ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

removing a chip

garyhaywood

Tonight i tryed removing a chip medium one with my fast coticule. It took ages and things were getting messy with slurry building up even though i was halve way there.I switched to my little dmt1200 to save my coti wearing, It still took a long time, after just a tiny bit to go i swithched to coticule to finish of repairing the chip and finished with dilucot. The razor is now shave ready. All in all it took me nearly two hours. I decided i need to invest in somthing coarser. I'm not sure what to get i'm looking norton 220 or dmt 600 with that i may get the 325c both in 6x2. Any recomendations to help me decide?

I would say my coti would take care of tiny chips micro chips etc, Also the the coti sandblasted the dmt scratch pattern away in no time.

I haven't actually posted your paddle strop back yet, so before you go out and get something, let me send my norton 220/1k with the paddle to you so you can try it out for yourself! :thumbup:

DMT 600 is all you need, my friend. If I had a chance to start over with everything I know now, I'd get that and a coticule. My bank account would be so much better off :p

That's in the true spirit of this website, James.:thumbup:

I personally couldn't do without my DMT-C/F for repairs. I have the double sided one with the holes.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/duosharp.htm I also have the base, which I find extremely useful.
Unlike honing which I do exclusively hand-held, repair is often done guiding the razor with both hands.

I have a 15 minutes rule: if I get the idea that something will take longer than 15 minutes on a Coticule/slurry, I jump down to the DMT-F (600 grit). If I get the idea that also on that hone 15 minutes won't suffice, I'll flip the stone to the C-side (325 grit). With that approach, "breadknifing" the smile out of a Double Arrow and recutting an entirely new bevel takes about 15-20 minutes on a DMT-C. Next a minute or 2 on the DMT-F to replace the scratch pattern of the DMT-C. Than one downstroke on glass to remove all shaving ability, and the rest is a piece of cake with a Coticule. If I stay focused, I can to the entire job, from "breadknifing" the entire edge to "shaveready" in less than 40 minutes. The complete DMT setup I'm talking about costs about $120.

Best regards,
Bart.

towliff said:
I haven't actually posted your paddle strop back yet, so before you go out and get something, let me send my norton 220/1k with the paddle to you so you can try it out for yourself! :thumbup:

Thank you for offer james but i just order the duo plate. I prefer the idea of non soaking and lapping . Realy nice thought.

Bart said:
That's in the true spirit of this website, James.:thumbup:

I personally couldn't do without my DMT-C/F for repairs. I have the double sided one with the holes.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/duosharp.htm I also have the base, which I find extremely useful.
Unlike honing which I do exclusively hand-held, repair is often done guiding the razor with both hands.

I have a 15 minutes rule: if I get the idea that something will take longer than 15 minutes on a Coticule/slurry, I jump down to the DMT-F (600 grit). If I get the idea that also on that hone 15 minutes won't suffice, I'll flip the stone to the C-side (325 grit). With that approach, "breadknifing" the smile out of a Double Arrow and recutting an entirely new bevel takes about 15-20 minutes on a DMT-C. Next a minute or 2 on the DMT-F to replace the scratch pattern of the DMT-C. Than one downstroke on glass to remove all shaving ability, and the rest is a piece of cake with a Coticule. If I stay focused, I can to the entire job, from "breadknifing" the entire edge to "shaveready" in less than 40 minutes. The complete DMT setup I'm talking about costs about $120.
I managed to order that same one from uk alot more expensive, Betime i paid any taxes and delivery probably would cost near enough the same. Bart do they need cleaning now ansd then . I use nail brush and ajax/or jiff on my dmt1200. So do use any pressure when using the duo sharpener. I would'nt think i'd have to. Just to make sure after 600 mesh go staright to coticule ,after 325 mesh go straight to 600 mesh untill i've smooth 325 marks away then coti slurry as usaul.

garyhaywood said:
I managed to order that same one from uk alot more expensive, Betime i paid any taxes and delivery probably would cost near enough the same. Bart do they need cleaning now ansd then . I use nail brush and ajax/or jiff on my dmt1200. So do use any pressure when using the duo sharpener. I would'nt think i'd have to. Just to make sure after 600 mesh go staright to coticule ,after 325 mesh go straight to 600 mesh untill i've smooth 325 marks away then coti slurry as usaul.

I've cleaned mine only once or so. I don't really care that it doesn't look new, as long as it performs well.
I do use (lightly) pressured halfstrokes at times. When doing repairs, we're basically shaping the bevel, not as much sharpening it (although razors easily shave arm hair coming off the DMT-F. A Coticule could easily remove the scratches of the 325 as well, but it's the jaggedness of the edge that's a bit faster removed on the 600 than on a Coticule.
Both sides need to be broken in very well, before using razors. Lapping a piece of raw Coticule leaves the DMT's that much gentler. Care for a chunk (postage on you)? That said, raising slurry on it, and rubbing it around with a flat piece of steel and some pressure, achieves the same.

Best regards,
Bart.

So what do i do just rub raw cotricule against both sides. What if i just use an older razor and hone the hell out of it on both sides would that work if not yes i would'nt mind paying postage for a chunk.

garyhaywood said:
So what do i do just rub raw cotricule against both sides. What if i just use an older razor and hone the hell out of it on both sides would that work if not yes i would'nt mind paying postage for a chunk.
When offered a free "chunk" of Coticule, just say yes.:D :D :D

Kind regards, my friend.

PS. yes the "honing an old razor" strategy will work too.

Bart said:

Kind regards, my friend.

yeah... that's exactly what I was thinking as well :lol:

Bart said:
garyhaywood said:

Kind regards, my friend.

I have had/caused myself a lot of hassle in the past coming off a diamond plate, the edge can be very rough, with heavy microchipping.

Err I say Sir Bart how many chunks of raw do you happen to have?

Back