ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Raw coticule hone (3)

decraew

The mrs being out of the house I used the opportunity to create a lot of coticule dust. Below's the result, a hone made from raw coticule. I had to have 2 sides on this one cut because they seemed instable to me.

Looking at it optimistically it's about 12cm x 8cm but especially in the width it may need additional trimming. I'll leave that up to Urmas, whom I've promised this stone to. I wouldn't say it's got a skin condition like another natural hone I saw :p but I would rather say it's got nice freckles.
Any ideas about the layer folks ?

Gunner777

You may be right on it being unstable. I'm not expert but it looks like if you dropped it it would split in the middle. Is that what you thought?

decraew

I think you're referring to what seems to be a fault line at the top. Actually this line doesn't extend in the lower layers so it's ok. The 'unstable' stuff I had removed was something similar but waaay worse. I wasn't sure what to do with the sides however: there are serious chips out of the stone there. Saw that off, you end up with a better (=more regular) shape but only +/- 6cm to 12cm.

Gunner777

Yep that's what I was talking about. I haven't done much cutting of stones especially those so I can't help much sorry.

TM280

Good luck with the stone! Looks like there is a bit of lapping to do though.
What I found on the ones I have prepared is that there can be a greenish layer with what seems to be quartz inclusions (had it in a very nice piece of Les Latneuses). Shiny. I can't tell from the pictures if those darker layers are shiny or not. Just green shouldn't be a problem, I think Maurice said it was chlordite? Softer than steel. But I have had to lap through the quartz, losing much of the layer I wanted to preserve:(

These layers in a stone are like buried treasure, enticing. But I continuously remind myself that a bird in the hand...

regards,
Torolf

decraew

Well Torolf, funny thing you should mention shiny inclusions. The very small brown speckles you see on the stone ?
They do shine. Don't know whether those are the much afeared quartz inclusions though ...

TM280

Not all that glitters is gold. Or harmful. ;)
Run a razor over it, if it the type of problem I had you won't want to do it again...

regards,
Torolf

urmas

Hi Wim, and Torolf,

I've recently been thinking about my collecting habit and/or dependence and I've come to the conclusion that I must not obtain any new coticules at present time, maybe sometime in future but not now. I have 2 beautiful coticules whose qualities I'm not fully mastered yet.
That's why I thank you for your generous offers and I want to say that I currently do not want to (I shouldn't) get any new coticules.

Thank you friends,
Urmas