ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Red coticule

jkh

Hey all. I received this "red" coticule (on the left) from Jarrod at The Superior Shave last Friday.

Coticule_Bout10_Select_Reds_1.jpg

This weekend was pretty busy, so I didn't have much time to play around with the stone. Anyone have any information about these reds stones? The picture, as with almost all coticule pictures, doesn't do this beautiful stone justice.

Regards,
Jeremy

Nice looking stone. We want an update! How's it working out for you?

jkh said:
Hey all. I received this "red" coticule (on the left) from Jarrod at The Superior Shave last Friday.

This weekend was pretty busy, so I didn't have much time to play around with the stone. Anyone have any information about these reds stones? The picture, as with almost all coticule pictures, doesn't do this beautiful stone justice.

Regards,
Jeremy

It doesn't look red on my screen. Even after taking it to Photoshop and correcting the white point (based on the supposition that the paper background is white), it still looks yellow/orange. Could be a La Grosse Jaune, or some exponent of the La Dressante group.

I look forward to what you can share about speed and feedback.

Kind regards,
Bart.

This coticule is "soft" and provides quite a bit of feedback. The stone seems reasonably fast with slurry, but I am having trouble reaching the desired keeness when diluting (i.e., I need more practice with this stone). I gave a blade 50(ish) strokes on just water and there was a little bit of slurry build up on the blade. I ran another blade through a full dilucot. The HHT test off the stone was HHT-0/HHT-1. 60 laps on canvas and leather took the edge to HHT-2/HHT-3. The shave was marvelous. Whilst shaving I could tell it wasn't the as keen as it should be, but it sure kind to my skin :thumbup:

Please note: I have only used one other coticule, so my observations are severely limited due to inexperience.

Bart - The stone isn't red. Orange with a good amount of pink. The spots on the stone are yellow. I'll try to catch a picture of the stone in sunlight to better represent the color.

Conclusion - This stone is a lot of fun!

That's a lovely stone. When you end up with a violin on the HHT, after the full Dilucot, Put some water on the surface and make 5 sets of 10 halfstrokes on either side. Apply some pressure. Rinse the hone again, and give it another set of 10 per side. Rinse again and finish with 60 laps on water. Watch the water, it must run up the edge. If you need to add a tad of pressure for that to happen, please do. End with 20 of the lightest strokes. That should normally bring your HHT up to 3, even if it's close to the holding point. Strop the razor very well on linen and leather.

Let me know what happens, ok?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back