ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Raw coticule hone 2

decraew

An hour or two with a belt sander got me this: B) :thumbup:
Io and behold: An Image
Natural%20Hone%201%281%29.jpg

I like the rough edges so I'm not going to totally smooth the sides. There's a crack running through more than half of the length but the coticule luckily didn't break! Any ideas what layer this could be ?

update: it IS a fast cutter (or at least a moderately fast cutter), as Bart thought. :thumbup:

Nice piece you picked up there, Wim.
Looks kinda like La Veniette, with some La Grise running through and some spots of La Dressante sprinkled over it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let us know how it performs!

That's a great looking rock!

Wim, if you enclose your link between
Code:
[img]www.EXAMPLE_LINK.jpg[/img]
tags, it will show up directly in your post.

regards,
Matt

Looks like a good size, Wim, and beautiful! Have you tested it out yet?
Of course, it could be a bit of hybrid that fell off the back of my Les Latneuses...:rolleyes:

regards,
Torolf

Matt said:

Code:

regards,
Matt
Muchas gracias !

It looks great. You've got some manganese lines in there, which usually indicates a fast hone. I don't know why, but I personally seem to really get along well with Coticules that carry thin black hairlines, exactly as the ones we see in your hone. Usually (but not exclusively) they're found in the La Dressante layer.

Don't inhale too much Coticule dust! ;)

Bart.

decraew said:
Matt said:

Code:

regards,
Matt
Muchas gracias !

Someone beat you to it! :D

Boy there sure seems to be a lot of new coti's showing up all of a sudden.:w00t:
You guys have some beatiful stones!
The "rustic" look is so cool!

wdwrx said:
In my books, that would be considered a feature, not a flaw:thumbup:

Thanks! I also see it as an additional feature, not as unfinished business.

Maybe Maurice can start a new line of products : "La Rustique"

decraew said:
wdwrx said:

I've been thinking of that too. He should consider selling raw chunks for the rustic types who like to do the cutting and lapping themselves. I will bring it too his attention next time I see him.

Kind regards,
Bart.

It reminds me of Japanese naturals. I would really enjoy having a raw chunk like that at some point

Bart said:
decraew said:
wdwrx said:

I've been thinking of that too. He should consider selling raw chunks for the rustic types who like to do the cutting and lapping themselves. I will bring it too his attention next time I see him.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I would be down with that!
It's just so..... earthy.

A friend of mine (he's also a carpenter) was on vacation in Belgium in the Vielsalm region a few weeks ago and he found a really big ass piece of coticule wich he brought home with him. The dimensions were roughly 40x27x18 cm's (there also were some unusable inclusions in it). He cut it up and also gave me a piece. The colour is a very pale yellow with lots of black manganese lines running through it and it's fast with a capitol F. It's one of those once in a lifetime finds.

Back