ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Perrex Razor

rattlerviper

I am working on fixing up a Perrex razor. One side of the spine is stamped 115 PERREX the other is stamped Garanti, the blade has a etch on it with the Perrex logo. I am not interested in removing any pitting, just the active oxidation and what not and giving it a shine. It has no scales. I am undecided whether I will buy a set from somewhere, make a set myself, or send it up the road a few miles to Ray (Straight razor sharp) for a set of his scales.

Does anyone know any history of this blade? What country it was manufactured in? Approximate age?
Thanks guys!
Charlie
[img=800]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1778/20101023165902.jpg[/img]

Well the image is there...but it isn't all showing and it is huge! Sorry about that guys. If you right click the photo it will allow you to see a normal size photo showing the full blade by choosing VIEW IMAGE.

PERREX and Garanti... I suspect French.

Also maybe it's my imagination, but the face appears to have a faint etching... you may want to have a careful look at an angle to confirm this.

Thanks to whomever resized it for me!

Yes indeed the blade does have a very light etch on it. The etch is in French. So a French razor then. Hopefully that is a good thing:confused: No country of origin means pre 1880? Wow this thing is old.

Indeed you may be right, however, I am not sure they were making full hollow ground razors (German hollow grind with the double stabilizing piece) before that date (again... not sure... I would have to look it up).

It may have been manufactured after that date but exclusively for the French market (not for export)... thus there was no need for "country of origin" mark.

BTW. I see no pitting on that razor... or are my eyes deceiving me?

Thanks for the info everyone. I just wonder about this blade because I feel a certain fondness for it.

Smythe your eyes decieve you slightly. The pitting is very minor and concentrated around the spine. Mostly on the back or the spine. Like I said it is VERY minor. I do not wish to destroy the character of the blade...the history. It is old and well cared for (minus the missing scales) and that is what makes it so intresting and beautiful to me. I am sure if it was NOS I would not care so much for it.

Well i tell you... I have had a few French razors (none of the well known French brands) and none have ever disappointed.
I am sure when yours is re-handled and sharpened will be an excellent shaver... Keep her dry.:thumbup:

shaved said:
I'd second 'produced in solingen for export to france'. Here's another [1]. The machines used to make these razors where introduced to germany in 1893. It looks a bit worn (different width over the length of the blade) but should shave well.

[1] http://fine-razors.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=7

I hadn't noticed the uneveness to the blade before. I actually just took it to a ruler. There is a 1mm difference between the heel and the toe (the toe being shorter). You have a good eye!

Back