ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

prices of straights

torbenbp

Am I the only one that thinks the prices for straights are going in the wrong direction: UP?

When I started - less than a year ago- you could buy some cheap razors in fair condition.
And now it seems almost impossible to get a razor at a fair price at eBay. Some jerk always outbids me ;-) So lately I`ve focused on other alternatives and with luck.

Is straight razor shaving becomming popular? That sound quite unlikely..personally I havnt had the pleasure of meeting another straight razor shaving guy!

Well ..just a thought..And who needs more than one straight? ;-)

regards gents

There's a revival going on in the most of the "developed" countries. Razors are small items that can easily be shipped overseas, which explains why they fetch such high prices on the internet, and (on average) much lower prices at local antique shops that have to sell to a limited audience.

That's what I make of it.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart

Yes, but the amount of razor for sale has gone up..did a quick search a couple of weeks ago and some 3300 were for sale. A simular search a couple of months ago resulted in 2500 hits.

So supply and demand doesnt quite seem to reach natural balance.

Well..not in need of more razors anyway..nope..no I`m not.Honestly..

Regards gents

I think that lists of good razor brands like the one we maintain in the SRP Wiki are guilty. And, of course, positive reviews of razors. Vendors are not entirely stupid. I just lost in an eBay auction for a Puma 89 in good condition (with water stains). I've been wanting one for two years, and was willing to go up to USD 200 for completely irrational reasons (which is not like me at all, but this razor has been irking me for too long). I was outsniped by someone with 8 eBay purchases. Can't be straight razor shaving beginner.

There is absolutely no rational explanation for this price. The razor is comparatively rare, yes, but not that rare. There are a number of vintage Solingen "brands" (small manufacturers, long defunct) that are not known to too many people, and those can still be had for reasonable money. Not to forget the tsunami of 7/8 NOS Friodurs on eBay. So there is still hope. Except, of course, for me and my Puma 89 :mad:

Now...just did a count : Got 20 straights so unless its something really special (and affordable) this will be it. Though I`m always on the look out for a great deal offcourse:|

But will keep an eye at the scandinavian markets instead of eBay. Prices are much lower and so is shipping.

And hey..if prices keep going up, I`m gonna be rich:p

regards gents

I was watching that same razor! Did you happen to see the filarmonica 14 that skyrocketed?

I agree wholeheartedly that the prices are really starting to take off, but what I wonder is when if ever they'll slow down, and how much more increase in the vintages we're going to see.

I think that some of the rise in popularity is due to the cost of blades, not to mention the low quality shaves one gets with today's safeties, which is why I just bought my first ones http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320520665601&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Well, that's my two cents...OH! I just realized, this is my first post! The name's David and it's a pleasure to meet you fine gentlemen :D I will most definitely be hanging around, so ya better get used to me. Or Bart could just kick me out. But I'D BE BACK!!! Even if it was under a different name and with another email...

Anywho, really looking forward to becoming a competent straight shaver and I hope to someday help a young buck like myself do the same.

David, Welcome to Coticule.be.

It was an introduction with hurdles, as the server upgrade decided to ignore your presence.;)
But that doesn't mean you're most welcome at our cozy Cafeteria.

Kind regards,
Bart.

David
Welcome to Coticule.be. There is an active group of us here in the states, just so you know you can feel at home here. Don't hesitate to participate and have fun.

Ray

Awwwr shyucks you guys...:blush: , you fine folk certainly know how to make a guy feel welcome!

It was an introduction with hurdles, as the server upgrade decided to ignore your presence.;)
But that doesn't mean you're most welcome at our cozy Cafeteria.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Let this be an early sign of my dedication :p

Welcome to Coticule.be. There is an active group of us here in the states, just so you know you can feel at home here. Don't hesitate to participate and have fun.

Ray

That is rather comforting to know. It's a bit...intimidating to see all these lucky Belgians with their excellent stones right in their own backyard ;)

That`s some very nice straights for a first buy!:thumbup:

I sure hope they prove to be every bit as good of shavers as they look. I've been looking around ebay and srp and other such straight razor acquisition sites for nearly a year, probably longer and haven't found (with the exception of one stag handled W&B cleaver that received a fair nicer penny than was able to offer) any that screamed at me like these two have. I don't know that I'll shave with them just yet, I'll probably pick up some cheap but decent straights to practice with first. In fact, Burt, if you still have a couple of those da's I would be interested in procuring them from you. One factory and one Burtified. I really like the idea of having something to give me an idea of what to work towards.

Okay, I think I had better stop now before I continue into my novel. Thanks all for the kind words and may your blades never dull and may your shaves be ever impressive!

I need to vent my anger. I bid on a Puma 89. A Puma 89 is just a razor. It is nothing special, nor is it really a collectible (unlike a Puma Gold, for example). I set the maximum bid to three times the price I would have been willing to pay, because I have been wanting that razor for more than two years now, for purely personal reasons, not because I expect it to be the best razor I own (Bart will tell you that that is hardly possible).

Well, it went for a lot more. I am seriously, seriously disappointed. And I absolutely hate what those bloody RAD people have caused, ie fanatics who will buy anything as long as the brand is well established.

Anyone got a Puma 89 with rubber grip thingy he does not need any more? :mad:

You lost on another one? Or are you just venting again? Ive only held one Puma, it was a while back and I couldn't tell you the model. They are nice razors, but overhyped IMO.

BeBerlin said:
I need to vent my anger. I bid on a Puma 89. A Puma 89 is just a razor. It is nothing special, nor is it really a collectible (unlike a Puma Gold, for example). I set the maximum bid to three times the price I would have been willing to pay, because I have been wanting that razor for more than two years now, for purely personal reasons, not because I expect it to be the best razor I own (Bart will tell you that that is hardly possible).

Well, it went for a lot more. I am seriously, seriously disappointed. And I absolutely hate what those bloody RAD people have caused, ie fanatics who will buy anything as long as the brand is well established.

Anyone got a Puma 89 with rubber grip thingy he does not need any more? :mad:

Hey Robin,

I am not sure if mine is an 89 or not. I will check, but mine with the rubber grip is one of my favorite razors. If it is, and since it doesn't mean as much to me as getting one means to you, I'd likely be open to a trade or something. FWIW, I got mine on the German eBay site for a very reasonable price $150 US IIRC

Cheers

Dont even go there :blink:
I just missed out on a Otto Duestch Hans, in good condition and it wasnt that pricey, just the auction was in another time zone and finished at twat oclock here, out bid by 1 dollar!!!
Man I have wanted one of those longer than any other razor.

Robin,

It's not an 89, it's a 6/8s Nº 63 INOX steel, but it has a rubber tang and faux tortoise scales. I know it's not what you were looking for, but the offer stands.

richmondesi said:
Robin,

It's not an 89, it's a 6/8s Nº 63 INOX steel, but it has a rubber tang and faux tortoise scales. I know it's not what you were looking for, but the offer stands.

I'm quite content with the razors I have at the moment. But there is still one that I would love to have. A Puma with the rubber johnny on the tang. If Robin doesn't want yours, would you consider me for some kind of a deal?

Rosco said:
richmondesi said:
Robin,

I'm quite content with the razors I have at the moment. But there is still one that I would love to have. A Puma with the rubber johnny on the tang. If Robin doesn't want yours, would you consider me for some kind of a deal?

Sorry, that's an offer only valid for Robin (non-transferrable). I didn't even make this available to my brother when I got him started shaving with straights.

Yes it is. It also is an excellent shaver. It's probably my single favorite razor. Mine has the ribbed rubber grip, and the goldwash is cleaner, but that's a beautiful razor! :thumbup:

Back