ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Razors can be to hard

Deckard

Just got done doing a full hone job on my Dovo rennasance ss.
2 hours later and 2 layers of tape got me respectable hht 3 off the stone.
What a SOB this boy is to hone, very chippy edge and I've seen this before on other razors.
It's my opinion the there is an optimal hardness and these examples are to hard or grain growth has occurred during ht.
It's not my favourite shaver, so after a few shaves I think I might dull it and ask another to hone this one to confirm my opinion about this steel.

I 'e honed a couple of these and found them realy not the easiest to hone. I found it difficult to get a great hht at the time when i hone one . what i would recomend is hone the razor on one layer of tape. with your coticule, check the edge and see if its taking shape with out chipping. it should. do full dilucot ish. Then add two more layers of tape and do unicot. I'm sure this will give you an amazing edge.

Gary

I can confirmed your opinion my friend because i have the same razor. Its a gift from an Greekamerican friend bought it from Classic shaving. Its indeed a little hard to hone it,but once is well honed lasts for a long time.I hone it by dilucot method it take me about 30 minutes for a full dilucot.It is not my favorite shaver too, because i find others simple razors more easy to hone and best shavers concerning the smoothness.
You have to apply more pressure on half strokes procedure .
Best regards
Emmanuel

garyhaywood said:
what i would recomend is hone the razor on one layer of tape. with your coticule, check the edge and see if its taking shape with out chipping. it should. do full dilucot ish. Then add two more layers of tape and do unicot. I'm sure this will give you an amazing edge.

Gary

Had a shave with this one tonight and was a bit ropy though end result was ok.
So I took Gary's advise with one twist. Did dilucot with taped spine on my dresante which is a fast cutter and the bout I've learned on. 2 extra tapes added then finished on my le Veinette which is a 200 x 60, one rub at 30 x then 50 x strokes on water. At 100x the edge looked beautifully straight, the hht 3 was more of a silent cut than a catch pop. will shave Friday to make my mind up.
Thank you Gary.

Joey

You are not alone!!
As an old machinist, I will say that there is a difference between "hard" and "tough." A good Solingen is hard and they hone that way, and may chip. Stainless steel is tough and resists the effect of the stone. It almost heals itself on a hone. I can't give you a chemists/metallurgists definition of which elements cause this but tough it is, probably the chrome. A hardened stainless steel can take hours to properly hone. I was at a razor get together and two really experienced honing persons were there and each of them took over three hours to hone a pair of ss razors (like Hess 44s) from a factory edge to a good shaving edge.
Respectfully
~Richard

agree Richard.But i can say are not all the friodur same .I own a 5/8 vintage which is normal and you can hone it like a simple carbon.Contrary the Renaissance presents an unusual behavior.Personaly i believe that is harder because the mentioned razor lacks heel trimmer.And is not only the hardness ,is like the aluminum resistance when machined.
Best regards
Emmanuel

There are any number of reasons for chippy edges, mainly metalurgical.
I have my suspicions with this one but don't know the actual ss spec and enough about heat treating recipe for this flavour of ss to comment. If the quality control was off at heat treat then the question is " is it worth the time and effort getting that killer edge if edge maintenance will not keep it up to snuff?" How many good shaves would one get before a full hone job is required.
Does anyone know what these shavers are made of?

i'm sure the edge will hold up, bart uses this method on his ti's.:thumbup: tim zowda hones all his razors with one layer of tape. he adds a further two. then he does only 20 laps on a escher or coti . he does'nt create a second bevel but slightly works the tip. i have honed a couple of razors both ways. Full dilucot with one layer. Then add two more layers , then unicot or just 20 laps on coti . I would say on a good razor its the smoothest and one of the sharpest shaves i ever had. agtg was just literaly one swipe and the stubble was whipped away. i would say the edge was closer to a feather blade. Its a lot of tape , i used this method on martys s/s dovo vogue.reson being i had the same problem with edge breaking down during honing. I even had tiny grains of steel in the slurry. It was like little bit of sand , then i realized it was little grains of steel from the razor.

gary

yes it did:thumbup: i take some pleasing, i even pick fault with my best edges. Joe sent me the dovo to hone up. I shaved with it and refused to rehone the edge joe acheived. I dout i could do any better .the edge was very smooth and shaved efortlessly. the hht was buzzing . i new straight away it would shave very well. well done with that one joe , its ot a easy razor to get a good edge of, you got a perfect coticule edge of this razor . Which honedid you use, was it your lv it felt like a lv.

gary

i see you said lv in previus post. It was smooth and i would say mellowish edge? what do you think?

gary
mellow edge s my favourite.

Yeah,
My first experience with lv as I'm new to it.
My only shave with this one was the day after a some what ropy shave so still had a little iritation going on. None the less the shave itself was very impressive, when I get it back I'll leave a couple of days growth before hand and take it through it's paces.
In the past this shaver has been horrible, what a difference a hone makes.

If Gary says the edge is as good as his own, I too would be very pleased...:)

:thumbup:
Bart.

Bart said:
If Gary says the edge is as good as his own, I too would be very pleased...:)

:thumbup:
Bart.

Of course, I am indeed.
The real difference from previous is the fact that 3 layers of tape were used.
Credit where credit is due, without this advise I have struggled previously with this razor.

Joe

Back