ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

pressure

garyhaywood

bart or any one else. when you say try a thew back and forth strokes to try and get a tadge more keeness in water stages. how much pressure are we talking a good finger load followed by some light strokes?

i've just watched your dilucot video. And it does look like you use a good finger load of pressure there bart. i just wonder if i'm not using enought somtimes. i watched the way you firmly place your index finger on the razor.

I use the same as when doing half strokes on slurry, you have to be careful not to use a load or let too musch water run off the hone, if you do it makes that "Fingernails down a blackboard" sound that my wife like so much! hahaha

Best wishes mate
Just off to shave with the DA you honed on my vintage combo

Ralfson (Dr)

i tend to stop well before the end of the hone just as bart does . i find my hybrid side and some coti's can get real grabby and i have to hold the blade down a little firmer to keep it flat on the hone

Whenever I decide to go for some pressure, I always do the same, regardless I'm in the bevel setting stage or finishing. I don't really discern between different levels of pressure. Instead I just try to make sure the finger applies the pressure and not the wrist. A while back, I have measured that pressure: I place the Coticule and the razor on a kitchen scale, zeroed it, so I would only measure the weight I was applying myself. It was in between 250 and 330 grams.

In general I finish without any significant pressure. Doing Unicot, never use pressure after the tape is on. Doing Dilucot, pressure may help to pick up the edge, when it stopped following during the dilution stage. Going back to very thin slurry (sometimes only 1 or 2 rubs with the slurry stone) probably has the same effect.

To sum up, I think I use 4 levels of pressure:
1. pressured halfstrokes (250-330g)
2. normal halfstrokes (just a finger resting on the blade)
3. X-strokes (no finger on the blade, allowing the weight of the razors to do the work)
4. swift, "breezing" X-strokes (only used for the taped stages of Unicot, for finishing and to finalize touch-ups.

Kind regards,
Bart.

what i do now is use enough pressure to keep the blade down with my finger finish with normal light x;s . strop and if hht is not up to scratch. i just go back to fogy slurry mode and start with back and forth strokes and finish on water with light x stroke. i repeat this untill i'm happy

garyhaywood said:
what i do now is use enough pressure to keep the blade down with my finger finish with normal light x;s . strop and if hht is not up to scratch. i just go back to fogy slurry mode and start with back and forth strokes and finish on water with light x stroke. i repeat this untill i'm happy
That's a great approach, Gary. I think it doesn't matter that much how you get the edge reaching the final keenness, as long as you get there. Finishing light is always worth the effort.

Kind regards,
Bart.

ah just found some scales. see what you mean now . may be i have used more pressure at times . at least i have a good idea now. just a nice finger load not much force .

Back