ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

paddle strop or linen/leather hanging strop

garyhaywood

How many of you are using paddle strop only after a coticule honing? I own a srd paddle. I also own linen /leather hanging strop. there is no dout for me that it is a must have , to have linen/leather for a succesful coticule edge, providing i have a good hht of the stone , i find linen/leather takes the edge to a higher hht, and anice keen smooth edge. does a paddle wrk as well? i don't think so, in my experiance. i always recomend a coticule honer needs a good linen/leather strop, as i no it works , in my opinion better than a paddle strop alone, what do you guys think, do any of you find paddle strop works just fine, or that hanging strop with linen, work s that bit better?

gary

I am with you Gary.Linen /leather hanging strop after coticule.Is the tool that lifts the HHT after honing. I thing that paddle strop is suitable for them using pastes after honing.It isn't a good idea
for the coticulers. Sorry I am quite opinionated.
Best regards
Emmanuel

This thread is particularly interesting to me because I only have a paddle strop (SRD modular), and likely will until it wears out. However, I am curious to know if the advantage of the linen would translate well to a paddle strop? I see Neil Miler does it, but I don't know if others do. Is it the linen that shapes your answers, or is it the hanging vs. paddle?

In my opinion, linen on a paddlewould not work as well, as linen hanger, the slight move mant in hanging strop works so much better in my opinion
gary

Emmanuel said:
I am with you Gary.Linen /leather hanging strop after coticule.Is the tool that lifts the HHT after honing. I thing that paddle strop is suitable for them using pastes after honing.It isn't a good idea
for the coticulers. Sorry I am quite opinionated.
Best regards
Emmanuel

i totaly agree, and i have tryed padles loom strop with linen and leeather would be better , due to slight flex.

I would have to agree about paddle strops, in general. But I think this only applies to the rigid types that are now available (leather strips affixed to wood). The TI paddle is very nice on the buff side for their paste, but I find the smooth leather side unsuitable for stropping.

A common design from before was a padded paddle. The leather was raised like a pillow with the wood used only as a base for holding it. I have not tried more modern versions of this with flat padding, but I am a little skeptical of those, just because the padding doesn't seem to be thick enough (and the leather too thick). I also see people who have taken off the "pillow" on these old strops, replacing them with flat strips. I don't see the point in this at all.

The pillow design is remarkably effective, providing the same type of flexibility of a hanging strop. All of the ones I have seen had at least one side pasted, usually something black...

The downside to these is they are best constructed with very thin leather, so if you are someone who nicks strops, they are not the best choice... And, of course, when everyone thinks thicker, like bigger, is better, I believe these little gems are overlooked.

I also enjoy using loom strops. A very underrated piece of kit...:)

regards,
Torolf

Here is a picture of a pillow type. It is the side away from the camera. It can be seen that the leather is folded around the padding and attached to the paddle.

Paddle_resize.jpg

Not owning a loom or padle strop, take my opinion with some reserve.

The slight flex offered by hanging strops, looms and the 'box-strops' with the air cushion Torolf is talking about to me seems almost logically to offer better opportuniies for the edge to be in contact with either leather and linen with greater certainty.

Also when stropping heavier grind blades, either after honing or in general, being generally honed with fair amounts of tape it will require a larger 'stropping angle' i.e. the strop will have to be held less taught than for lighter grinds that are more prone to bend towards the strop, if you catch my drift. Sounds logical enough to me.

thats another good point. i'd be a little uncertain if a unicot edge was making full contact with my padle and travel padle, my travel paddle is vert rigid. so if the spines have been taped a hanging strop would be no problem, just how i think, but most important to me, is that coming of my coticule i need a hanging strop to make that last bit of differance, the paddle never worked as well , i find hht works better of a good linen/leather. if some one is finishing on shrpening paste. paddle strop wwould be fine, because the paste will buzz the hht right up, thus keeness, then just leather would be enough for me on eaither padle /hanger, even news paper, may be.

gary

After honing on coticule I go to my loom strop with a small amount of paste on it (one side Red Iron Oxide, other side Chromium oxide paste. Same thing as the green and red paste from Dovo but bought by the pound it's very cheap in comparison to the small tubes)

The loom strop is made by a Belgian Straight razor shaver (author of a straight razor shaving book) and works extremely well for me.
spanriemwinkel.jpg

I use linnen and leather before each shave and the loom strop once in a while to touch up. Of course I could touch up on a coticule but I'm happy with how this works for me.

paste does work very well on paddles, or loom strops, i'm taliking about coming straight of the stone. Coticule to strop, with linen/leather hanger. have you ever tryed using apaddle strop with no paste , just leather, straight of coticule, no paste? if so is the edge in comparison with pasted paddle . i found after coticule honing, and most of us on here want to get a non pasted nice coticule edge, with out paste . So the use of a hanging strop with linen'leather sems to be all i would need.

I notice a big difference, or maybe it is in my head, doing extra linen passes coming off of my coticule before the leather.

garyhaywood said:
paste does work very well on paddles, or loom strops, i'm taliking about coming straight of the stone. Coticule to strop, with linen/leather hanger. have you ever tryed using apaddle strop with no paste , just leather, straight of coticule, no paste? if so is the edge in comparison with pasted paddle . i found after coticule honing, and most of us on here want to get a non pasted nice coticule edge, with out paste . So the use of a hanging strop with linen'leather sems to be all i would need.

garyhaywood said:

Hi Gary,

I've used linen/leather straight of the stone, it works, the HHT improves but I like my razors a bit sharper then what I can get from coticule/linnen/leather. I don't have that much experience in honing so for now this works best for me.

thats totaly understandable, i still use balsa hone with crox, if i'm not quite sharenough, then back onto coticule, it does work very well. just latley i have had some killer edges of my la vainette with out crox balsa or pasted strop. these edges are very smooth and absalutley keenenought, straight of the strop, i must say you carn't beat shaving of te stone , if the edge is at its max, if not crox balsa will certainly get me there in a jiffy, just 5 laps thats all i normaly ned.

gary

Over the weekend, my brother was here visiting. After honing on my LPB, he stropped and came away with a razor that passed the HHT-4. He wasn't thrilled with the shave, though, and I encouraged him to hit the linen and leather again. It made a huge difference for him. I'm not advocating it for everyone, but I've literally done 200 linen/200 leather before to get an edge "right" when I'd struggled... I'm too hard-headed to use pastes despite the fact that I know, from experience, that they work very well and with less effort :D

i've done just that , i'll go linen leather then stone back to linen, may be as many times as it will take. I find its improved my edges many times.

gary

Gary,

I have used paddle strops almost exclusively for the last ca three (3) years - my mainstay at present is a Neil Miller Aluminium modular. The panels I use most often are tallow tanned leather, linen & 0.5 micron CrOx dusted cow-hide. I now have an alligator panel dusted with 0.25 micron cubic boron nitride that I comparing with the 0.5 micron CrOx.

Since I got the Tony Miller horse-hide and the Torolf hanging strops from you, I have been using these quite a bit recently.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

i remeber you saying you liked your paddle strop. if i was finishing on paste the paddle i have from srd would be perfect, its strange but a freshly honed coti edge real benifits from a linen, such as neil miller linen. why i'm not sure but it just does.

cheers gary

Gary,

+1 to that; the linen certainly seems to make a good deal of difference :)

Have fun & a good Sunday.

Best regards

Russ

Back