels in a good shape for once I'm ready for a nice blade. I figure if I'm going to risk learning the hard way I'd want to do it on something I wouldn't cry over. ;)

Once more, thanks!

David

Yes I still have a couple DA's available. Just send me an e-mail with your address and we'll make the necessary arrangements.

Best regards,
Bart

Back